It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanksgiving is being deleted because it is nationalist / exceptionalist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: verschickter

I have a child I'm raising, I felt the need to learn new ways to be able to communicate in a way that doesn't perpetuate the hate that has infested our society, so sure it's good.

That's admirable. Just make sure you don't indoctrinate your child into thinking anything outside of your narrative is 'hate', moreover anyone not in the mainstream narrative as 'hate' group's.

Be honest with your child, and don't try to sway them too far in one direction, lest they are subject to actual extremism. You gotta let them explore all sides without restriction. That's my advice.

I did that with my own child, and he's now working on getting top secret clearance with a govt contractor making way more than me. He still loves Ron Paul although I guess that has nothing to do with this lol.

Point is, from your posts here, I see you as a very staunch leftist. Don't force your kids to have the same opinions as you because you just might be wrong. I personally think you are, but I digress.

Good luck.

My mother forced that far left crap on my siblings and I... now we love torturing her every holiday by pointing out how stupid she was trying to indoctrinate us with hatred of freedom...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

I got your post, thanks for replying. I should tell you I'm not a news junky, I'm an Ats junky

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SwissMarked

I have a child I'm raising, I felt the need to learn new ways to be able to communicate in a way that doesn't perpetuate the hate that has infested our society, so sure it's good.

That's admirable. Just make sure you don't indoctrinate your child into thinking anything outside of your narrative is 'hate', moreover anyone not in the mainstream narrative as 'hate' group's.

Be honest with your child, and don't try to sway them too far in one direction, lest they are subject to actual extremism. You gotta let them explore all sides without restriction. That's my advice.

I did that with my own child, and he's now working on getting top secret clearance with a govt contractor making way more than me. He still loves Ron Paul although I guess that has nothing to do with this lol.

Point is, from your posts here, I see you as a very staunch leftist. Don't force your kids to have the same opinions as you because you just might be wrong. I personally think you are, but I digress.

Good luck.

My mother forced that far left crap on my siblings and I... now we love torturing her every holiday by pointing out how stupid she was trying to indoctrinate us with hatred of freedom...

You're on a public forum calling your own mother stupid.......

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: je55ejame5

In future posts don’t forget to add Canada and Mexico along with most of South America onto that list .

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
Why is this the first time I notice something reasonable I can agree with from your account?

Perhaps one of us decided to use less judgement in their approach, perhaps even both of us...
edit on 1-11-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: je55ejame5

originally posted by: Fallingdown
If the “tolerant” left had its way. Thanksgiving would be renamed native American genocide enslavement and theft of land by evil white men .

You mean the truth of the creation of this country.

Gotta crack a couple eggs if you want to make an omlet...

Fact of the matter is if the “red people” wouldn’t have kept picking fights they wouldn’t have got their sorry asses handed to them... but you want to keep coming at people that try to break bread with you... expect to get your own scalp handed to you...

Happy Thanksgiving... enjoy the freedoms the “white man” killed for...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: SwissMarked

Good luck.

You're on a public forum calling your own mother stupid.......

The truth is the truth... and I tell it like it is... she embraces people that would cut her throat for their own benefit... that’s stupid... now matter how you slice it...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   

I got your post, thanks for replying. I should tell you I'm not a news junky, I'm an Ats junky

Cool. Just don't ever try to indoctrinate your child with any news you think is real. Let them decide.

My son doesn't let me do that. I think his college professors and his liberal peers did a lot to influence him. But oh well. He gets to form his own opinions. I can only share my opinions. The rest is up to him.

In the end, we all get to find out.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Cool. Just don't ever try to indoctrinate your child with any news you think is real. Let them decide.

Cool, thanks ...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 04:34 AM
link   

as a bavarian i tell you: don't panic.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: AtlasHawk

Why would santa come for christmas? Isn´t christmas a christian holiday that celebrates jesus birth (yes I know 24.12 was not the date..)

What has this santa to do with that?

Excuse my ignorant questions.

Actually, if you want to get right down to it, "Christmas" originally started out as a pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice and other things. It was a great big drunken orgy which went on for weeks. It got so out of control the church banned it until they could figure out how to get it under control. Eventually, in the 17th century, they decided to turn it into the celebration of Christ's birth, an event which, at the time, not even pagans would dare disrespect due to cultural backlash.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: generik
thanksgiving is a religious holiday? what religion would that be? i only know of two countries that even have thanksgiving at this time of year. that being Canada having one in October, and the US having one in November. although it seems possibly Germany has a similar sort of holiday. in fact thanksgiving if anything is really a harvest celebration. nothing at all to do with religion.

The UK also celebrates *Harvest Festival* at this time of the year, churches

are filled with produce and prayers are said to God before distributing

the food to the old and poor.

*Praying and giving thanks for the abundant harvest* ........ Is that not

something to do with religion?

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

All our holidays are recent inventions.

Even Christmas became an event that happened outside of the church. It was randomly chosen and built around long standing pagan traditions.

I wish we would make a new calendar based off the Mayan long count.

Then we could make new holidays. The first would happen on day one and be called: Common day.

Every common person gets to rest and is given back 90% of all their taxes collected throughout the year.

That is the only holiday I want.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
If the “tolerant” left had its way. Thanksgiving would be renamed native American genocide enslavement and theft of land by evil white men .

PETA would probably chime in about the slaughter of turkeys or some such # .

Before anybody considers this post off topic. The chipping away at our traditions is due to the new PC culture .

So true .... here in the UK we are constantly being encouraged to say

*Happy Holidays* instead of the previously *Happy Christmas* indeed our

traditional cards are also going that way.

The reason for this being it is offensive to immigrants .... ???????? They came

here!! It is our tradition part of our country!!!

When someone visits my home I make them welcome, but my home my

rules/traditions. Likewise when I visit it is their rules/traditions'

I just wish that people would leave our heritage alone .

* for you.

edit on 1-11-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I'm just here to tell you all where I stand.

I wouldn't care if every holiday in the world was done away with.

My happiness and quality of life have never depended on traditions or rituals.

Notice that I said I wouldn't care. I didn't say I would be happy or that I want them gone. I just don't care.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   
What the hell are you talking about? I've seen Thanksgiving decorations mixed in with the general autumn ones since they went out on the shelves in August, it's not like the stores are devoid of Turkey Day decor o.O

Nobody's getting rid of Get Fatter Day. The grocery stores have excessive numbers of frozen and raw turkeys out already, the pumpkin and cranberry products and side dish ingredients are highlighted in isles and on endcaps, etc.

Americans like to eat, especially in excess. Thanksgiving is a heavily food-centric holiday. Therefore, Thanksgiving ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Besides, Thanksgiving didn't come about as a religious holiday. It was originally a day to honor burning a village down and killing 500 people. Oh the things you learn when you ignore the rose tint and actually research a holiday.

The celebration in 1621 did not mark a friendly turning point and did not become an annual event. Relations between the Wampanoag and the settlers deteriorated, leading to the Pequot War. In 1637, in retaliation for the murder of a man the settlers believed the Wampanoags killed, they burned a nearby village, killing as many as 500 men, women, and children.

Following the massacre, William Bradford, the Governor of Plymouth, wrote that for “the next 100 years, every Thanksgiving Day ordained by a Governor was in honor of the bloody victory, thanking God that the battle had been won.”

fortune.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Thanks for that....seems to tie in more with actual events.

As I get my American History from Professors Cartman and Kyle of SPU (South Park Uni), I heard "Thanksgiving" was something like this.

The British crazy religious zealots, who invaded the North Americas, and were running out of food, as the returning shipd was still months away coming back from London with Provisions........then they started to starve.
Apparently a tribe of locals told the invaders that they would feed them, if they went and killed an opposition tribe of locals, with their magic lightening sticks.
After killing the opposition, the British then had a big feast of corn and turkey with the Locals, who inturn probably told them, when their big canoe arrives back from beyond the sea, to F**K off with the big canoe and not come back....

The problem is, the British stayed.....much to the dismay of the locals.

Then this became Thanksgiving.......

Is this correct, as per the above comment??

What do Americans actually think of "Thanksgiving"?.......are they proud of these British?,,,,apparently in 1770 they changed their minds??

Its fascinating to think any other country would celebrate American Thanksgiving.......We certainly don't here.

But European Fertility, Solstice and Seasonal Festivals......I'm all for that...especially Octoberfest.....Damn I missed it again.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I have never known anyone from any religious or racial group being "offended" by Christmas. It was simply assumed that they would be by "Right On" Politically Correct lefties in control of Councils like the People's Republic of Islington etc who banned Christmas in Schools etc.

The same sort of swivel eyed PC tossers who insist on everyone getting a medal on school sports days etc.

Why the obsession with people being "offended"? I am a Brit. I like Christmas. I am offended by people who tell me I should not send Christmas cards or wish people "Happy Christmas" because it might offend someone.

Spineless idiots.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

How is Thanksgiving a religious holiday?

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
So true .... here in the UK we are constantly being encouraged to say
*Happy Holidays* instead of the previously *Happy Christmas*
I just wish that people would leave our heritage alone .

As someone who lives in the UK I can quite confidently state that this is not true.

You get hysterical people claiming that "Merry Christmas" is being banned because it offends "them" who are "coming here" but you never see anyone who actually claims to be offended and wants it banned. Maybe the odd far-left nutter or someone out to deliberately cause trouble would say it.
edit on 1-11-2018 by Vasteel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join