It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep Pan Fried Diamondback Rattlesnake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

“We’re going to show you how we do it down South,” says Hansler, a former biology teacher who had a severe reaction to a diamondback rattlesnake bite in September. “This is a western diamondback rattlesnake (that) one of the neighbors dropped off here last night. They ran this over and brought it to me, so fresh snake.” He skins the snake off camera, then soaks it in two eggs before breading and frying it “catfish style” over an open fire.

Snake bite victim shows how to deep pan fry diamondback rattlesnake

Looks pretty good. I would of tried some until I saw the dog wouldn't even eat it. Anyone out there ever eaten snake? How did you cook it?

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Its pretty gamey.

That said a good brine goes a long way to help mitigate that.

I'd say it's like a cross between seafood and chicken texturally.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I killed one back in the day when a dumbass acquaintance I had shot it with a bb gun. I didn't want it to suffer so I killed it quick and vowed I'd eat it.

The crazy part was after it had no head, and skinned and gutted, it was still requiring all my strength to keep it from moving. Very strange.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I despise these hideous leggless demons from hell. I know I’ll get flamed by some of these new great protectors of the tube devils, but I blast every venomous/poisonous one I find.
It is torture to let the snake eating/non-venomous ones slither off, but I do let the rat snakes and king snakes go (most of the time).
I had a small rattlesnake on the front porch all coiled up a year or two ago, and another rattler came on the porch with me while I was on the phone! I couldn’t believe it didnt care one bit I was on the porch loud talking and it just came up 5 feet from me. After it was beheaded I was showing my buddy’s daughter the snake and the damn body struck the shovel without a head. 10 minutes after losing its head it was still trying to murder me!! Lol
I also survived a night of copperheads, they formed a small offensive unit and tried to kill me too!
I would have to be starving to eat one.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I killed one back in the day when a dumbass acquaintance I had shot it with a bb gun. I didn't want it to suffer so I killed it quick and vowed I'd eat it.

The crazy part was after it had no head, and skinned and gutted, it was still requiring all my strength to keep it from moving. Very strange.

That is crazy. I have heard of people being bit by the chopped of head.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

Wow, seems like they don't like you either

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I'll stick to eating chicken. If I want wild meat I will eat partridge.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
no eat snek

2nd

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Did the meat have a bit of bite to it?

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
no eat snek

2nd

Health officials say that people should refrain from eating snakes...well snacks, same thing just a different way of pronouncing it.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
tastes better if you slowcook it in a crockpot

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
A buddy of mine and me ran over one once and took it to his house to eat it.His wife wasn't happy,lol.Anyway a fifth of Jack Daniels later we skinned it,looked at that grayish nasty looking meat and simultaneously said nope,aint eating that nasty thing.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Had a few as pets but nevwr eaten one. I'd try most things thoigh. I'm a real foody....

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
Looks pretty good. I would of tried some until I saw the dog wouldn't even eat it. Anyone out there ever eaten snake? How did you cook it?

I've partaken on several occasions. Usually pan fried, though I really want to do one over a charcoal grill.

I find it pleasant. The meat is firm and chewy but not tough. Not terribly gamey to me.

About two weeks back I was with a friend and he drove past a big ol' diamondback on the highway. He stopped and went back to run over it. I asked him to be gentle with it, try to just hit the head so that I could take the carcass home, but he mangled it pretty badly so I left it on the highway. I was disappointed.

Mhy rule of thumb is generally if somebody else ate it and it didn't kill 'em, I'll probably try it. I'd hate to go to my grave thinking, I could have eaten that.

:
edit on 2018 11 11 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Cant stop feeling a bit sad because of the snake, they are great at destroying ticks, you know because they eat rodents,

But each to their own,

Every time i see a clubbed/wounded snake rolling in a trail, i quickly crush its head (properly) and skin it, use them as bookmarks for example.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
We use to have a big rattlesnake hunt in Oklahoma every year. Alot of people and alot of snakes lol.

I have eaten it a few times and is tastes about like what you would think rattlesnake taste like.

SH##.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I won't eat any reptile or amphibian.

As a last resort perhaps I will but it needs to be very well done and maybe cooked into a pasta or rice veggie mix meal.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I would never have used corn meal to coat it. Why? Because corn meal needs protein oils to bind to, and rattlesnake has hardly any oils whatsoever. It has been my experience that the skinned snake should be oiled and roasted over medium coals and then eaten like corn on the cob. A little hot sauce is a plus, but not necessary.

It's good to see other ways to cook snake. Snake is good food. I also like to marinade snake in citrus for at least an hour to knock off the surface rankness. Some people like that flavor and that's okay. It's not my favorite.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
From a Good Old Georgia Boy where south Georgia snake hunts are a "thing"
Good , but too chewy.
If you like chewing on car tires , go for it...

DO NOT attempt to prepare and cook one yourself , though
Not gonna turn out too well , most likely.
Gonna be a trip to the hospital via ambulance

edit on 11/11/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I was in Arkansas and was eating some rattlesnake at a friends house that literally they had made taste like Chicken, no joke. I was shocked at how good it was cooked properly and ate a second snake biscuit. Still thought it was creepy and I haven't done it again, nor had the 'chance'. Now reading your comments I am lucky mine was edible. Maybe a bit tougher than chicken but not as tough as some beef we eat.
edit on 12-11-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join