It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much money you need to be part of the 1 percent worldwide

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I found this to be an interesting read.
Of all the ways to divide people, I think the battle of the classes is the most likely to be the easiest.
It is interesting to me how "poor" people on this plant actually are.

Just how much money do you need to be among the global 1 percent? According to the 2018 Global Wealth Report from Credit Suisse Research Institute, you need a net worth of $871,320 U.S. Credit Suisse defines net worth, or "wealth," as "the value of financial assets plus real assets (principally housing) owned by households, minus their debts." More than 19 million Americans are in the 1 percent worldwide, Credit Suisse reports, far more than from any other country, while "China is now clearly established in second place in the world wealth hierarchy," with 4.2 million citizens among the world's top 1 percent.
To be among the top 10 percent worldwide, you don't even need six figures: A net worth of $93,170 will do it.
And even if you have just $4,210 to your name, you're still richer than half of the world's residents.

$871,320 is a lot, well at least to someone who does not have it.
Well until one looks at this
www.zillow.com...

The median home value in the United States is $220,100.

That makes the $800 k look attainable, and it makes the 10% well within ones attainable goal as the 10% required $93,170.

The top %50 only need $4210, a modestly priced vehicle costs more than that these days.
Kind of changes the discussion on what is actually living in poverty?

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
Of all the ways to divide people, I think the battle of the classes is the most likely to be the easiest.

Just how much money do you need to be among the global 1 percent? According to the 2018 Global Wealth Report from Credit Suisse Research Institute, you need a net worth of $871,320 U.S. Credit Suisse defines net worth, or "wealth," as "the value of financial assets plus real assets (principally housing) owned by households, minus their debts." More than 19 million Americans are in the 1 percent worldwide, Credit Suisse reports, far more than from any other country, while "China is now clearly established in second place in the world wealth hierarchy," with 4.2 million citizens among the world's top 1 percent.
To be among the top 10 percent worldwide, you don't even need six figures: A net worth of $93,170 will do it.
And even if you have just $4,210 to your name, you're still richer than half of the world's residents.

www.zillow.com...

That makes the $800 k look attainable, and it makes the 10% well within ones attainable goal as the 10% required $93,170.

The top %50 only need $4210, a modestly priced vehicle costs more than that these days.

Usually home value does not factor into net worth for the vast majority of home "owners". Sure, if you own your home free and clear it is very much an asset and counts toward net worth.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

American poverty standards are different than world poverty standards.
Ridiculously so.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

www.zillow.com...

I've posted this stat before in debates when people blabber on about the 1%.

First, that stat above is wealth, not income. Income wise, you only need to make about $35k/yr to be apart of the global 1%. Let that sink in. Pretty much anyone working any low wage job in America is considered part of the 1% because our standard of living is so high. This is why people from third world sh*t holes all want to immigrate here. Even our poorest citizens are considered rich on a global basis.

The other thing is standard of living. Almost all homes in the US have clean running water, refrigeration, indoor toilets. Most people have TVs, cell phones, cars, clothing, etc. Even the poorest hoodrat in the worst part of town lives better than the some of the upper classes in some countries.

I don't have time to find it, but I saw a study showing how the bottom 1% in America have a standard of living higher than the top 5% in India.

People have lost perspective.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Fair enough.
I would wager the majority on this forum are at least in the top 50% as they have the means to communicate here, and more likely in the top 10% as that only requires 93k.
Tho I doubt ANY here would consider themselves in the top 10%.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

American poverty standards are different than world poverty standards.
Ridiculously so.

I agree.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Pretty much anyone working any low wage job in America is considered part of the 1% because our standard of living is so high. This is why people from third world sh*t holes all want to immigrate here. Even our poorest citizens are considered rich on a global basis.

Your quote on perspective is accurate imo.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

The real owners of this country are worth much more.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Or much less depending on the afore quoted "perspective".

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

How about the "Nine"?

I wonder how much they have.

link   
On the note of perspective: I think people see net worth a lot different than they see quality of life.

link   
Gee, we probably are in the top twenty five percent. Staying there might be hard now that we are both retired.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: headorheart
On the note of perspective: I think people see net worth a lot different than they see quality of life.

Money cant buy happiness
It however can buy comfort

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

www.zillow.com...

I've posted this stat before in debates when people blabber on about the 1%.

First, that stat above is wealth, not income. Income wise, you only need to make about $35k/yr to be apart of the global 1%. Let that sink in. Pretty much anyone working any low wage job in America is considered part of the 1% because our standard of living is so high. This is why people from third world sh*t holes all want to immigrate here. Even our poorest citizens are considered rich on a global basis.

The other thing is standard of living. Almost all homes in the US have clean running water, refrigeration, indoor toilets. Most people have TVs, cell phones, cars, clothing, etc. Even the poorest hoodrat in the worst part of town lives better than the some of the upper classes in some countries.

I don't have time to find it, but I saw a study showing how the bottom 1% in America have a standard of living higher than the top 5% in India.

People have lost perspective.

Bolding is mine.

I hear that sort of stats a lot- people earning less than $5 a day in some places... yet they still manage to eat, don't they?
Try eating for $5/day in the US!

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

www.zillow.com...

Usually home value does not factor into net worth for the vast majority of home "owners". Sure, if you own your home free and clear it is very much an asset and counts toward net worth.

Yeah, its ridiculous and makes absolutely no sense to use property value to establish a persons wealth.

Minus what I owe the bank, that means I'm worth 80k. But yet I'm living week to week and can barely afford to even pay my bills... Its not like that net worth is something I can physically use to be more financially comfortable, unless I sold up and became homeless.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
thats what im saying. The 1% is not our problem. The .01% is.

.1% of the population owns 90% of wealth. These are our slave masters. These are the people that treat the earth like a big game of monopoly and use and see humanity as a resource like cattle.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The real wealthy are the top 1% of the top 1%.
If you catch my drift..

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Since Trump took office I am in the top 10% easy. If he is elected for another 4 years I will likely be in the 1% by the end of it. My expected end wage during his term will be about 900% higher than during the Obama years.

But the 1% don't make decisions. It's the 1% of the 1% of the 1% of the 1%.
edit on 1-11-2018 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Essentially it can be said you are investing most of your money for the future and so have very little to use.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

The real owners of this country are worth much more.

And yet, it's not even about money. It's about bloodlines....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join