It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we lower the voting age to 16

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Here's my 2-ish cents:

16 year olds don't know how the government works (literally, Government is a High School class that isn't taken until Senior Year in most states). They don't know how the Electoral College operates. They don't know what laws are already on the books. They don't know anything.

The only information they have is courtesy of paid Actors and their Commercials.

Honestly, the voting age should probably be 21.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Anything to get more ignorant people into the voting pool, eh?

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
No...16 yr olds are not familiar with politics and their brainwashing techniques. Now is a dangerous time to be asking that considering how fake news and media are biased for the DNC. America would be ruined faster than you know it if kids were allowed to vote at that age.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Only for Democratic Primaries.

Good Lord have you seen what drivel most teenagers post?

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
If you can serve your country at 18 you should also be aloud to buy a beer.

a reply to: DBCowboy

That should read “when” you serve your country at 18. Just because you’re 18 means nothing. Join the 7% willing to raise their right hand, put on a uniform and be something bigger than themselves in one on the uniformed military services of the US...THEN you can buy a beer!

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

originally posted by: Athetos
If you can serve your country at 18 you should also be aloud to buy a beer.

a reply to: DBCowboy

That should read “when” you serve your country at 18. Just because you’re 18 means nothing. Join the 7% willing to raise their right hand, put on a uniform and be something bigger than themselves in one on the uniformed military services of the US...THEN you can buy a beer!

Or join the 1%, get those fancy marine corps dress blues, and you'll never have to buy your own beer again. I was 19 at my first marine corps ball in vegas....helluva good time

A2D

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Hmm … okay, well, sure, lower the voting age to 16, but please then also lower the age of consent, drinking age for alcohol, age to purchase nicotine, etc..

If you are an adult, and can vote, you should be adult enough to handle all that other stuff too.

I would have loved that back when I was 16
!!! Go Go Go!!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Not just NO
But HADES No
Hades to the no

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I see a lot of you saying we should raise the voting age and Millenials and other younger generations don't know enough to vote responsibly. but...

The older generation is responsible for all the power the DNC and the RNC has. Look who they keep voting for in congress over and over again. Also look who the older voters saddled us with in the last election...Trump and Hillary. How could younger voters do any worse than that? Or look at the previous presidential election. The older voters gave us Romney to beat Obama? How dumb was that? or go back 4 years earlier...and the older generation gave us mcCain with Sarah Palin?

And you guys thing younger voters could mess it up any worse than us? LOL They're our only hope!

Remember too that it's the older voters that keep voting in Mitch McConnel and Nancy Pelosi etc etc.
edit on 5-11-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Maybe they should lower the age to -9 months so Democrats will stop supporting abortion finally.

Just saying since they don't care about the life of the unborn, maybe they would if they saw votes in it.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Maybe they should???

Get all those 16 and 17 and most of the 18 year olds and their primary function is to JUST answer the copious robocalls from the Politicians™ The ones who exempted their own greedy crap from the 'Federal™ DO-NOT-CALL List.

I type (say) this:

Either the Politicians™ give Us Serfs the SAME health insurance they have ...

OR

Have them QUIT calling the house during Erection Season!!
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
America would be ruined faster than you know it if kids were allowed to vote at that age.

Rabid 16 year olds posting their political views on social media? That's gotta be a sign of the Apocalypse.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Require that the voter be able to correctly answer questions from the citizenship exam. Also require that they be able to demonstrate that they pay more taxes than they receive in benefits.

Also remove straight party voting and take the (R) or (D) off the ballot.

A Republic is meant for an informed electorate. If you don't understand how the system is intended to work, you don't need to vote. Same if you're a net taker.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
No, definitely not.

But we should not raise the voting age unless we also raise the age to join the military.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
No.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
No, we should not. At 16 very very few people are mature or knowledgeable enough to make an informed decision on a government official.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal
No, we should not. At 16 very very few people are mature or knowledgeable enough to make an informed decision on a government official.

yet look who the older people keep voting for. The same incompetent corrupt politicians over and over again.

So I would say adults over 24 are not mature enough or knowledgeable enough to make an informed decision on a government official. As proof I give you the last 50 years or so. For more proof...Romney, Obama and Trump and Hillary were our last 4 presidential choices and it's not 16 year olds who keep voting for Nancy pelosi.
edit on 5-11-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Should we lower the voting age to 16?

Hell. No.
edit on 11/5/2018 by Creep Thumper because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I think you should get to vote at 30. Also, you should have to earn your citizenship.

Become a commissioned citizen and vote!

Military service, education or labor gets you a green card. Take a test and have a 2-year proving period.

Then you are a citizen.

Would you like to know more?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join