It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast Metabolism Diet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
My boyfriend went to the doctor today to get his blood pressure checked and found out that, along with his high blood pressure, he's also borderline diabetic. The doctor wants to put him on this diet (which I will do too to be supportive and I also need to lose weight and eat healthier) called the Fast Metabolism Diet. Has anyone here tried it? If so, did it work for you, and do you have any tips for a beginner?

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Just eat small amounts many times a day. I am struggling to gain weight right now. I will eat something and less than an hour later my stomach is grinding again. There is more to it I am sure but that is all I have right now.
edit on 23-10-2018 by CosmicAwakening because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: sassycassie

Diets with stringent barriers to contain become overbearing, so I always endorse the slow and steady route to dieting. Changing practices little by little helps lessen the burdens of expectations, and instead allows for a more broad focus of general overall health and well being slowly learning the healthier choices.

Once I found that intermittent fasting (12 hour stretches with no food) helped heal many aspects, not just one, I have never turned back. It's simple... if the body doesn't go prolonged periods of time having to eat upon its own fat reserves it becomes ever increasingly difficult for the metabolism to shift back and forth between making fuel of fat reserves and fuel from eaten proteins and glucose.

It wasn't the case at first, but I can go up to four days with no food now that I am practiced. I never ever get hungry, and my eating budget has corrected itself to being modest. The act of practicing fasting alone makes me so thankful for each and every meal... making what I end up choosing to eat healthier and more cleanly sourced... which creates a cycle of learning to live cleaner and healthier a closed loop system.

The human body is not meant to have a constant IV of food to fuel from... not grown adult bodies at the least.

Strict diets fail at high rates. Changing practices turns into habits. I keep it very simple, and thank the practice of fasting for never being ill and haven't even taken an aspirin in close to ten years outside of an E.R..

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

Wouldn't that put your body into starvation mode though?

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

I would be glad to give you some of my weight! lol Because I'm sure you haven't heard that one before.
It's going to be an adjustment for sure. We eat a lot of junk food at the moment. I'm actually kind of excited to start eating healthy, but this diet has a lot of restrictions. I think we will be able to do it though.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Seems like you would be eating too frequently on the fast metabolism diet. I tried that, and I felt great for a few weeks, then I got to the point that I was ravenously hungry if I missed a snack, and I would start getting hypoglycemia symptoms.

I lost 65 lbs in 7 months doing a high vegetable ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting. I would eat 1 to 2 large meals per day with a good amount of fat, moderate protein, while keeping carbs under 50 grams. Once I got past the first week, I felt great 24/7. Blood pressure and blood sugars sunk like a rock.

Once you get used to keto and intermittent fasting, your fasting insulin levels drop, and your body eats its own fat for food, so you never really feel hungry. On top of that, fasting causes your body to release HGH, which helps you lose weight, build muscle, and also helps the brain function more efficiently...seriously.

edit on 23-10-2018 by BELIEVERpriest because: added point

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Hmm. That might be something to look into if this diet doesn't work for us.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Some of the claims of the author don't actually seem scientifically valid but this seems to be a factor of most popular diets.

Also, the idea of rapid weight loss is a warning flag. You really want something that is reasonable, liveable and sustainable. It's like investing (financially) in something, there are higher risks with rapid returns. What most people really want is an assured and reasonable profit that just keeps going.

The 'math' of diet is easy, if you take in more than you use, you either have to store it or excrete it. Our bodies usually choose to store.

Also, burning off the excess through exercise is really hard. You'd have to run about 3 kilometers (nearly 2 miles) to burn off a 600ml (20 Oz) soft drink! Most people really don't live an energetic enough lifestyle to burn off their usual diet's energy and so we gain weight.

If you eat less you'd have to start loosing weight after a bit.

Trouble is, we eat & drink for comfort and all those modern and convenient foods are formulated to entice us!

The chr0naut diet is:

- Eat less, and when you do, have as big a variety as possible (in tiny amounts).
- Avoid salts, preservatives, sugars and artificial additives.
- Exercise more.
- Learn to differentiate between true hunger and the desire to 'snack'.
- Defer eating as long as possible with tricks such as drinking water and/or cleaning your teeth.
- Go to bed early & get some good quality shuteye (if you aren't sleeping well, deal with it, don't let it slide).
- De-stress (people snack when they are stressed).
- Establish a new mental image of metabolic 'normal' that isn't full or over-full and inactive at the same time.

But, the fast metabolic diet might work for you (most diets work better than none).

edit on 23/10/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Keep in mind, every time you eat, your body releases insulin, and frequent insulin stimulation is what causes insulin resistance, which is linked to obesity, type II diabetes, heart disease, and pretty much everything else that can go wrong with the body. Different foods stimulate insulin at different levels.

You should look up "insulin resistance", what causes it, and ways to fix it. You'll learn a lot more by doing that than by going to your doctor.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Start by intermediate fasting.
Eat no later than 8PM and eat no earlier than 8AM, it's a simple 12 hour fast. If you get hungry, just chug some water.
It works. I work a very physical job and I don't eat from 7PM to 9:30AM on my first break, took me a while to adjust but I do it everyday, and I make sure my first meal isn't heavy on the sugars, but more protein and fat enriched.

I usually have a small easy lunch, and I don't have a large meal until dinner.

It's a mix of routine, dedication and diet-lifestyle changes.
If you're in the diabetic range you need to lay off the sugars and just get active, anything, just a walk around the block twice will do. Start off slow, and see the difference.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This is all a lot of good info to think about.

BELIEVERpriest, it seems like the fast metabolism diet takes the whole insulin resistance into consideration with the different phases it has. It's just a lot of information to take in all at once and I'm not sure I understand it quite yet. I still need to research it more I guess before we start it. I'm just tired of feeling like doodies all the time, and I'm sure my boyfriend is too. Hopefully this will at least be a turning point for us to find out what works best for us.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ttobban

Diets with stringent barriers to contain become overbearing, so I always endorse the slow and steady route to dieting. Changing practices little by little helps lessen the burdens of expectations, and instead allows for a more broad focus of general overall health and well being slowly learning the healthier choices.

Once I found that intermittent fasting (12 hour stretches with no food) helped heal many aspects, not just one, I have never turned back. It's simple... if the body doesn't go prolonged periods of time having to eat upon its own fat reserves it becomes ever increasingly difficult for the metabolism to shift back and forth between making fuel of fat reserves and fuel from eaten proteins and glucose.

It wasn't the case at first, but I can go up to four days with no food now that I am practiced. I never ever get hungry, and my eating budget has corrected itself to being modest. The act of practicing fasting alone makes me so thankful for each and every meal... making what I end up choosing to eat healthier and more cleanly sourced... which creates a cycle of learning to live cleaner and healthier a closed loop system.

The human body is not meant to have a constant IV of food to fuel from... not grown adult bodies at the least.

Strict diets fail at high rates. Changing practices turns into habits. I keep it very simple, and thank the practice of fasting for never being ill and haven't even taken an aspirin in close to ten years outside of an E.R..

Fasting has caused me to gain weight. I had/have a fast metabolism, but through poverty issues and then bad eating habits I have been basically forced to fast from time to time.
My body seems to want to store everything possible now, and I lack general energy.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

Might be this:

Thrifty gene.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Yeah we definitely need to do more walking. His job is very active from what I understand. He works 13 hours a day for 7 days straight (he works for 7 days, then gets 7 days off). He's a supervisor where he works, so he doesn't really get any breaks and is on his feet the whole time. So when he gets home, he's usually too tired to really do anything. I can still go for walks by myself I suppose, but that's not as fun. lol Explained the way you did, it seems like the 12 hour fast would be doable, at least for me. I already drink a lot of water, so that's no biggie to trick myself into not feeling hungry. I really do want to cut out processed foods though.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   

That's pretty much what my bf's doctor said fasting does. It puts your body into starvation mode so it reserves all the calories that you do take in.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

It's all lifestyle changes. Little things here and there. A good start is to just cut out all sugary drinks, juice, soda beverages, sugar in your tea or coffee. I'm not sure how much of a 'drinker' you are, but I saved my special drinks and calories for beer and wine, and the rest of my liquids were... well water and black coffee. Once I weened off the sugar I haven't gone back since.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Oh, I don't drink alcohol at all (recovering alcoholic, been sober for five years). I mostly just drink water and sweet tea daily, and coffee every few days. Every now and then I will have a soda but not that often because I only have one kidney so that's really not good for me. I do eat a lot of sugary foods though, so that's going to have to be cut out. As I'm typing all this out, I'm starting to get hungry. lol

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

The mode that activates when going twelve hours plus is called ketosis. Once we hit our full size and metabolisms tail off in strength as we age naturally the need for a constant supply of food to sustain us tails off too. The hunter/gatherer DNA that was offered to us allows for up to 14 days without food. It would seem odd if cavemen woke up to a fully sustained diet... getting 3 meals a day processed for them.

We also suffer a food supply that has an unreasonable amount of ingredients. Go back just 50 years, and the food that people ate were the ingredients... they didn't doctor their food with preservatives.

I made it easier by skipping breakfast... most of the twelve hours gets tackled while I sleep.

I am not saying it is simple to do, as next to none of us as Americans at least are taught to manage our diets properly. Well, its sad but true that no other animal on the face of the Earth has obesity concerns that humans don't interject with their diet. What I am saying though, is that it is very important to practice ketosis.

Diet concerns aside, it is a huge health benefit for the body to be able to switch back and forth between food supplies. If we don't teach and learn for our bodies to switch back and forth for fuel sourcing, then the body's natural abilities to activate the eating of fat reserves dwindle away... leading to the need for medical assistance's to perform these tasks that are natural to us. That is what is going on with being diagnosed as pre-diabetic. The body is going on vacation, and is pushing for a permanent one, as the constant sugar consumption is telling the body that it will handle the insulin production instead.

Like I said prior... no matter what diet approach one takes, it needs to be steps of slow nature, and something that is wanted and not something that is being done out of necessity. I hope that you and your loved one(s) find the 'want' to find cleaner and healthier dieting paths...

edit on 23-10-2018 by ttobban because: spelling

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I endorse quality vs. quantity always...

A handful of wild flowers eaten is enough fuel to keep me fueled for three days if need be. It would take many dollar menu items, likely pounds of foreign substances, to achieve 1/5 of the energy provided by something clean and healthy.

If the body does not get the nutrients it needs and craves, the hunger symptoms will live fully. The body wants nutrients... not quantity.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join