It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Robert Epstein: Facebook and Google could manipulate 12 million votes in midterm elections.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Tech Workers Bankroll 2018 Dems: 96 Percent at Google, 95 Percent at Facebook, 89 Percent at Amazon.

Dr. Robert Epstein, a psychologist who studies search engine manipulation effects (SEME), has warned that Facebook and Google could shift as many as 12 million votes in the 2018 midterm elections.

Given recent news that Google attempted to interfere in political issues, this should concern Americans.

Google can impact opinion by placing search results, by offering search suggestions, and by censoring results. Facebook can bias its trending box and users' news feeds, hide content, and send voter registration reminders.

Clearly, the leaders, owners and workers of the giant tech companies are horribly biased.

Because of their bias, they may be willing or likely to manipulate their platforms to favor the candidates and issues of their choice.

Does anyone doubt that they have the ability to do so?

More so than the corporate media, I would argue that the internet has a greater ability to affect people's thinking and change people's minds.

The CIA no longer has to drag people into dark rooms and brainwash them via programs like MK Ultra (although they probably still do).

The new form of brainwashing is done through constant repetition and mass exposure facilitated by the media and the internet.

edit on 3-11-2018 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

I thought that social media propaganda was just a made up hoax by Trump haters? That it didn’t really influence people’s votes?

Funny to see that narrative change.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
What's new? Anyone with half a brain, already realizes the "manipulation" and "brainwashing" done by Liberal college professors and by MSM. Conservatives grasp this, because we're the ones utilizing that organ in our skulls and are able to see through all that bu!!#.
edit on 11/3/2018 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/3/2018 by shawmanfromny because: I'm NOT utilizing my brain very well for grammar!

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

They cannot, have not, and will not manipulate my vote.

I’m also not so sure this statistical analysis by Epstein harbors enough empiricism to be able to say with certainty that they can change votes.

Case in point, your article references the internal memo from Google where a director bragged about increasing the Hispanic turnout in 2016, but they forgot to mention that a majority of those hispanics ended up voting for Trump (much to their dismay).

Overconfidence and complacency seem to be two forms of human error that are largely overlooked. I’d wager that anyone who decides how they vote based on search engine results or their FB feed were probably doomed to vote left regardless.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I didn't know Google, Amazon and Apple were considered social media.

Maybe you can't tell the difference between search engine manipulation and social media.

Funny to see you attempt to change the narrative.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

google influences your search which in turn directs you to the info they want you to see. It's much more insidious than FB or Twitter

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I thought that social media propaganda was just a made up hoax by Trump haters? That it didn’t really influence people’s votes?

Damn you're so assbackwards. Social media had always been an issue and it's terribly bias.

As for influence, it was the Russian propaganda that was BS and didn't influence us.

This, this is different, American traitors in Social Media. Thank god, everyone sees it.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
All I know, is that we need to do something about these tech giants.

At some point, something will give.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Gasp.

This means that Trump will have to spew more lies
in order to drum up support.

# 1006

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight

They’re only lies if you have TDS

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
As if anyone would change their mind anyways. People have dug their trenches, I doubt anyone is going to come out of their own because Facebook or Google told them to.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

What you say is one of the things I like about conservatives, they can see through the bull# that liberals fall for.
What I don't like about conservatives is they have little ability to see through the bull# that they themselves have fallen for.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

I agree arnie. Yet was it liberals who paved the way for these huge corporations? Certainly to some degree, but conservative politics have as well. Under Reagan many of the regulations that served to help protect Americans from media manipulation were done away with . Then of course Clinton signing the Telecommunications Act of what was it, 96'' didn't help either.

What we have now is almost unchecked corporate power. Who do you suppose might ''do something about these tech giants''. The Republicans? Ha. The Democrats? Again Ha.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

Damn you're so assbackwards. Social media had always been an issue and it's terribly bias.

As for influence, it was the Russian propaganda that was BS and didn't influence us.

This, this is different, American traitors in Social Media. Thank god, everyone sees it.

Sure, everyone may see it, but clearly not CLEARLY enough. To many are stuck on believing that it only works on OTHER people, never me.

posted on Nov, 3 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Nothing is gonna change my vote. MAGA or nothing. Suck that Facebook and Google.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   

I know, and the idiot left claims that it's a huge deal, but says nothing when it's not Russia involved. Seems it's either an issue or it isn't.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Google - I don't use it
Facebook - I don't use it
Amazon - I buy stuff but I don't see where I'm being politically influenced
Apple - I use an iPhone but it never tells me how to vote

I'm a conservative but that study looks like one person's paranoia. I'm not convinced its of any use really.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Thought I should reignite this thread w/ recent news:

Twitter

On mobile - not bothering with image but Dr. Epstein calling out Hillary Clinton for lies about his work.

Keep in mind he’s been a Clinton supporter.

😆

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This again?

Fake news
www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ucanthandlethetruth
Thought I should reignite this thread w/ recent news:

Twitter

On mobile - not bothering with image but Dr. Epstein calling out Hillary Clinton for lies about his work.

Keep in mind he’s been a Clinton supporter.

😆

Why you gotta hit us with that right after lunch?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join