It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Anyone here been to Everest? Visited? Trekked? Climbed?
Anyone live in the area? Foothills?
I'd love to chat!

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Include proficient climbers in general. Should be interesting to listen in on. Marked to follow later.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

No, but I routinely climb the counters to reach the top cabinets.

It's pretty much the same thing right?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Might contact Flyingclaydisk. He's done it all. Actual Ernest Hemingway here.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Just heard about "rainbow valley".

Additional bodies are located in "rainbow valley", an area below the summit strewn with corpses wearing brightly colored mountaineering apparel.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I would love to climb Everest - always been in my mind (with the realisation that if I tried it would not go well !
)
Still, will be good to follow this thread.

If you have not watched the 3 series of "Everest : Beyond the Limit" which follows Russel Brice's Himalayan Experience annual expeditions, it's well worth a watch... especially if you ever think that embarking on such an adventure is anything but incredibly difficult and dangerous.

edit on 22/10/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Yes, I've watched and read just about everything out there on Everest. I am obsessed with it, always have been.
I have a five-year plan to summit. Well... getting close to a 4-year plan now!
At my day-job I communicate with many people from India, a lot of which live near the foot-hills. The general attitude they have with me is that I'm crazy. I need to get there.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl
Yes, I've watched and read just about everything out there on Everest. I am obsessed with it, always have been.
At my day-job I communicate with many people from India, a lot of which live near the foot-hills. The general attitude they have with me is that I'm crazy. I need to get there.

Excellent. Good luck!
Do keep us informed on how the plan is going.
I guess the training and logistics are pretty tough.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I will

At this point I have my time-line and logistics worked out. Working on cost now and of course I train daily.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I will

At this point I have my time-line and logistics worked out. Working on cost now and of course I train daily.

If you achieve it, you'll be in a rare group...only about 5,000 people so far in human history.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I've heard it is a dump. Loads of people. Litter. Rip-off. No Yetis.

If you want to go and see some tall mountains, then there are plenty of amazing and unspoilt places. Where do I begin?

I have a member of staff whose family came from the Pakistan-side of Kashmir. Because of the tensions and conflict in the region tourists tend to stay away, but she says that if you want mountains, lakes, culture and more Kodak moments than you can handle, then that's where you should go. Interestingly, she says the Indian side is nicer.

That's on my bucket list. Everest ain't.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I do free climbing often and map caves but that climb is WAY out of my skill range at least as of now. I do hope to climb some of the greats in my life but I still need for hours under my belt.
Are you an experienced climber? And have you ever climbed in snowy weather?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

That range would be a great place to climb. They also some of the hardest peaks to reach also!

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

It's not really much about the history, culture, Kodak moments.
It's about pushing yourself, body and mind to do something that seems impossible...
Oh, and being on the highest point on the planet.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Yes and yes.
I train mercilessly.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

What do you mean IF ? lol

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

a reply to: UKTruth

What do you mean IF ? lol

Well, 4yrs is a long way off. I am sure you'll do it.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Have you tried the Appalachian Trail or the PNT first? These are hard slogs in your own back yard and serious physical tests before heading out on a Himalayan adventure.

There's nothing wrong with setting ultimate goals as long as you don't set the bar so high you'll end up falling short.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Yes, I get that. However, you can "push" yourself in other places that challenge the mind and the body. Sure, if you are incredibly fit and have the mental and physical stamina and the money, then give Everest a go, or alternatively do the same on another mountain that's less (er) crowded.

Here's quite an old article by Brain Blessed, who tried Everest three times

The highest point on earth is becoming the site for the lowest common denominator of human behaviour, said the actor Brian Blessed yesterday, after returning from his third unsuccessful attempt on Mount Everest. He bitterly recounted tales of climbers using vacant tents as toilets, stealing the provisions needed by other teams, and acting "like human lemmings" in their desire to reach Everest's 29,028-ft summit.

Like I say, try and succeed on a mountain less crowded.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 01:06 AM
link   

A lot of it is aspirational consumerism and marketing. If you buy climbing/running/hiking magazines you'll see what I mean or visit YT. They're selling status and idealism over the actual joys of getting out in affordable kit.

An Everest expedition is minimum £30k and averages £45k with the current rate circling 60% successful summits. Some of the costs can be off-set by doing it for charity as long as they have a big enough profile in the community or online.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join