It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth of 8hrs Sleep

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Sounds a lot like me. Had to laugh at the strange times to clean and decorate.

Anyways I think you should let your body tell you if it wants to sleep or wake up. There are no rules.

I can’t sleep 8 hours, I wake up after about 6 or 7 hours or even less and I’m fully awake.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Sleep? I've almost forgotten what it is... Four hours of sleep is a real treasure to me...

CX

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Thanks for this thread, loads of interesting info....I sleep very little, but am more of a bi-modal sleeper than anything.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with sleeping habits like this.

CX.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
You know times are strange when there are actual sleep education centres and online advice centres on sleeping!
All state the same you MUST NOT NAP
Rubbish

Here are some fun facts about sleep for the week-end

1. The Tudors and many Europeans used to sleep sitting up or half sitting up hence the reason they had shorter beds

2. Many deaf people have been noticed to use sign language whilst sleeping

3. There is actually a word or syndrome for those who find it hard to get up in a morning (of course there is!) Dysania which leads to....

4. In the 19th and early 20th century there was a job called the knocker upper...this was a bloke that came round in the early hours to knock on people's windows to wake them for the factories (my grandad was a knocker)

5. Humans are the only animal that willingly delay sleep when tired

6. A giraffe only sleep for 1.9hrs

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   
humans need 8

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

Apparently not so.....despite all the promoting of 8hrs and various articles recommending the same...there is little actual scientific evidence to support it and there is no hard & fast rule as all people are different as my OP explains. Many influential folk sleep far less, creative people sleep less it really depends on your lifestyle. For hundreds of years the norm was segmented sleep as I've explained earlier and by segmented I mean not fragmented

edit on 10-11-2018 by PhyllidaDavenport because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

I should of said
humans 8 hour
human/hybrid reptillians no sleep just meditation rests.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
8 hours sleep will give you best energy to face new day.

We have to go to sleep 10 PM ans wake 6 AM for great results.

Try avoid social media before 1 hour to go sleep.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage
humans need 8

That seems to be the sweet spot number, 8 hours. Overall, it doesn't matter if it's two 4-hour chunks or all at once, humans seem to definitely thrive when having a cumulative total of 8 or so hours of rest. Some people can sleep a straight 8 and wake up wired, some can sleep in chunks and be wired. It's the total deep sleep rest time that counts, not how long at a time they slept.
Ultimately, it just boils down to knowing your body and sleeping accordingly. Not everyone can sleep a solid stretch without feeling fatigued and "hungover", and not everyone can tolerate bimodal/block sleeping without pushing exhaustion or feeling homicidal

My husband's a bimodal sleeper, IMO. He can sleep for 3-4 hours, get up and do whatever without fatigue for several hours, and go back to sleep for 3-4 more and be revved and ready to go for 12 hours of work.

The bimodal sleep pattern is hit or miss for me, sometimes it works, but lately, it more often than not does not with a BIG emphasis on "not".
My husband switched from overnights to day shift recently, occasional bimodal sleeping wasn't going too well for me before, and still isn't now trying to make sure he gets up at 3am on time. Actually, the bimodal method is absolutely wrecking me the last week, I'm consistently dead on my feet day after day. Yesterday was my best night's sleep in a week, and it was a solid 8 hours, no bimodal waking.

I told him this morning that's it, I can't keep sleeping like that, he's going to need to rely on his alarm as a fallback, not me, it's counterproductive. I'm ending up exhausted too early in the day and no amount of napping is balancing it.
edit on 12/2/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

(post by voilavox removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 03:29 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join