It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Data From a Dead Satellite Reveals Lost Continents Under Antarctica

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

OK, very good information, thanks Jaded.

Actually, I had thought that this particular study was unrelated to mineral exploitation, but the article I linked to in my previous post talks about how Antarctica has been mostly studied for scientific reasons, so the economic data is little known. Given that this study is primarily scientific supports the contention that commercial studies are almost never done. I just wonder who pays for the scientific studies and if they would have commercial value.

It is so harsh an environment that it is only common sense that there is no one seriously considering mining or drilling operations for commercial purposes, that we know of yet. Unlikely as it may seem now, the international agreement on how Antarctica is to be treated doesn't prohibit commercial exploitation.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I have no idea what I was reading or where I saw it (this was a long time ago) but I recall a map of the landmass under the ice of Antarctica. The map had a very detailed coastline which indicates that it was witnessed firsthand by the cartographer. Maps of unexplored areas were often shown with very unambiguous borders showing no real detail of any kind, just a vague outline of a land mass. Maps with great detail were assumed to be accurate.

I will look for it but no guarantees. As I said, it was a long time ago. It would be great if the new data and that map resembled each other.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

The Piri Reis´s Map?

edit on 10-11-2018 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Well, this particular study used an existing dataset:

Since the end of the mission, a number of studies have exploited the GOCE datasets for different purposes.

As far as the original mission:

Full name: Gravity field and steady-state Ocean Circulation Explorer

Launched: 17 March 2009 from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome, Russia

Duration: After 4 years and 8 months orbiting Earth, the mission came to an end on 11 November 2013, far exceeding its 20-month design life

Industrial Core Team
Thales Alenia Space (Italy) – satellite prime contractor
EADS Astrium GmbH (Germany) – platform contractor
Thales Alenia Space (France) – gradiometer
ONERA (France) accelerometer & system support

The Core Team led a consortium of 41 companies distributed over 13 European countries.

Facts and Figures

The mission, like many ESA programs, was a multinational cooperative effort.

Your point about the possible commercial exploitation of Antarctica is not lost on me, to be sure. Personally, I think that the main obstacle is the remoteness and harshness of the climate in which any such endeavor would have to operate under. Just being able to survive down there requires a great deal of logistical support and know how. Granted, modern technology helps, but that only takes one so far.

Lol, I just saw this bit:

The Rockot launcher that carried GOCE into orbit is a converted SS-19 intercontinental ballistic missile, which was designed as a weapon of war during the early 1970s.

The launch vehicle was a repurposed nuke!
edit on 10-11-2018 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
The Great Old Ones sleep beneath the ice.

This.
Explain for us other dorks what you are talking about.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I still get annoyed when the global warmists use Antartica as proof of their alarmist pseudo science. Ice sheets are melting at the South Pole but its due to geothermal activity, I E volcanic activity. Not rising temperatures which is the exact opposite of what the area has been experiencing. Its had record low temperatures. I remember a Coast To Coast Am show where the lady guest host suggested that the melting ice was causing increased volcanic activity. Ahhhh duhhhh? That's like saying bacon frying in the pan is making the stove get hot.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

My best guess would be rock and tons of ice if you look and the states of Wisconsin and Minnesota the reason they have so many lakes and ponds is because of the fact the area was at one time covered in glaciers during previous ice ages and as the glaciers moved and melted it cut rivers and huge boulders trapped underneath scoured out ponds and lakes some of these stones have been found giant balls of rock some as big as 20 feet across have been found at bottom of some lakes.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Dutchowl

That's like saying bacon frying in the pan is making the stove get hot.

Great analogy!

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Many world leaders have visited Antarctica recently for Some good reason... Even Kirill the Pope of the Eastern Orthodox Russian Church went all the way down there.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

Many fossils have been found there and we have just scratched the surface, Antarctica is huge.

The BAS fossil collection contains approximately 40,000 fossil specimens from Antarctica, including ammonites (pictured) dating back to the Cretaceous period. Both ammonites and dinosaurs disappeared during the same extinction event.

The 280 million-year-old forest in the South Pole

As well as fruitcake and scotch whisky

106 year old fruitcake found in Antarctica 'looked and smelled edible'

100 year old crate of Scotch whisky found trapped in Antarctic

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
Many world leaders have visited Antarctica recently for Some good reason... Even Kirill the Pope of the Eastern Orthodox Russian Church went all the way down there.

There are rumors an ancient city has been found.

Ruins Of Ancient City Found In Antarctica

NASA Images Reveal Traces of Ancient Human Settlement Underneath 2.3 km of Ice

edit on 11-11-2018 by LookingAtMars because: add

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   

This fruitcake still looks edible.

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join