It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Shogun' - 1980's Classic TV Series.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Based on the classic book by James Clavell, the TV series 'Shogun' is now up on YouTube (all 9 hours of it) - it won quite a number of awards when it was first screened in the 1980's and was said to have viewing figures of over 70 million.

It's a winner and if anyone's bored out there (or in bed with the flu) then it comes highly recommended - like with most things though, the book is better.

Reviews:

m.imdb.com...

www.rottentomatoes.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Toshiro Mifune, Japanese legend

Started watching Shogun ages ago but still haven't gotten around to finish it yet, it's good but still not a patch on Kurosawa stuff

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Wow. I've searched for a while now for the full series. I've only been able to find the shortened version. I guess I'll have to find time to watch this.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
FYI, the character Toronaga was based on Tokugawa Ieyasu
the Japan network NHK makes a historical drama every year, they're about 50 episodes
they call them 'Taiga' if you google "NHK Taiga wiki" you'll get the list
try the forums at d-addicts.com for info on them.
(nyaa.si... for torrents)
edit on 7-11-2018 by manuelram16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
this is the story of ultimate cultural appropriation!!!!

But like everything PC evil, it's sooo good

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
As a young teen, I had a crush on the younger 'evil' Japanese guy. Omi I think his name was. Don't even ask.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

Toshiro Mifune, Japanese legend

Started watching Shogun ages ago but still haven't gotten around to finish it yet, it's good but still not a patch on Kurosawa stuff

Gotta agree on Mifune, the guys a legend.
Shogun was a great show in it's day but it's not a patch on Kurosawa's movies which seem timeless in comparision.

edit on 7-11-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Timeless indeed, and not just Kurosawa, although he was probably the most consistently good film maker, Masaki Kobayashi ranks highly for me, specifically for the Human Condition Trilogy, and 2 of my all time favourite movies, Harakiri and Kwaidan.

Additionally, Hiroshi Inagaki, whom not much is known about (that I can find anyway), his Samurai Trilogy is definitely worth checking out.

Japanese cinema for me, some of the finest movies ever made, sorry if I'm derailing your thread karl

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Anyone interested in the Japanese Bushido, should view the original great Movie series from the 1970s, called "Lone Wolf and Cub" (in English), of course in its original Japanese form.
Very Japanese, set in Samurai times, about the Shoguns disgraced executioner Itto Ogami and his son, and their adventures. Not for the squeamish or faint hearted.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

Japanese cinema for me, some of the finest movies ever made, sorry if I'm derailing your thread karl

Ha not at all matey and there´s some great info being posted so thanks for the replies - really didn´t appreciate just how prolific Toshiro Mifune actually was!

a reply to: gort51

Very good call Gort, I´ve only seen Shogun Assassin but it´s bloody marvellous.

new topics

top topics

join