It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lion Air 737 Max 8 fatal crash

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   
It seems Lion Air have managed to loose yet another aircraft, this time killing 189 people in the process. It is far to early to say what caused the accident or if it was pilot or aircraft induced. The aircraft in question was a virtually brand new 737 Max 8 only delivered in August this year. Reports are that a few minutes after takeoff the aircraft entered into a steep dive and impacted the sea killing all aboard. There is a recovery mission underway as we speak. Apparently there are claims the aircraft attempted to return to Jakarta due to a technical issue which was unspecified. FG article. I'll hold off judging what happened here as it could well be an issue with the aircraft and its worthy to note this is the first serious accident involving the 737 Max family I'm aware of. But its also worthy to note that Lion Air to date have had 11 major accidents since 2002 resulting in the loss of 6 aircraft including this one which is also the second involving fatalities, 5 accidents that resulted in major damage and one minor loss. The most recent accident was in April this year when a 737-800 made a runway excursion resulting in major damage that wont see the aircraft return to service until next month. Their last hull loss was in April 2013 in which miraculously no one died when another 737 landed short of the runway in the sea.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Already posted.

Here

P

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Reports over here are saying on its last flight the plane had some technical difficulties but was repaired according to the manufacturer procedures but will investigate whether its a contributing factor or not.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   

This airline is almost as good as Aeroflot.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Agreed, close but not as funny and with probably fewer drunk pilots so they have less excuses.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358
Which begs the question , why is it not posted in the aviation forum?

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Can't believe they're still going after all the accidents I know they were banned from EU airspace for a while

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Other than the Japanese, Korean and Singapore airlines I wont fly on another Asian carrier due to what appears to me as a serious issue with training and safety.

The primary flying equation for me is that the number of landings needs to equal the number of takeoffs, Lion Air and their ilk don't seem to get this.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510
I'm betting whatever it was they bodged it up or penned it off in the tech log. Again no real surprise there.

edit on 29-10-2018 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I can scarcely believe it myself. We should probably run a book on them as to how long before they get banned somewhere and how long before next total hull loss incident. I'm betting 6 months and 12 months respectively. Any takers?

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   

That seems to be the general concensus on the standard of aviation repairs in that part of the world. I'll tend to believe you over the media as well due it being your line of work.

Picture from our media of someone's bag containing their phone. I know phones are quite fragile but it's just ripped apart it must have hit at a massive impact
edit on 29-10-2018 by Woody510 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
It seems the earlier problem was due to instrument disagree. I'm more and more leaning to someone just penning it off instead of actually looking for a real problem. It almost sounds like blocked pitot.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: thebozeian
It almost sounds like blocked pitot.

That's the same as the AF crash in the Atlantic, yes?

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
More or less yes. The AF A-330 crash was due to ice and it being night time. This accident was in the early morning and I presume local sunrise had occurred so they theoretically should have had a horizon reference point. even with instrument failure.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Flight Radar 24 is showing the last ADSB data as having a 30,000ft plus a minute descent rate so it would have been massive impact and trauma. They basically dove at the ocean at high speed.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   

🙁🙁 It's amazing how something awful can get worse with a small detail. You always hope it wasn't like that. The aviation industry is a dangerous game to be played, hopefully the world gets an answer this time.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I was expecting Lion Air to be state owned that was the only way I could see them still running but they're not. Surely at some point Indonesian airlines are going to find it hard to lease airliners. All together there has been 40 incidents in Indonesia resulting in loss of life since 2001 that's more than 2 a year!!!!

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Previous flight was a bit of a nightmare too.

The Lion Air plane that crashed into the ocean in Indonesia with 189 people on-board, had rapid descents that left passengers vomiting during its previous flight, it has been revealed.

au.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

According to the maintenance log making the rounds, they flushed the pitot and static ADM. They also had an issue with the elevator feel sensor that they cleaned the connectors on.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Barring a mechanical failure, which doesn't seem to be as there was no emergency declared, it seems more and more pilots are unable to fly hands on seat of the pants and just follow the craft into the ground.

AF 447, Colgan, whozit that forgot how to run the throttles at San Francisca and so on and so on.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join