It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Refugees refuse Refuge, are they still Refugees?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

No. I would also contend that there is no such thing as an illegal immigrant. You see, an immigrant is someone who plans on living permanently in another country. My contention is that you're plan for residence cant be avoiding the jurisdictional authority, that makes you an undocumented tourist imo. Furthermore if your plan for residence consists of having a baby on the property then you are simply an undocumented medical tourist.
edit on 11/4/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
a reply to: highvein

Does it matter in international law for asylum seekers? There is still the ability to migrate legally once asylum is granted.

Except vastly different laws then apply which would easily prevent the majority of caravan attendees from migrating into the US...since they wouldn’t have asylum seeker status.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

What's the cliché? "Beggars can't be choosers."

If you are truly in need of asylum (refuge) from certain, specific issues in your country, you don't form a caravan for travel to a country 2,000 miles away, you go to the closest place that will offer you sanctuary from that which you are fleeing.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustMike
So, that's it? Your OP is just a single question about the status of refugees in general if they refuse (offered??) refuge?
ETA: or is this just a piece of click bait? A hit-and-run post, chasing a few stars and flags? Seeing as you have not posted anything after your OP, I have to wonder.

Just trying to stimulate discussion. Also, I was curious to what everyone else thought about it. I guess I implied that it was about the Refugees coming to the U.S. southern border.

I don't think I was chasing stars - especially since I only got 3.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

Mexico offered them all housing, schooling for their kids, medical care and jobs. Nearly all of them refused and only a few accepted. That was a week or so ago.

It's made many people skeptical of their intentions. The timing of it is also suspicious with elections looming. The skepticism is understandable and it's a fair question.

posted on Nov, 5 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I can't find anywhere that Mexico turned away asylum seekers last year.

Under their own laws, completed in 2009 and a signatory to multiple declarations and agreements, ive never read anything about a "cap"...

In fact COMAR and INM (particulaly) state:

All foreigners in national territory have the right to apply for refugee status, which must be submitted to COMAR or the National Institute for Migration, within in 30 days after entering national territory.
...(snip)...

Last year they only show less than 15k application.

Just curious.

Mg

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join