It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Yawning Divide That Explains American Politics

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

No comment on the left's fear of white men, fear that under very rock is a white supremacist, racist, misogynist, transphobe, fear of Republicans, conservatives, Christians, etc ???

You realize that what right wing media tells you about the left isn’t true, right?

Good lord, it’s like all of you went from lapping up the MSM medias lies to lapping up the right wing lies just because it isn’t the MSM.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: loam

a reply to: Mahogany

...right wing being the more emotional party of the two...

Pure comedy.

Pure truth.

Show me one Republican talking point that isn’t based on fear of something. Step back and objectively look at what they’re saying and what they’re pushing for.

An appeal to emotion is all the right wing really has. Which is why they accuse the left of being the emotional ones.

Pretty much every talking point that got my vote isn't based on any type of fear. Just basic common sense.

-Lowering the corporate tax rates to bring jobs back to America
-Deregulation to boost the economy
-Fix trade deals
-Remove the individual mandate

The left is accused of being emotional because you have no platform. They seem to only be worried about how people talk, which words we use and have an opposite stance as anything Trump supports. Although a lot of Trump policies were talking points for the left 10-15 years ago.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany
a reply to: underwerks

Well, there is a split in the white men as well, as the article explains.

Educated white men are split more than they were before. Educated white men USED to vote mostly Republican but now it shows that they are split, some still vote red and some have gone over to the blue.

The uneducated white men aren't leaving the left at all. They were never on the left. Back in the 90s they were leaning predominantly right, but now they are so far right it is not even a question of how they will vote. Their votes are unreachable to the left.

I think the right wing voters in question have always been pretty much unreachable, it’s just that now they finally have a party to belong to that mirrors how extreme they are.

Or, rather, they have a like-minded group which makes them feel warm and fuzzy all over.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Given that the uneducated have a harder life than the softer life of educated, it should come as no surprise that softer preference of being spoon fed versus learning by experience in the school of hard knocks.

Loads of success stories of college (and even high school) dropouts that made their fortunes by not laying back and being spoon fed a steady job, but striving for it with occasional setbacks.

So I guess it shows the difference in accepting a good job or struggling to make one as the path to a good life. At least in men.

That sounds like an argument against education, to me.

Am I right?

Uneducated have a harder life, therefore they are harder and better people, therefore they vote red. Education = blue = bad.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

Pure comedy.

Pure truth.

Show me one Republican talking point that isn’t based on fear of something. Step back and objectively look at what they’re saying and what they’re pushing for.

An appeal to emotion is all the right wing really has. Which is why they accuse the left of being the emotional ones.

Pretty much every talking point that got my vote isn't based on any type of fear. Just basic common sense.

-Fix trade deals

The left is accused of being emotional because you have no platform. They seem to only be worried about how people talk, which words we use and have an opposite stance as anything Trump supports. Although a lot of Trump policies were talking points for the left 10-15 years ago.

Everything you listed can be boiled down to fear of less money. Maybe you shouldn’t decide what the left is about based on what the right wing tells you?

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

Pure comedy.

Pure truth.

-Fix trade deals

Everything you listed can be boiled down to fear of less money. Maybe you shouldn’t decide what the left is about based on what the right wing tells you?

Then enlighten me, that way I get it straight from the keyboard of a full-blown lefty.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

This is a great example why this website is dying. Is there any reason to keep dedicating time and effort to threads that USED to be good but now just fall on deaf ears? Our extremism is really showing. There are no two sides to this website, there is only one side.

Apologies if I took the thread off topic, I didn’t mean to.

These days threads of value that have actual information like this one will always take a back seat to anything pro right wing, no matter how asinine, or faulty or just outright false the OP is.

What people want to believe seems to Trump what is actually happening. Pun intended.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

You guys really are the master of projection.

All the left has done over the past two years, along with 90% of the MSM, is fear monger about the President 99.9% of the time.

I'm fascinated by how you aren't even a little privately embarrassed by the things you assert.

That’s YOUR opinion which is filtered through the political lens your media of choice gives you. In this case, anything non-MSM.

Of course it isn’t going to be how things actually are.

Shirley you can't be serious?

The leftists have had their fear mongering cranked up to 11 for over 2 years now.

-The global economy was supposed to completely collapse if Trump got elected
-Blacks and gays would be rounded up and put in camps, if not just shot in the streets
-Trump would start nuclear wars
-Journalists would be arrested

Reality:
-Booming economy
-record low unemployment
-record low black and hispanic unemployment
-We haven't invaded or started bombing any new countries in two years (must be some kind of record)

You're like CNN's talking points were given life and set loose on the internet.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

This is a great example why this website is dying. Is there any reason to keep dedicating time and effort to threads that USED to be good but now just fall on deaf ears? Our extremism is really showing. There are no two sides to this website, there is only one side.

Apologies if I took the thread off topic, I didn’t mean to.

These days threads of value that have actual information like this one will always take a back seat to anything pro right wing, no matter how asinine, or faulty or just outright false the OP is.

What people want to believe seems to Trump what is actually happening. Pun intended.

No, not at all, it's all good.

I was not expecting too much from this thread, just kind of testing the water to see if I'm wasting my time here on ATS.

When Wall Street Journal, which is basically FOX News, is regarded as too left leaning on this website, the website may be just a touch too far in extremist waters for me.

I can take my work elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Yaaaaaaawn. Sorry.

Anyway, I resent the fact that "uneducated" basically means you are stupid, and somehow education means you are above those who chose not to go to college. Well, I am a retired vet working on my masters and let me tell you about your OP...

1. I will take my experience over college anyday. The military opened my eyes to things 100x more than college has.
2. College today is watered down and worthless unless you are taking a specific degree that is in dire need at the moment. I worked at Lockheed doing the same thing as people with Master's degrees.
3. Debt. Who is smarter, the white guy who goes straight into an apprenticeship with no debt, or the white girl with a 4 year degree in Marketing who is working at McDonalds because 5000 people are applying for the same 1 job?
4. I am in school with a lot of younger students, and my god are they dumb. Spelling? Sentence structure? A paragraph? WTH is that. Seriously, I know my sampling is small, but I am in a Master's class and peeps write like middle school students.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Wait. You're taking your toys home to go play?

This was a good thread with good discussion. I'd be disappointed to see you leave. Honestly.

Don't let ANY poster get in your head.

ATS needs everyone's viewpoint, whatever that might be, including yours.

edit on 2-11-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

You guys really are the master of projection.

All the left has done over the past two years, along with 90% of the MSM, is fear monger about the President 99.9% of the time.

I'm fascinated by how you aren't even a little privately embarrassed by the things you assert.

That’s YOUR opinion which is filtered through the political lens your media of choice gives you. In this case, anything non-MSM.

Of course it isn’t going to be how things actually are.

Shirley you can't be serious?

The leftists have had their fear mongering cranked up to 11 for over 2 years now.

-The global economy was supposed to completely collapse if Trump got elected
-Blacks and gays would be rounded up and put in camps, if not just shot in the streets
-Trump would start nuclear wars
-Journalists would be arrested

Reality:
-Booming economy
-record low unemployment
-record low black and hispanic unemployment
-We haven't invaded or started bombing any new countries in two years (must be some kind of record)

You're like CNN's talking points were given life and set loose on the internet.

Again, that’s your perception. And because it’s a subjective opinion it isn’t objective concrete reality. No matter how you twist and squirm to try to make it so.

When you view everything through the current Fox News lens anything left of far right is far left. As the OP has pointed out by using the Wall Street Journal as a source.

It seems crazy to you to think you might be wrong, doesn’t it? That should be your first sign.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

When Wall Street Journal, which is basically FOX News, is regarded as too left leaning on this website, the website may be just a touch too far in extremist waters for me.

I agree. When the Overton window has been moved so far right that the Wall Street Journal is called liberal it isn’t a good sign for politics, or America.

Assuming the right wing people here have heard of the Overton window.

ETA: I’d be sad to see you go. ATS needs more intelligent threads.

edit on 2-11-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-11-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Wait. You're taking your toys home to go play?

This was a good thread with good discussion. I'd be disappointed to see you leave. Honestly.

Don't let ANY poster get in your head.

ATS needs everyone's viewpoint, whatever that might be.

Oh I'm not going anywhere yet. I'll test for another week or two and if I see it's all one sided, what's the point. I have a life to focus on, I'm not here to fight against an anonymous horde day after day.

If there is quality and good discussion I'll stay. If it's ridicule and name calling, and all one side over and over and over, I'll review it as such when someone asks me and I'll move on.

Right? Wouldn't you?

If you saw a gif get 20 times more exposure than an hour of your work, wouldn't you think it's a waste of your time?

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I get that this place can be frustrating. But imo it's still one of the best moderated sites on the net.

The problem with many posters here is they forget that behind each avatar is a real person who most certainly doesn't fit the caricature they paint of them.

You have to be stoic about some of this stuff.

Good content is noticed. Trust me. And I still believe people can disagree civilly.

U2U me if you'd like me to join in some of your future threads.

ETA:

BTW, this was a good one. Made me think, even if I disagree with some of the conclusions.
edit on 2-11-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

The Men Going Their Own Way, also happen to be less educated. But single women tend to be left leaning as well despite education level, so it is a mixed bag.

But if you look at the structure of education: totalitarian authority espousing the information dispensed unrefutable fact. That is fairly leftward thinking.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I get that this place can be frustrating. But imo it's still one of the best moderated sites on the net.

The problem with many posters here is they forget that behind each avatar is a real person who most certainly doesn't fit the caricature they paint of them.

You have to be stoic about some of this stuff.

Good content is noticed. Trust me. And I still believe people can disagree civilly.

U2U me if you'd like me to join in some of your future threads.

Think of me as Spock. There are no emotions here, I just hope to find a good home.

I created a new account before looking into my old master password excel file and found this account. I've read over the years, but never thought to log in with it. I'll use it for a month or so and then decide. So far, I have to be honest, it does not look good. Work and time is wasted, people are rude and click-ey. Using links to back up one's opinion is pretty much unheard of. Etc, etc...

Even when someone backs up their opinion with facts they are ridiculed (not me, just observing) and silenced by the many. Staff can be differentiated only by title in most cases. The message can't be discerned otherwise.

I'm not saying I will not post for sure, but so far I don't see much difference from posting on Facebook or on Reddit. And the subject matter is of the same maturity level. It will either make sense to me in the end to spend my time or it won't. Very Spock like.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

No.

It's more about having to work hard and learn your limits rather than having everything handed to you.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No.

It's more about having to work hard and learn your limits rather than having everything handed to you.

Wrong thread?

I don't remember ever discussing limits or having things handed to you in this thread.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

You started a thread the other day wanting a dialogue. I attempted to engage with you, and you disappeared after the first post, Spock.

But here in this thread, I am the walking antithesis of that graph as are my mother and aunt.

Of course, I only have my brother-in-law on that graph who fits the male profile, but I don't know how he actually votes. I only suspect. I guess my cousin is on their too, but he's extremely successful for not having his education.

Then there would be my father's side of the family ... I have an uncle who likely votes left who has easily made his million and doesn't (or didn't last I knew) have a degree at all.
edit on 2-11-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-11-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join