It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmakers Drafting Bill Would Allow Social Media Checks Before Gun Purchase 3yrs SM &1yr search

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I absolutely agree.

I believe that as consumer technology grew and social media use became part of life, these systems neutrality slowly etched away as these tech companies began to fully utilize a wide array of techniques to extract as much data from its user base and in turn, present a more pallatable pov of their agenda.

They're letting there leftist views dictate the overall spectrum, using their vast position to push it.

Just like how politicians are connected, the same is true for tech giants, you realize like some massive boys club of self absorbed douchbags who think they literally run the world because they are information gatekeepers. This is how and why GAB and Infowars were shut down so quickly and systematically. Looking at it from a different perspective, it was as if several entities suddenly disconnected from the central entity and it whithered and died as its support and ability to function ceased.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Wow.

That someone thinks this is even remotely a good idea should be terrifying to us all.

The background check would search for "key words or phrases"--nothing said about context, is there? Do these oh so wonderful algorithms, I'm guessing that's what they'd use, read context?? Somehow, I doubt it. Hell, do they even take punctuation into consideration?

As an example:

Let's eat, Grandma. Let's eat Grandma. Same words, yet the context is, shall we say, completely different...

ATS is as close as I come to social media. Would the fact that I have very little internet footprint be held against me? But...but...we can't vet you, so no gun for you, just in case.

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace²but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

Patrick Henry--speaking at St. Johns Church, Richmond, Virginia--March 23rd, 1775.

Link.

Would he be allowed to, under this proposal, purchase a hand gun?

edit on 11/5/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Lawmakers Drafting Bill Would Allow Social Media Checks Before Gun Purchase 3yrs SM &1yr search

What do people expect from hoplophobes?

(Gunphobes)

We've got background checks(unconstitutional).
We've got out right bans on 'Assault', and magazines.
We've got Bill Nelsons calling for out right snip.
We've got insurance scams.

And just last week Trump haters were snipping about the 14th.

The topic means BOTH the first and second.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

The first one is a Democrat.....big surprise.

The second one doesn't even seem to be a NY State Senator. There is a Kevin Parker, A Democratic State Senator.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Another liberal wet dream.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Eric Adams Twitter:

Link to Tweet

There's no home for hate in #Brooklyn, full stop. We can't let a toxic national political climate empower local lunatics and sympathizers of white supremacy. We will spread love and advance safety for ALL, at Union Temple and across our borough.

Luckily they have a picture of the Suspect and his Lunatic White Supremicist Name:

James Polite, 26, wrote the hateful messages, which included “Jews better be ready” and “Hitler,” in black marker on the walls inside the Union Temple of Brooklyn in Prospect Heights on Thursday, cops said. Another epithet called for the death of Jews and used a hateful historic comparison to vermin. The NYPD released a surveillance image Friday of the suspect in the stairwell of the building, which is on Eastern Parkway, near the Grand Army Plaza. Late Friday night, the NYPD said Polite, of Brooklyn, had been arrested and charged with criminal mischief as a hate crime and making graffiti.

Link

edit on 5-11-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

At least he is for having armed off duty Police officers guard places of worship and said he would carry a gun into a place of worship.

edit on 5-11-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Just look at the jobs lost, lives ruined simply because people were exercising their rights to free expression.

yup cowboy - actions AND speech DO have consequences - the notion that you can say what ever you want - and no one is allowed to react - is fook assanine

And before anyone gets on here to start bleating about consequences of free speech, there USED to be a time when the ideal was not only freedom of speech, but freedom after speech as well.

when was that - EXACTLY - please cite the year

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Incredibly stupid, and using the 1st to stifle the 2nd.

social media is a place where people use hyperbole and ridiculousness for LULZ. What a stupid idea this is.

Exactly this!

Stifle free speech and firearm ownership all at the same time.

But what is interesting is what would social media do with offensive posts? Take them down, preserve them for LEO searches? Or leave them up? Twitter seems to leave Left leaning violent tweets up yet shadow bans conservatives for non-violent tweets they consider distasteful.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Just deactivate all your accounts before purchasing a firearm. They won't have any info to access once you deactivate links to you. Once your purchase is complete, go ahead and reactivate them. Simple bypass.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Stupid idea, that if passed (doubt it will) would be an absolute train wreck, at least in military pages our humor is pretty warped so who would judge what is posted and by what criteria would they use to decide if what you posted was outside the boundaries of what is safe.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is a prime example why Congress gets nothing useful done
They are too busy "drafting" bills that will not pass just for the vote....

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Another liberal wet dream.

Exactly.

Won't get anywhere.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

What if you have no social media. Automatically cleared or auto ban??

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Well, you must be one of those oh, so dangerous loners out there in the dark. I mean, really, how can one function w/o a FB account...?

Easily, actually. Don't have, nor will I ever, a FB account, I actually do have a twitter account, but I've never used it, nor will I. I'm not even sure why I started one in the first place...

So, yeah, I'm fairly sure some will, indeed, attempt to spin it that way.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join