It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousand Oaks Residents Buying Up Guns

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: Groot

How does a gun stop a bullet?

Stops a person shooting the gun. Makes a person think twice before shooting up others .

I am guessing you are anti gun and from Australia? Am I wrong?

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
Good for them! Now if they would start voting the liberals out of office, they might build themselves a nice little State.

Of course the “journalist” is a bit disingenuous, stating they were purchasing guns out of “raw fear”. Arming yourself because the police can’t protect you and your family isn’t raw fear, it’s prudent decision making.

Not to mention that anyone who studies history knows that a government disarms its citizens prior to the “round ups”.

Please tell me about those specific incidences from history.

1929: The Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929-1953, 20 million dissidents rounded up and murdered.

1911: Turkey established gun control. From 1915-1917, 1.5 million Christian Armenians rounded up and exterminated.

1938: Germany established gun control. From 1939-1945, 13 million Jews and others rounded up and exterminated.

1935: China established gun control. From 1948-1952, 20 million political dissidents rounded up and exterminated.

1964: Guatemala established gun control. From 1981-1984, 100,000 Mayan Indians rounded up and exterminated.

1970: Uganda established gun control. From 1971-1979, 300,000 Christians rounded up and exterminated.

1956: Cambodia established gun control. From 1975-1977, 1 million educated people rounded up and exterminated.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot

Stops a person shooting the gun. Makes a person think twice before shooting up others .

I am anti 'general public proliferation of guns' and from New Zealand. As the owner of a rural property, I have had need of a gun to put animals out of distress, but your average suburbanite playing cops & robbers has no need of a real gun.

Except in America, where you arm the insane and call it a right (take a look in the news).

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Wouldn't some snazzy kevlar tailoring be better at protecting the average joe?

I mean the bad guy is ready, aiming and will get off all the shots before the good guy gets his gun up. The proliferation of weapons favors the evil and murderous.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I think it takes a large amount of mental effort to ignore the thousands of people that have saved themselves and the lives of others through defensive handgun use. Instead, just thinking that gun ownership is some sort of wholly negative impact with no benefit, while painting anyone that wants the ability to defend themselves as a cowboy.
edit on 11-11-2018 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I mean the bad guy is ready, aiming and will get off all the shots before the good guy gets his gun up. The proliferation of weapons favors the evil and murderous.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

1. November 2017– A man started firing in a parking lot of a crowded auto repair shop in Rockledge, FL killing one and paralyzing another. Two of the employees had concealed carry permits and fought back, shooting and injuring the attacker and preventing any more damage. 2. November 2017– An off-duty Kansas City police captain shot an armed man in a local Costco when he announced “I’m an off-duty U.S. Marshal, I’m here to kill people”. The off-duty cop told him to drop the gun and not to move. When the gunman aimed his pistol at the officer, he shot him. No other injuries were reported. 3. September 2017– A masked man entered a Nashville church and shot 7 people, killing one. A church usher was able to run to his car, grab a handgun and confront the shooter, saving untold lives. 4. May 2017– A man entered a bar in Arlington, TX yelling incoherently and began shooting, killing one. A customer with a concealed carry handgun engaged the shooter and prevented further injuries or deaths. There were more than a dozen customers in the bar, plus employees. 5. June 2016– A man began shooting outside a bar in Lyman, South Carolina. He shot 3 people before a fourth with a concealed weapons permit fired back, preventing more bloodshed. 6. July 2015– A Cincinnati man fired at 4 people, including a 1-year-old boy. One of the victims had a concealed weapons permit and shot back, hitting the attacker in the leg. No one died. 7. May 2015– In New Holland, SC a man pulled into a crowded fire department parking lot filled with children and firefighters and began firing into the air and pointing the gun at people. Two firefighters with concealed carry permits confronted the shooter and got him to put down his weapon. While no one was injured, this likely prevented a mass shooting. 8. April 2015– An Uber Driver with a concealed carry permit shot and injured a man firing a pistol into a group of people on a Logan Square sidewalk in Chicago. 9. March 2015– Police say a man likely saved the lives of several people when he shot and killed a gunman inside a West Philadelphia barbershop. During an argument, the man pulled out a gun and began shooting customers and barbers, there were even kids inside. Another man who had a legal weapons permit heard the shots from outside, rushed in and killed the shooter, likely saving lives. 10. July 2014– A psychiatric patient opened fire at a Pennsylvania hospital, killing one case worker. A doctor with a concealed weapons permit fired back and hit the shooter three times, allowing hospital personnel to tackle and subdue him. The police chief said “without a doubt, I believe the doctor saved lives. Without that firearm, [the shooter] could have went out in the hallway and just walked down the offices until he ran out of ammunition,” 11. July 2014– A military service member with a concealed carry permit shot and injured a man who fired at and threatened a group of four people outside a party in Chicago. 12. January 2014– After being turned away from a Portland strip club, a man returned with a gun and shot and critically injured the bouncer and proceeded to enter the club. Another bouncer with a concealed carry permit shot the attacker. There were 30 people inside. 13. December 2012– A man with a stolen AR-15 rifle entered the Clackamas Mall in Oregon and began shooting, killing 2 and critically injuring a third. Another man with a concealed carry permit confronted the shooter but didn’t fire because he feared he might shoot innocent bystanders. However, he claims the shooter saw him and this likely stopped the shooting spree, as he then ran into a stairwell and the next bullet the gunman fired was to kill himself. It’s debatable whether this mass shooting was stopped by this action, but there is evidence to support it. 14. April 2012– A man chased and shot at multiple church members in a church parking lot in Aurora, CO, killing one. An off-duty police officer happened to be there and shot the gunman, stopping the attack. 15. March 2012– A man kicked in and entered a side door in a Spartanburg, SC church with a shotgun and pointed it at the pastor and congregation. Another church member, a concealed weapon holder, acted quickly to subdue the attacker. No one was injured. 16. May 2009– During a birthday two masked gunmen broke into an apartment in College Park, GA filled with 11 people. They separated the men from women, stole their wallets and cell phones, then proceeded to attempt to rape the women, mentioning they would kill them afterwards. One of the victims managed to grab his bag with a gun in it, then shot and chased off the attackers. The resident of the apartment said if not for the intervention, all the party goers would likely have been killed. 17. May 2008– A man entered a crowded bar near Reno, NV and fatally shot two brothers, as well as injuring others. When stopping to reload, another patron with a concealed weapons permit shot and killed him. 18. December 2007– After killing two at one Colorado church, a gunman drove to the New Life Church in Colorado Springs and began shooting members leaving a Sunday service. As the gunman entered the church, a woman stepped out from a doorway, confronted the gunman and then fired 10 shots from 63 feet away, hitting the attacker once in the wrist and twice in a leg. He died in the hallway, barely 40 feet from where he entered. 19. February 2007– A man with a shotgun and backpack full of ammunition opened fire at Trolley Square in Salt Lake City, killing 5 and wounding 4. The shooter was quickly and soundly stopped by the Salt Lake City SWAT, but not before an off-duty police officer with a gun had cornered him and engaged in a gun battle, preventing untold deaths to others. 20. January 2002– A distressed student facing suspension entered the campus of Appalachian School of Law and killed three people, including the dean, and injured three others. He was stopped and wrestled to the ground by three students who were trained police officers. One of which ran to his car to get his service pistol before confronting the attacker. 21. July 1999– After a man rented a semi-automatic rifle at a gun club, he held three employees hostage and threatened to kill them. One had a concealed handgun and shot the gunman. While he only directly threatened three people (not technically a mass shooting), his suicide note detailed his desire to take many other lives, so this likely prevented that. 22. April 1998– A middle school student took his father’s handgun and went to his middle school dance. He shot and killed one teacher and wounded 3 others. The owner of the dance hall grabbed his shotgun after hearing the shots and confronted and disarmed the shooter outside. It’s debatable whether or not this prevented any more deaths, as the student had stopped shooting, but he was still armed and capable to shoot more people. 23. October 1997– The Pearl High School shooting in Mississippi, which killed 2 and injured 7, was stopped by the assistant principal who got a pistol he kept in his truck to subdue the shooter. 24. December 1991– Two armed men herded 20 customers and employees of a Shoney’s restaurant in Anniston, Ala., into the walk-in refrigerator and locked it. Continuing to hold the manager at gunpoint, the men began robbing the restaurant. They were stopped by another customer, legally armed with a .45 semi-automatic pistol, who was hiding under a table. He fired five shots into that robber’s chest and abdomen, killing him instantly. It’s debatable if this would have been a mass shooting, but it was a hostage situation endangering at least 20 lives.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Like every other first world country.
edit on 11-11-2018 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Don't you always ask that question, and then a deluge of people provide examples like the Nazi round ups, China during g the revolution under Mao, pol pot Cambodia, pretty sure it's how Burma got to the point they are now...
Happened in South American states preceding many of their Independences from Spain, etc.. etc..

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I thoroughly enjoy how victim's relatives jump on the news and react emotionally to a problem that isn't necessarily guns, but the yerkhoffs who use them. Thing is gun control only works on the law following owners, and not the yasshats who are determined to murder.

I don't think some have quite thought the matter through. Although I will say that given that there are so many red flags that pop up with people that generally do this type of mass shooting, and they're not taken seriously by authorities? Or at the very least followed up on?

Don't get me wrong, I think everybody should be packing heat by law. An armed society is a polite one. I just think we could do better at weeding out the wack jobs in a more efficient manner.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

edit on 11-11-2018 by kookkook because: whoopsie

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Do you realize that a gun is cheaper than kevlar? The type of kevlar that'd be worth wearing that is. While most kevlar vests are inexpensive, they are not rated to stop certain rounds from penetration still resulting in your death. Not to mention the cost for protection from rifle rounds. You'd be better off buying a gun and learning to shoot back. You'd certainly save some money.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: kookkook

The Kevlar won't stop rifle cartridges, but steel or ceramic plate inserts can. They are usually under 200$.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I almost bought a vest without the inserts that could stop up to a 5.56. $1200 dollars. When you get your standard class III or IIIa ($600-800) plus the plates for rifle protection, equals around a grand. I guess it depends on what kind of protection you want. If you just wanna rock some plates that'll do minimal.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Id still rather shoot back though.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Yes, let's all wear kevlar. That's the solution. JFC

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

You beat me to it, thanks.

I was going to suggest the person requesting the information invest in a real education that includes “accurate” history.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Great! Ya know I had an idea for a ladies 3 piece with gold thread piping....and a mans banana hugger for those special occasions....we'll be rich! AH HA HA HA HA HA

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

That's an easy one." He might shoot back " These clowns are less likely to open fire on someone who might shoot back. Don't take this the wrong way, but a person who pulls a gun to solve their problems is a coward. If they know you have one too they are less likely to open fire. (Note I said less likely). For the record I own guns and have handled them from about age 12

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: kookkook

Do you realize that a gun is cheaper than kevlar? The type of kevlar that'd be worth wearing that is. While most kevlar vests are inexpensive, they are not rated to stop certain rounds from penetration still resulting in your death. Not to mention the cost for protection from rifle rounds. You'd be better off buying a gun and learning to shoot back. You'd certainly save some money.

I see, perhaps of one clothed oneself entirely in guns, they would stop bullets.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

I wasn't saying that a gun can never defend against a criminal.

Ask yourself, who arms the crims? Those who are criminal and will use the guns against others can buy guns just like those few do-gooders. In fact, crims also obtain guns by nefarious methods, too.

Almost anyone can obtain a gun. moreso those who lie and steal.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join