It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eulogy From Beyond - YOE2018

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
"Eulogy From Beyond" - YOE2018 --Non-Writer

Isabelle talked with the real estate agent who sold her the home once again on Tuesday as he was in the neighborhood and she never properly thanked him for his help. "Thank you, can hardly imagine why such a magical home would have just been sitting vacant. Not that I'm complaining it's just surprising!" She exclaimed to him.

Out of the corner of her eye a small white butterfly fluttered by the flowers growing near the front pathways to the house.

The real estate agent nodded in agreement and said, "You're most welcome. You lucked out on this one." He paused. "It was heavily inquired about despite it being on the market for some time but many deals just didn't go through." She spoke up to say "It's been nearly a year now and I'm still just as enthralled as the first day I had seen it." They had both smiled and parted ways.

The medium Tudor style home sat tucked away at the end of a cul-de-sac street. What you first see when approaching is a sweeping garden it initially drew her to the home due to it needing needing some fixed upper work, the exact project she had longed for.

Days after, Isabella who was in her late 70s with medium length hair, was in high spirits and was wearing her favorite art apron. She had ventured into the front bedroom that she wanted to use as an art studio because she loved the front front and side window view of the garden she had grown so fond of. She had carried in some art supplies to set up the room.

The room had a large closest. She opened the door and attempted to pull the cord to turn the light on but had heard and seen a large static flash that blew out the bulb. Isabelle had a flashlight on hand and shined it around to finally get the best view of the roomy closest. She noticed a floorboard section slightly lifted but barely noticeable. She lifted the floor board to the side to reveal a Lane box and opened the top of the box almost instinctively knowing it wasn't locked.

In the box, was folded pieces of hand written parchment with dried roses on top tied with string.

One of the letters was titled "My Eulogy" . She began to read it out-loud "Many may remember me by..." as she read along she was surprised and had felt content this could be her twin she thought. Then abruptly the very last sentence had ended mid sentence one third the way down the page, almost if someone just quit writing. She refolded it and placed it in her apron pocket.

Later that day, she opened the front door, stopping in her tracks pushing aside any initial thought she had, there was stacked newspapers from during the passing week. Some thrown around the porch while colorful fall leaves sprinkled the porch. She lifted the paper on top of the stack closest to her. She unfolded the newspaper to a flat position after curiously noticing the date on it.

Isabelle gasped and nearly fainted as she shut the front door. "I can't believe this... in a very loud voice." On the front bottom left of the paper mentioned her name and that she was an established artist passed away peacefully last Tuesday and her funeral will be the following week. The newspaper was dated the Friday that week.

Again very loudly she spoke, "This has to be a mistake!" she proclaimed.

She reached for the phone. Then instead of attempting to make a call to the newspaper and or a friend, she quickly skimmed the paper more and then dropped the paper in shock after reading the brief paragraph. She then proceeded to retrieve the eulogy paper which was placed in the drawer by the side of her bed earlier. Glancing at the eulogy again, sentences started appearing before her eyes, writing itself without a pen or visible author the eulogy completed itself.

The completed letter mentioned she loved her garden and had recently completed a series of paintings of it and many other compositions from the past had been exhibited in the local art fair following a move to her new home. That experience mentioned in the eulogy as well as the new home that had made her feel more confident and breathed more life after the passing of her dear husband two and a half years ago. She had completed a move and a dream that her and him had wanted for a long time. Most of all, Isabelle had wanted to mention that his memory giving her a will to survive and the love and inspiration had helped to make her who she was. That appeared at the end of the eulogy.

Confused, but deep down knew she had returned to the material realm to make sure her eulogy was shared, Isabelle hurried out of her bedroom with the eulogy. She took the eulogy, picked up the paper weight and placed it on the table near the front door in hopes it will be found in time the her funeral. Isabelle had passed away naturally, Tuesday evening, quietly and in peace.

Today was apparently Friday, or as the paper stated if it was delivered that day. That day, at the very least- not recalling days before, she had felt as if she had been... alive or what felt like it.

All of that had a feeling of her head pounding and thoughts racing. Her hands faded out slowly, nearly too late to feel what was going on, seen a glimpse of the same happen to her legs.

As she faded out the scenery changed from the house to a brighter surrounded with the voices of her family sand friends comforting her, ones she lost years ago to not so long before, and lovingly said "I'm finally home".

The End.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

For me, this story was spot on. I've read it twice and gave me goosebumps even for the second time. The pictures you added made the story even better, nice touch...

Well done

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: szino9

Thank you! Can't wait for other takes on the theme.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I really liked that. Good take on a ghost story too. there's something about the idea of the undone that works so well and pulls you along when reading about it.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Cool, thank you! I'm still new to story/short story writing process. Hope to find a good niche with it. While I enjoy the paranormal type themes, hope I can do well with other genres.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Well you are on the right track, mate

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Nicely done - a good read.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel
Much thanks!

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Very good writing and ideas.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Much appreciation, I'm learning while I try to write.

new topics

top topics

join