It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 most powerful and dangerous pistols of all time

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Exactly.

Though proficiency can be gained with even really powerful handguns. You're not going to be as fast as you would with a more reasonable gun and chambering,

This is why in one of the more widespread competitive pistol shooting disciplines you have major and minor power factor classes etc.

But, if you routinely encounter bears ar close range. Maybe pack something punchier than a 9mm para pistol.

For humans though, 9mm is kinda actually overpowered and underoptimized compared to what we probably should be using. Mostly because ammunition technology has moved on since the round was designed a century plus ago

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flipper35

originally posted by: toms54
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

I'm not sure if any of those "earschplittenloudenboomer" pistols has a practical use. Even the smallest would be hard to conceal.

I just saw a video yesterday on Fox news. It was about new rifles the military is developing. They all have a larger, more powerful cartridge designed to defeat improved body armor they keep coming up with. Now I'm wondering if they will go with a heavier handgun also.

If you ever go hunt deer in a brushy area, a high powered revolver is a great way to do it. It gives you both hands free to split the brush and you carry it openly on your hip read to use.

I expect a .357 would be ok for deer. They're not much bigger than a human.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Good ol thermite. When payphones used to exist, thermite was a go to for raiding g the quarters.

Errmm.. so I heard ......

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
ONE of the most famous, powerful and deadly weapons of all time:

The block of wood, carved to resemble a 1911 Colt, then covered with black shoe-polish, that John Dillenger used to break out of the lake county jail.

It's the possessor, not the weapon, that is dangerous.

"Literally everything is a weapon." -Ron Swanson.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Pistols can be made as large and monstrous as you wish, Someone made a .50BMG pistol just because he could with no intention to fire it.

A Smith and Wesson 500 is cool until you actually fire it, Good in bear country but anything else? You wouldn't want to practice with it alot.

A Desert Eagle .50AE is a slightly better choice since it's easier to fire but still completely impractical for most uses.

The largest caliber pistol that's still practical is either a 10mm Auto or .357 Magnum, Both will take out most things in North America either a four or two legged predator for example.

I personally carry a 9mm compact pistol (FN FNX) or a full size 9mm (Springfield Armory XDM threaded barrel) and never feel under armed especially with the XDM with 19+1 rounds at the ready and 2 19 round mags in reserve.

Large caliber pistols or rifle caliber pistols are more of a novelty or used for hunting/silhouette shooting.

Personally I like efficiency, A .22 magnum pistol with 30 rounds on tap is quite tempting, A Five seveN however still has better ballistics but 10 less rounds, Would you rather have more rounds or more stopping power? A large revolver will have 5-6 rounds, A large pistol will have 7 rounds and you tend to miss in combat so I'd pick capacity over caliber any day... 9mm has gone a long way and is as effective as a .40 or .45 with proper loads hence .40 is being phased out by major manufacturers, .45ACP will exist because many people believe in the maxim of bigger is better and it has great subsonic performance out of a suppressor and of course the 1911...

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   
My Ruger Super Redhawk DA revolver, chambered in 454 Casull/45 Colt has to be near the top of the list --- Which has been rated to take out any known wild critter on the planet --- including a possible T. Rex or two.

Erno
edit on 24-1-2019 by Erno86 because: spelling

<< 1  2   >>

join