It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we lower the voting age to 16

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This was the question on our local news station.
Should we lower the voting age to 16?

I think the overwhelming response was no, but I think it was more to start to get the question in people's minds.

All I have to say it watch this video and decide if kids should be able to vote:
www.delish.com...

+27 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
It should be raised to 26.

link   
Oh Gawd no!

Lets be honest, Teenagers are easily swayed by peer pressure and are notoriously uneducated in Life.

People lack Wisdom, and that is a resource not available by nature in large quantities in many people especially teenagers.

+8 more 
link   
No, we should raise it to 25 so college kids are removed from the influence of liberal leaning academic institutions, have a fully developed pre-frontal cortex, and can "maybe" be in a better place to actually think for themselves.

Of course, it's not like 3/4's of the country can think for themselves as it is, so maybe that last one is a wash.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Can I get a # no?

Most 16 year olds are half mongoloids.

Then again so are most adults so why not

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Sure.

As soon as they lower the age to 16 for cigarettes and liquor!

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Why not lower it to 9, and set up the polling booths at Chuckie Cheese's?

These are serious question!

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
If you can serve your country at 18 you should also be aloud to buy a beer.

a reply to: DBCowboy

edit on 5-11-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

www.nbcnews.com...

Alik Schier, 16, said teens are one of the country's most energized voting blocs. "We want to have a say," Alik said. "So many issues that affect eligible voters now affect us."

I hope this never happens. Wisconsin has something like 1.4 billion dollars in referendums that will be voted on tomorrow. I would say at least 60% is for schools (maybe more). Can you imagine, what kid wouldn't vote for that, but then their parents would end up with the higher property taxes etc. Crazy.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It should be 12. That is the youngest age of an American citizen to be tried as an adult in a criminal court. If they are old enough to stand trial as an adult, then they should have all adult privileges; particularly those granted by the Constitution. Right?

Of course, I'm kidding; but, how crazy it that?^^^

18 seems the right age. By that age, everyone should have completed history/civics courses and have a true understanding of the election process.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Dear god no. I would probably have voted for Trump at 16.

I propose we put a limit on the other end of the spectrum. Whatever age DBCowboy is seems to be a good starting point. I think I saw a woodcut of him around here somewhere.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

18 seems the right age. By that age, everyone should have completed history/civics courses and have a true understanding of the election process.

I actually think 18 might be too young. I think 21 sounds a little better.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Dear god no. I would probably have voted for Trump at 16.

I propose we put a limit on the other end of the spectrum. Whatever age DBCowboy is seems to be a good starting point. I think I saw a woodcut of him around here somewhere.

People that have been paying taxes longer than I've been alive should have the right to vote, even if they are senile and poop their pants.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Oh god no. They shouldn't even get to drive .

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I propose we put a limit on the other end of the spectrum. Whatever age DBCowboy is seems to be a good starting point.

That would cause the Democrats to lose out on the dead people votes.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I'm starting to hear about this everywhere. Look out 2020
These are all recent articles:

Washington could lower voting age to 16 for 2020
www.foxnews.com...

Lowering the Voting Age - Top 3 Pros and Cons
www.procon.org...

link   
The 26th lowered the age from 21 to 18 in 1971. The idea goes back to FDR’s Administration in 1941. 30 years to get it done.

While a Democrat idea, 18-21 year olds have only elected three Democrats to the presidency as opposed to five Republicans. Ford also a Republican became President by appointment and was never elected as Pres nor VP.

link   
Yes!!!! And we should let them drink alcohol too!

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

At least half the adults have no understanding of the election process. Look at how many have no idea why the electoral college exists and say we should elect president by popular vote only.
I say raise voting age to 30.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

My viewpoint is it should be tied to the drinking age. You cant make the argument they are to young to drink and than say but they are enough od an adult to vote. So lower the drinking age to 16 and im all for it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join