It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indonesia Lion Air flight crashes en route from Jakarta to Pangkal Pinang

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

A Lion Air flight capable of carrying up to 189 passengers has crashed during a short flight from the Indonesian capital Jakarta to Pangkal Pinang, according to Indonesia's National Search and Rescue Agency

Indonesia Lion Air flight crashes en route from Jakarta to Pangkal Pinang

Not much out there right now but doesnt seem likely that their will be survivors.
Will post more.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I can't get that CNN link to work( it's asking me to pay a fee to read ).
Here's another.
www.news.com.au...

The plane — with a seating capacity of 210 — disappeared near Karawang in West Java province, said Yusuf Latif, a spokesman for the National Search and Rescue Agency. There are unconfirmed reports a tugboat crew in Karawang have reported seeing “debris of a plane” in the water, the Jakarta Post reports. Indonesia energy firm Pertamina official also report debris, including plane seats, have been seen near its offshore facility in Java Sea

edit on 28-10-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The aircraft crashed 13 minutes after takeoff. It was a brand new 737 Max 8, delivered in August of this year. Reports are 189 on board. ADS-B data shows a rapid descent when data was lost.

The data is unusual at this point. They flew the entire departure at over 300 knots. Upon reaching 2,000 feet they descended back down to 1400, before climbing to 5400 feet, which was the highest altitude reached.

edit on 10/28/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Dangit.......God love em.....
Brb with something....

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The crew had requested to return shortly before the crash.

178 adults, 1 child, 2 infants, 2 cockpit crew, 6 cabin crew are being reported.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
"Debris, life vests and a cellphone has been discovered two nautical miles from the coordinates given as the crash site, officials said."

Just a brief piece of humanity in what is a horrible day for many families impacted by this.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

www.dailymail.co.uk...

plane seats and life jackets in the water,,,a tug boat saw the plane fall

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Per a briefing by Indonesian officials, the aircraft was delivered August 15th, and had 800 hours to date. The Captain had 6,000 hours, and the First Officer 5,000 total time. The crew had requested to return to one of the two airports in the area, due to mechanical difficulties. There were 188 on board.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

thanks zapth...you have much knowledge about planes and flying I always appreciate your info and numbers...always sad when one crashes...so sorry for the families and loved ones left behind
edit on 28-10-2018 by research100 because: dang spelling

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Whoa. Looking at the FR24 granular ADS-B data, there was a major failure in the aircraft. In the last minute of flight, the vertical speed surpassed 5,000 fpm before the aircraft dove into the water.

www.flightradar24.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Misery visits now and then, actuator hope not

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Looking at the raw data they were struggling to maintain altitude. The last reading was at 425 feet, and showed a 31,000 fpm descent.

There's talk that the aircraft had an IAS/ALT disagreement on the flight prior to this one. The raw data certainly looks like instrument failure.
edit on 10/29/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 12:09 AM
link   
So Indonesia are reporting 20 financial officials for the government were onboard...

that sounds like a lot
edit on 29/10/18 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

There was a ministry event in Jakarta. They were based in Bangka.

Finance Ministry employees on board Lion Air's JT610 were in Jakarta for a ministry event, and some were in Jakarta to spend the weekend with their families, says Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati. Employees were based in Bangka and on the return journey to their offices in Pangkalpinang.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I know it is way too early to tell, but that rate of decent could easily be caused by a bomb.

Perhaps finances needed looking at and someone did not want that to happen.

For now, we have to wait on the investigation.

P

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

They initially had trouble passing through 2000 feet, approaching 2100 feet. They climbed to 5400 feet before going into the final descent. That's usually indicative of mechanical failure, not a bomb. Several people I talk to say the data looks like they lost an engine initially.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   

OK, thanks as usual for the input from your expertise.

In normal circumstances would they not radio what the problem is when they ask for an emergency landing?

Perhaps they did and it has not been released as yet.

P

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

They probably did, but very little has been released from official sources yet. Most of what we know came from the transponder data.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 03:44 AM
link   
The flight before the crash the Captain's instruments were reported as unreliable, and there were several systems that disagreed with each other that could have caused another Air France 447 type incident. The crew flying it in made the decision to land in Jakarta and were able to land safely.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
What an absolutely terrifying ordeal for the passengers (and crew). May they rest in peace.

Thankfully maybe not quite as terrifying as AS261 simply because they didn't have the altitude, but still a horrifying ordeal I'm sure.

I think if I had to pick something, this type of an event would be my worst fear. Just completely helpless to do anything, but ample time to realize it and wonder at what moment you were going to slam headlong into a solid wall of effectively concrete.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join