It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Headless Chicken Monster Spotted in Southern Ocean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Just in time for Halloween, the "Headless Chicken Monster" has been filmed! It's not really a chicken, but rather a deep-sea cucumber Enypniastes, probably not something you want to chop up and put in a salad... It is amazing to see creatures such as this that have only been captured on film due to advances in technology- what other monsters of the deep will scientists discover?

GEEK SOURCE ARTICLE

Thanks to new underwater camera technology, the elusive “headless chicken monster” has, for the first time, been captured on film in the Southern Ocean. The unusual creature—technically a deep-sea sea cucumber (Enypniastes eximia)—was previously recorded last year in the Gulf of Mexico, a long way from east Antarctica. Developed by the Australian Antarctic Division in partnership with the commercial longline fishing industry, the cameras assist in fisheries management. “All around the Antarctic, there are areas known as ‘vulnerable marine ecosystems,'” fisheries technician Tim Lamb explained. “And we’re trying to find them so that the fishing industry can avoid fishing on them.” The video equipment, deployed on fishing gear to depths up to 1.8 miles, feed data to the Commision for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR), which manages the Southern Ocean.

edit on 10222018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

probably not something you want to chop up and put in a salad...

You wouldn’t like my salads...
But this is pretty neat, one more creature I didn’t know about, one new salad ingredient

S&F

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I’ve seen quite a few see cucumbers ( I always called them slugs ) that looked odd. But that one is bizarre .

It almost looks like a chicken that didn’t make it across the road .

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Amazing! Never heard of a sea cucumber that could be so mobile.
At a glance I’d have called it as a faulty cuttlefish.

Must look more into these Antarctic ‘vulnerable marine ecosystems’ - who knows what else is lurking in there never peeped by a human eye.

new topics

top topics

join