It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do US liberals think the UK is racist for defending its border?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: headorheart
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

While, I dislike Trump, I would not call myself liberal. So I may not want to be who you want to hear from necessarily. However, I do not think any county protecting their border is racist. I think every county has the right to protect it's borders and control/vet whom enters.

Where I think the racism comes in, at least in the United States, is when people starting generalizing all illegal immigrants as rapists and criminals. I don't want to let everyone in, but I can sympathize wanting to leave for a better situation. The US has quite the process to become a citizen. I can at least understand why not everyone has the time and means to go through the process.

If they can pay a coyote to get them to the border/across it, they have the means to do it the right way.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa
Oz and the UK are way tougher on immigration than the US but our populace don't seem to make such a fuss as US liberals do.
Is it a cultural thing do ya think, or just most folk realise that illegal immigration is not good for a society?

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

You could have just asked if the Sun is very, very bright.

Its like axin the same thing.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: amazing
I live in the US and I don't know anyone that thinks protecting the US border makes anyone a racist?

Only idiots on TV and only when people carry it too far into insults and untruths.

This is what I was thinking. The defending the border makes you racist thing is something I’ve never heard anyone say.

OP, that isn’t a real thing, that’s just something people on the right wing say to try to make liberals look a certain way. It doesn’t exist outside of their heads and the cherry picked statements they use to try and validate it.

Oh? What should happen to the caravan when it gets here?

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

The BBC sure doesn't see it like we do...all I hear is Trump, blah, blah, blah.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

I live in the US and I don't know anyone that thinks protecting the US border makes anyone a racist?

Only idiots on TV and only when people carry it too far into insults and untruths.

This is what I was thinking. The defending the border makes you racist thing is something I’ve never heard anyone say.

OP, that isn’t a real thing, that’s just something people on the right wing say to try to make liberals look a certain way. It doesn’t exist outside of their heads and the cherry picked statements they use to try and validate it.

The caravan isn't illegal. They are seeking asylum, a perfectly legal thing to do.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24
Seems crazy how they portray the US as anti immigrant, anti illegal immigrant is fine in my book, that's exactly how the UK govt views it. Us and Australia are like fortresses.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: narrator

The caravan isn't illegal. They are seeking asylum, a perfectly legal thing to do.
The UK would tell them to # off because they passed through safe nations and didn't claim asylum there.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Yup, as is it perfectly legal to detain them until their asylum request is viewed and approved.

Which was the point of contention last time as I recall.
edit on 29-10-2018 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

The UK would tell them to # off because they passed through safe nations and didn't claim asylum there.

Mexico offered them asylum, food, shelter, and jobs already.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

a reply to: lakenheath24
Seems crazy how they portray the US as anti immigrant, anti illegal immigrant is fine in my book, that's exactly how the UK govt views it. Us and Australia are like fortresses.

That's the spin. That's one thing Trump refers to as "fake news". We are not anti-immigrant, but we ask that everyone comes through the proper channels. Yes, it needs fixing. But that will only happen when e start punishing more businesses for employing illegal immigrants and people stop holding the issue hostage with appeals to emotion.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454
Copy Britain and Australia then, problem solved. Defend your border.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Yup, as is it perfectly legal to detain them until their asylum request is viewed and approved.

I'm not opposed to that at all. I think them being contained could be organized a lot better, but I do agree that they shouldn't just be allowed in freely. We have so much notice that they're coming, set up a temporary facility so they can be processed/heard relatively quickly, detain them until they go through processing. All good in my book.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I'm not opposed to that at all. I think them being contained could be organized a lot better, but I do agree that they shouldn't just be allowed in freely. We have so much notice that they're coming, set up a temporary facility so they can be processed/heard relatively quickly, detain them until they go through processing. All good in my book.

We already did that. Remember the big to do about the converted Walmart? It had a number of flat screen TVs, amenities and so on.

This was the narrative.

But later on it was revealed that these photos were from 2014, under Obama.

The US has had a long standing policy on people with children. They are separated until familial relations or guardianship can be proven.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the UK does, I know we have family detention centres.
Either way, enter the UK illegally and you will have a hard time staying here.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I'm not sure what the UK does, I know we have family detention centres.
Either way, enter the UK illegally and you will have a hard time staying here.

We only do it because we've caught people before trying to use kidnapped children to cross the border.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Tibet is VEHEMENTLY anti-immigration for the STATED REASON that it wants to preserve its culture.

I have NEVER heard a lib claim Tibet is “racist”.

Same with Japan. And probably around a hundred and fifty other “non-western” nation’s.

Protecting ones culture is ONLY racist when said culture is ‘western’.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Bastards using kids like that.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Bastards using kids like that.

Its why its a complicated issue.

You're lucky that you're an island, and you have the rest of Europe to insulate you from those choices, or did anyway.

We've got cartel country to our south with nothing but Mexico between us. And Mexico isn't exactly free of that itself.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Our border is in France now, thank # our officers are on French soil because if they weren't the French wouldn't stop them.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join