It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Kuznetsov aircraft carrier has major incident in dock

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
A major accident took place at the Russian shipyard where the the Russian's sole aircraft carrier, the Kuznetsov, has been in dock. First a crane fell on the warship and torn a 5m wide (16+ ft) gash in the ship. Then the floating dock that the ship was in started to flood and sink. The warship was extracted before the dock completely sunk though.

70 odd people were evacuated. Two are being treated for hypothermia. One is missing.

The Russians have opened a criminal investigation and the suspicion is that safety rules were just, well, ignored.

Shocker, that.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Probably those meddling Americans.
edit on 30-10-2018 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Damn...tough week, ruskies? Let me buy ya'll one, tell me all 'bout it.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Q: how do you sink a Russian aircraft carrier

A: put it in water

The article said the floating I assume dry dock, lost electrical power which cause the ballast tanks to fill and it sank .

My first question is why wasn’t there more redundancy in the system ?
edit on 30-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Is this the one that always seems to have to be towed by tugs cos it keeps breaking down?

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Perhaps this is “another way” to get rid of the beloved soviet era old carrier!

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Sounds like it would probably make a great new coral reef somewhere.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
At least they didn't collide with a cargo ship

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Russian Military + Vodka = stuff like this.

very long-term issue for Ivan

sad about people being injured / missing but I still get a giggle. if there had been a WWIII (and thank God there wasn't, at least not yet) they might have been in deep trouble.

reading about the six-day Israel/Arab war in 1967. Soviets supplied hundreds of tanks and aircraft to Egypt/Syria/Jordan and they were completely outclassed. course a lot of that was maintenance and operator quality.

I don't think the Russkies need a carrier but if they want to pour resources down that hole...

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

Probably demotivated technicians/ milliairy personal who have watched the entire millitairy might of the nation go into a downward spiral. If I am informed correct there is only one super boomer Typhoon class sub in service and from what I read only one aircraft carrier....if they are quick fixing the boat up and running that is.

They gave up...they just do not care anymore... Capitalism and all its corruption can walk right into the door and take over without firing a shot.. (uhmm...maybe thats why there are all these problems in russia)

edit on 30/10/2018 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Remember people..

The Russians are preparing for war!

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: zatara
a reply to: Assassin82

Probably demotivated technicians/ milliairy personal who have watched the entire millitairy might of the nation go into a downward spiral. If I am informed correct there is only one super boomer Typhoon class sub in service and from what I read only one aircraft carrier....if they are quick fixing the boat up and running that is.

They gave up...they just do not care anymore... Capitalism and all its corruption can walk right into the door and take over without firing a shot.. (uhmm...maybe thats why there are all these problems in russia)

That wouldn’t surprise me. My responsive was sarcastic in nature, reflective of the “meddling Russians” fiasco we have going on here disrupting our politics.

It yeah, Russia looks good on a glossy photo, but behind the camera it’s a sh**hole

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Are we sure this wasn't some plot by us to interfere with Russia via some hack on their equipment? I wouldn't put it past us given what activities have been reported on the last several years. My best,

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
One word. 'Vodka.'

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
Q: how do you sink a Russian aircraft carrier

A: put it in water

The article said the floating I assume dry dock, lost electrical power which cause the ballast tanks to fill and it sank .

My first question is why wasn’t there more redundancy in the system ?

Isn't that like building a jail and when the power goes out the cells unlock?

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I heard that the crane caused $1bn worth of improvements.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It doesn’t seem like a huge design leap to have a manual back up .
edit on 30-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Remember people..
The Russians are preparing for war!

You don't need a navy to intimidate and meddle in the affairs of those countries on your border.

There is an awful lot Russian equipment that is old and worn out. This may be a problem with a lack of investment rather than vodka.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Poor old Kuz.
Time to put him out to pasture.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Russian exercise

On Friday, Russia informed NATO about a Russian exercise where they are going to test missiles off the Norwegian coast, in an area with several Norwegian offshore installations. This will be a 3-day exercise, starting on Thursday. I don't know whether Admiral Kuznetsov was supposed to participate in this exercise.

Russia plans missile tests off Norway amid NATO exercises

23 hours ago

The Russian navy plans to test missiles in international waters off the Norwegian coast this week, said Norwegian and NATO officials on Monday, as NATO conducts its biggest exercise since the Cold War in the Scandinavian country.

Avinor and the defense minister said Russia had informed Norway about the test on Friday.

Trident Juncture began last week and is to continue as scheduled. It involves around 50,000 soldiers, 10,000 vehicles and more than 300 aircraft and ships.

NATO warned about Russian missile test last week

29. October 2018

According to the newspaper Klassekampen, the Russian exercise will take place in the Norwegian Sea just off the Møre Coast, a short distance from Kristiansund, Molde and Ålesund, and in an area with several Norwegian offshore installations. The exercise will take place from November 1st to 3rd, from 7 am to 2 pm every day.

Senior Researcher at the Norwegian Foreign Policy Institute, June Wilhelmsen, tells NRK that she does not think it’s a coincidence that the missile test occurs just now.

– I can not know for sure. But it is very likely that this is a kind of a reaction to Trident Juncture, she says.

USS Harry S. Truman is there.

US Marines launch separate exercise in northern Norway ahead of NATO drill

USS Harry S. Truman is of the Nimitz-class, the largest nuclear-powered aircraft carriers in the U.S. Navy. The ship has 90 planes and helicopters and a crew of about 5,000 people.

An American aircraft carrier last participated in a NATO exercise in Norway in 1989.

Admiral Kuznetsov participated in an exercise in 2007, and Norway had to suspend helicopter flights to some of its main fields.

Russian navy distrupts access to N.Sea oilfields

December 11, 2007

Norwegian oil and gas producer StatoilHydro STL.OL has suspended helicopter flights to some of its main fields in the North Sea due to Russian navy exercises in nearby international waters, the company said on Tuesday.

Norway’s military said a Russian aircraft carrier and two accompanying vessels were carrying out exercises near the heart of Norway’s offshore oil and gas sector in the North Sea.

...but of course, the incident with Admiral Kuznetsov was just... an accident.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join