It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tribute to Keith Emerson ( anniversary of his birthday 02 November 1944 )

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Near the anniversary of his birthday a tribute to a great musician

Keith Emerson

Emerson a man who dared to experiment and take risks breaking ground and moving music in new directions.
Early critics derided his adoption of the synth calling it a 2 second fad.

Why Keith Emerson was important

Emerson Lake & Palmer helped define a branch of Prog as a natural successor to the flower power era of the late 60’s.

Yes, its official music is today is dumbed down

The dumbing down of lyrical intelligence:

“The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful”

The Millennial Woop “The secret song writers to the stars Max Martin and Lukasz Gottwald"

Our attention span is lowering thanks to our access to millions of songs at out fingertips The hook is occurring in songs “earlier and more often”

Early Emerson

The Nice (Keith Emerson) Live at NRK TV Norway 1969

The Isle of Wight festival their first performance cannon and all

Rick Wakeman "Trilogy" rendition - tribute to Keith

Skip to 3:38

Trilogy - the original – his mastery of the palette that the moog had to offer:

Brain Salad Surgery 1973 album.
Rock opera/concept album, whatever, enjoy

www.youtube.com...

I remember bringing this home and cranking up my Bang & Olufsen ( I remember working in a café 1 night a week during high school to buy my 2nd stereo. ( mid-70’s ) There was nothing wrong with my 1st I just had to have the B & O – Beomaster 2400-2 ( 30 watts hehe ) paid about $1000 for the system ( about $5000 in todays dollars )

My parents thought I was insane – well they could understand Beatles pop – but sequencers in rock?

SEQUENCERS ???? hell yeah

Square wave and sweeping filters

Karn Evil 9 (part 1)

“Mars, the Bringer of War”

Gustav Holst (adaptation: Emerson, Lake, Cozy Powell)

His influence and collaboration with Robert Moog cant be overstated

By adopting and popularizing the moog he paved the way, to bringing some say, the keyboard to a “solo lead status”

In 2014 Moog Music ( 50th Anniversary ) recreated the Moog Modular as a tribute to Keith

This is one of my favourites: Tarkus highlighting his mastery of the Hammond
Its 20:39 but its a sonic 7 course meal, ear candy.

Jerusalem

His suicide as explained by his girlfriend was perhaps best explained by his constant perfectionism. They were about to embark on his final tour in Japan before retiring from public performing. He had been constantly in pain due to some arm surgery. He was worried he would let his audience down even though they had a stand-in.

Some cruel comments sent him over the edge

Trolled by his own fans

www.dailymail.co.uk...

“It appears that for all his rock dinosaur image, he was the victim of a very modern fate — ‘trolled to death’ by heartless fans who had attacked him online over the quality of his recent music, even suggesting he gave up.”

As a final note please I implore whoever is reading this, if you're suffering and in pain, remember with depression there is help out there - you are not alone

You are one of gods souls who is unique and special.

Peace

RIP Emo ( nickname ) b:Nov 2 1944 – d: Mar 11, 2016

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

E.L.P were never really on my radar but their version of Fanfare For The Common Man was a once heard never forgotten for me , Prog rock at its finest.

RiP Keith Emerson , innovator.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Thanks for the response. When the internet came along I was fascinated by the fact that there was a great piece by a composer behind the song

This fanfare was written on request from Eugene Goossens, conductor of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, in response to the US entry into the Second World War.

During the First World War, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra had asked British composers for a fanfare to begin each orchestral concert. It had been so successful that he thought to repeat the procedure in World War II with American composers.

Goossens suggested titles like Fanfare for Soldiers, but Copland gave it the much better title Fanfare for the Common Man. The piece was premiered 12 March 1943 at income tax time, as a homage to the common man.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I loved ELP and had the good fortune to see them live when they were at the height of their fame. Keith was a remarkable musician and an absolute madman on stage--I think his musical accomplishments were often overshadowed by his showmanship, keeping him from getting the recognition he deserved as a straight-out musician. There are artists out there who can play his compositions, but nobody that I have seen/heard comes close to matching Emerson's energy.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Got to see him live...small club, front stage. One of the greatest along with Rick Wakeman (whom I also saw live).

One of Keith's probably defining songs was Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man" along with "Hoedown"...and his version of "America"...found on YouTube on David Letterman, believe it or not!

Song wise..and so, so, so many great performances.There can be no "best of"...nor will there ever be another Keith Emerson.

R.I.P. Keith...we miss you....

edit on 10-11-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Saw him live but for the life of me I can't remember where. In the late 60s and early 70s seem to blur into one. You hadn't seen anything till you saw him do "rondo" live. Tune was the finale, or final as he completely wrecked the keyboards.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: elkabong57

Lucky you seeing them live!!!

Here' 2 fun links for you:

I've been inspired to commence playing some of Emo's pieces by the following enthusiasts.

ELP Tarkus Cover; Antoine Baril, Christian Pacaud, Francis Gregoire:

Rachel is something else, a special talented soul. Became blind soon after birth and yet learn't playing by sound at the age... such passion

wiki

At 4 1/2 years old Rachel began her formal music training through the Southern California Conservatory of Music, where she studied piano, music theory, ear training, music history, Braille music code, and adaptive computer music applications

Looks like she owns her own Modular Moog LOL
Rachel Flowers - Tarkus with Emerson's Modular Moog

In my estimation @ 8:19 she adds extra notes emulating Carl Palmer's percussion

I think his musical accomplishments were often overshadowed by his showmanship

You could be right - I'm revisiting his Emerson plays Emerson Album. Great depth and beauty

Here's a treat I just discovered this morning, Pirates!!!!

vimeo.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

????

Rondo Live In Switzerland 1970?

Obviously not the following clip as he only used 2 daggers in this. ( sarcasm ) hahaha

Its a testament to how sturdy the Hammond B3 was.

What I am totally buzzed over is how he played it back to front.

edit on 11-11-2018 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I've posted some ELP in another thread. I knew about his suicide but had no idea that he was trolled over the edge by some of his own fans. Shocking and sad!

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Knife Edge (Live in Switzerland, 1970)

top topics

join