It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Dont Need No Stinking Mandella Effect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I'm a fan of Spaghetti Westerns, esp. the Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, ones. I've watched most of them a few times. But apparently a beloved quote from one of the Clint Eastwood westerns was from a much earlier movie and was never used in any of Clint's movies.

"We don't need no stinking badges" is a movie quote I had always remembered from an Eastwood movie, like "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" or "Hang'em High", I thought it was in a scene with an encounter with some Mexican bandits who were messing with Clint.

Nope, it is a famous quote, but never mentioned as being from an Eastwood movie. It apparently is paraphrased from the 1948 film "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". Then it was used in a number of movies and TV shows, usually as a parody. Hell, even the Monkees used it in an episode of their TV show (that just happened to have aired around the release of the two Eastwood movies I mentioned).

I have watched enough old westerns and probably have seen "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", but I'll be damned because I remember it in a Clint Eastwood film.

"Mandela Effect? We don't need no stinking Mandela Effect!"

edit on 1-11-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Easy mistake to make its been used over and over.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I've seen enough old westerns to get them mixed up for sure. Not that I'm saying it's the Mandela Effect, but it's the Mandela Effect!

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I just looked over some reviews of "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". I don't remember seeing that one, although I may have. It starred Humphrey Bogart as the main character, seems hard to believe that I could confuse Bogart with Eastwood.

IMDB Movie Review

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
My dad used variations.of that phrase a lot when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure it was when we watched blazing saddles he said that's where he got it from.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

So a quote from a movie you weren't sure of turned out to be a quote from a movie you hadn't considered.

Not quite PearlJ quality but not too far off.
Although just like the more convincing ME's what you remembered was easier to remember.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

...PearlJ....

LULZ. i laugh every single time you do that. i am your biggest fan.
edit on 2018-11-01T08:59:10-05:0008America/Chicago11C-0500Nov-05:00 by tgidkp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: tgidkp

Aww shucks.

Good to see others as easily amused as me.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I really like that ME Michigan. It kinda lines up with my favorite from the movie "The Terminator".
Ahrlnold at the police station walks in and surveys, ask about Sarah Conners and states that "I'll be bach."
It gets changed in ME world to "I'll be RIGHT bach".
Of course I nearly fell out of my chair when I herd him say that, and have been ME triggered ever since.
Oh, another thing you might want to consider concerning Mandela Effect and Deja Vu. What if we are living in a simulation
that's similar to the movie Groundhog Day (Bill Murray). And instead of the time sequence being only 24 hours but 21/18 days for the loop to begin and repeat. Would anyone even notice that we are in a simulation/time loop?

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
It apparently is paraphrased from the 1948 film "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".

Yep. Know that film well:

edit on 1/11/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

One of my favorite films, too, and I'm sure it's the first source of the "badges" line.

Of course, I'm equally positive Dolly had braces in Moonraker.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

It's Mexican bandits that say it .. but it's a paraphrase. It ended up being a quote in the movie Blazing Saddles in 1974. It was a known misquote that made a parody movie in the 70s. ME? Not so much.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The line originated in the 1927 novel 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre' and has been used numerous times in film, novels, comic books, etc.
It's one of those film geek things like the "Wilhelm Scream."

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

'No luke, I am your father.'

Is the Mandela effect just an excuse for faulty memory? Mine is semi eidetic, I can remember stuff as if it happened in front of my eyes. I remember Mandela giving a speech to the south African rugby team-the springboks-in the final, I believe it was '95 and they played England I think. The next world cup in '99 was won by Australia who was captained by John Eales, and Ayton Senna died in the '94 san marino grand prix, i believe it was brake failure.

Now my memory might've failed me, google those stories and tell me what facts are wrong because I don't need to google them. There is no such thing as a Mandela effect.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I can't think of another person who has seen more and loves spaghetti westerns like my dad. Has watched all the Clint Eastwood and John Wayne movies 30 times over. He has also seen so many others not starring the Big Two.

He just confirmed for me it's from Treasure of Sierra Madre. If anyone would know, it would be him.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yule C Mann
What if we are living in a simulation
that's similar to the movie Groundhog Day (Bill Murray). And instead of the time sequence being only 24 hours but 21/18 days for the loop to begin and repeat. Would anyone even notice that we are in a simulation/time loop?

For that to work I wpuld think the loop would have to be when there are no holidays, birthdays, special events, or major events. If no one brings up the actual date, I would think who ever is in the loop would begin questioning when the next hoilday is especially after a couple or few cycles.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I don't remember it from any Clint Eastwood movie. I do remember hearing it paraphrased from a Looney Tunes cartoon and spoken by Speedy Gonzalez and also from Blazing Saddles, heh.

I've never seen the Sierra Madre movie though.

posted on Nov, 4 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
Lee Van Cleef

new topics

top topics

join