It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: Ronald Reagan LSD probe bigger than you think, 14 nuke sailors snagged

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Officials: Ronald Reagan '___' probe bigger than you think, 14 nuke sailors snagged

I did a search and this didn't turn up on ATS. So here we go.

Looks like a few of the guys there on the ship were caught with and used the substance. Hopefully no one was using while working on the reactors on the ship. However it does last for a while.

2 other sailors were charged with distributing.

Fourteen sailors from the nuclear reactor department of the aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan face disciplinary action in connection to '___' abuse, Navy officials confirmed this week.

Two sailors are already heading to court-martial for using, possessing and distributing the hallucinogenic drug, while three are waiting to see whether they will be charged as well, according to 7th Fleet spokesman Lt. Joe Keiley.

Another 10 sailors with the Japan-based ship were administratively disciplined on '___'-related charges, Keiley said.

edit on 10-11-2018 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Oh nooooos ... sailors grasp mystery of existence and refuse to end the world in nuclear fire due to chemical that offers perspective.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

The Reagan is a nuclear powered aircraft carrier. I'm not sure, but I don't think it carries nuclear weapons as a matter of course.

Not sure why this is particularly interesting news. It's not as if some sailors haven't been involved with illicit activities before.
edit on 11/10/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I can’t imagine much worse of a location to trip on a powerful psychedelic that lasts a long time and usually makes you unable to act or function normally. Soldiers, not much privacy, duties, etc.
All the makings of a highly paranoid, bad trip
a reply to: grey580

edit on 10-11-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I realized that "no nukes necessarily present" after posting... amended headline might then be "Oh nooos ... sailors realize mystery of existence and refuse to slaughter with high tech weaponry or follow orders after ingesting chemical" ... er, maybe more accurate, but not as catchy..

I would guess the 'news worthy' part is the "terrifying" prospect of soldiers on strange drugs running amuck? In reality, there is a reason the 'powers that be' persecute that substance so vehemently, illustrated by that old film of a dosed platoon falling down laughing and gazing at flowers instead of following orders.

But drug crazed military guys scare the public... while those that know are comforted (as long as the dose isn't cut with methamphetamine, that is).

But yeah, enlisted guys are not not known for drugging themselves into stupors.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Thing is (not speaking from personal experience), while in port those who are on the ship don't necessarily have a watch every day and that being the case, things might get somewhat tedious.

Under way is another matter.

But illicit is illicit and those swabs are in trouble deep. Why it's of interest, I don't know.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Yes, the tedium needs to be broken, and things like that 3 letter chem do not show up in pee-pee ... so I've heard, a -hem.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Oh nooooos ... sailors grasp mystery of existence and refuse to end the world in nuclear fire due to chemical that offers perspective.

Yeah wrong kind of “nuke” they were in the reactor department notthing to do with nuclear warheads.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I heard a Vietnam vet talking about soldiers getting stoned over there. He said a guy was high and cleaning his loaded rifle which then blew his hand off. I guess it's the potential for carelessness that matters most when these vessels are so expensive.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yeah. You don't have to be high to be careless though. It's not clear if these guys were high on duty.

That anecdote sort of reeks of urban myth. Sure, it could happen. But did it?

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Agree that it's probably not very newsworthy but it is news from probably lower level reporters assigned to cover military related maters. Breaking news? No, not really.

Edit: Such a shortage of worthy news, everything however trivial makes it out to the public now.
edit on 10-11-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I don't know, it was part of a series of interviews and not so implausible. He looked genuine enough.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I didn't say it isn't plausible.

But I reckon sober grunts have had gun cleaning accidents too.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I didn't say it isn't plausible.

Undoubtedly so especially thanks to the Macnamara’s “Morons” program.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Without a doubt.

Saying that, getting high should bear consideration for time and place.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Not sure why this is particularly interesting news. It's not as if some sailors haven't been involved with illicit activities before.

Umm, yeah (cough) I was a nuke in the Navy in 1971. They could have reported this exact same story back then.

Oh, and BTW the Reagan has 5,000 sailors aboard. The Reactor Department has several hundred assigned to them. Percentage wise, this is rather low.
edit on 11/10/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Substance use and abuse is very prevalent in the Navy in the UK, I'm guessing it's the same everywhere.

I've heard rumours about smuggling in the past too. Can't imagine that stuff would be fun confined to a ship though, maybe the natural equivalent but that stuff?

Hell no, probably think your turning into Godzilla or something.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
I can’t imagine much worse of a location to trip on a powerful psychedelic that lasts a long time and usually makes you unable to act or function normally. Soldiers, not much privacy, duties, etc.
All the makings of a highly paranoid, bad trip

Exactly, I've done my fair share of psychedelics and can 100% attest that being on a war ship with thousands of other people would lead to a nightmare of a trip. Horrible surroundings for that sort of drug

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

I realized that "no nukes necessarily present" after posting... amended headline might then be "Oh nooos ... sailors realize mystery of existence and refuse to slaughter with high tech weaponry or follow orders after ingesting chemical" ... er, maybe more accurate, but not as catchy..

I would guess the 'news worthy' part is the "terrifying" prospect of soldiers on strange drugs running amuck? In reality, there is a reason the 'powers that be' persecute that substance so vehemently, illustrated by that old film of a dosed platoon falling down laughing and gazing at flowers instead of following orders.

But drug crazed military guys scare the public... while those that know are comforted (as long as the dose isn't cut with methamphetamine, that is).

But yeah, enlisted guys are not not known for drugging themselves into stupors.

Captain: [To Sailor] Look through these binoculars. What do you see?

Sailor: A vast never-ending universe of infinite darkness stretching into infinity, going well beyond the limits of human comprehension.

Captain: Take the lens caps off the binoculars. Now tell me, what do you see?

Sailor: Oh, wow, cosmic man! I'm seeing every colour of the rainbow.

Captain: Put those binoculars into focus. Now try again. What do you see?

Sailor: The enemy is having a beach party sir, with sparklers, fireworks and balloons.

Captain: Wipe the mist off those goggles. What do you see?

Sailor: The enemy is firing at us - and with live ammunition.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

An aircraft carrier will never be within visual range of "the enemy."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join