It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Threat of Yellowstone Volcano Eruption Increases to ‘High,’ Says USGS

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Here you go they have done modeling and actually the eruption doesn't have as large an effect as people believed it did. Modeling surprisingly shows the distribution of ash remains the same after a certain point.

www.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

It's fascinating isn't it? History and Geology are my "thing" and i was always terrified of volcanoes. Then you learn about super volcanoes and the terror goes up a notch (or three). And then you actually properly learn about them........and the fear factor falls by a huge margin.

At the end of the day, a super eruption is not a pleasant thing. But, unless you are in the immediate explosive or fallout vicinity, not necessarily a fatal thing - and certainly not an ELE event.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Wow thanks Dragonridr , thats awesome !
I thought that it would block out the sun for a year or something haha

I have always enjoyed volcano's since I knew most castles and ancient sites are built on volcanic plugs, as a kid learning about castles also peaked my interest in volcano's too!

I've always enjoyed watching documentaries on volcanic eruptions etc , and I have enjoyed learning about the Scottish volcanic systems.

I really loved watching the Werner Herzog documentary into the inferno!
it's almost unbelievable watching it.
It doesn't seem real to see the liquid earth moving like that , wild and chaotic
it really is the raw power of earth in its full destructive force

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Well i think part of the reason its not as bad as the web tried to make it out to be is they forget weather too. During an eruption thunder lightening and rain occurs near the volcano. That ash attracts water droplets causing it to rain. Thats why after a certain level there is no additional damage done.

Volcano is not hazardous after a couple of hundred miles even super volcanoes. Crips can be damaged but precautions can be made to avoid that as well. And in fact makes great fertilizer for crops. Farmers just have to make sure the ash doesn't block photosynthesis in the leaves. But for the most part the rain will take care if it as well. As ash quickly dissolves into the soil. Ever been to Hawaii great for growing things.
edit on 10/30/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Isn't it quite funny , how something so destructive can also be so life giving , A volcano to me is the earthly incarnation of the sun !

the sun gives life but also kills quite easily!

AS usual the media just blowing everything out of proportion just to sell papers! or get clicks

I have never been to Hawaii but I'd love to go some beautiful natural habitats there id love to check those out and see some of the Hawaiian culture and wildlife

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join