It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't the ATS search function fixed yet? Google is NOT the answer.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   
This has been an on-going problem for a while. ATS needs it's OWN internal search function.

I have often wanted to search for old ATS threads or even past users I've had interactions with or some whom have been banned.

But the search function is TERRIBLE. This has been brought up many times. Why can't this be fixed??? No internal search?

Every time I try to search something specific to an ATS post or thread, it re-directs to Google. And Google doesn't know Wtf it's talking about! Not only that but I get logged OUT of ATS during the process.

The results are terrible with Google. I can't find lost posts, even if I know specific usernames of old, and possibly banned members!

This is terrible, and has been for a long time. Can we put this on the list of priorities, please? Cause the ATS search function is about 90% useless. Thanks!

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Are you using google by entering site:www.abovetopsecret.com (search term)? That usually renders pretty good results at least much better than the baked in search engine. Keep in mind ATS is a custom solution not your normal vbbs forum so plugging in a better search engine is not an easy thing.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

I just click on the magnifying glass icon and and start putting in key words. Once that's accomplished I click GO, and suddenly I'm on Google and things get difficult, all while I'm now logged out of ATS.

Is your experience different? Because that's a big key to this, if so.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

I just click on the magnifying glass icon and and start putting in key words. Once that's accomplished I click GO, and suddenly I'm on Google and things get difficult, all while I'm now logged out of ATS.

That doesn’t happen for me but 98% of the time I just ignore the forums search function and go to google and do the site search in the format I showed you and have much better results.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:28 AM
link   

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:52 AM
link   

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Anytime!

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   
it is not a technical choice it seems.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I agree with the OP. The Search function is horrible and has been for a long time.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Here’s an example of how I use google for ATS if I wanted to find the OP.

Best way I know of to search ATS without using the baked in lackluster search.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

I Googled it and Google said the answer is "Google".

I know what you mean though. If you know who the member is that you're looking for, go to their profile and see if the topic you're looking for is there.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Interesting I have wondered if this was just a glitch on my end, but apparently not. The search function reacted differently years ago as far as I remember. It is rather time consuming, hard to read and very inaccurate, but could probably be fixed, I will be patient.

As for searching other members, I use the Member search tool. That one is very efficient.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

If when I put a keyword in the ATS search, I'd even be ok with it directing me to Google if it gave that type of result. Still would rather an internal search function, but that would do.

Sad, we gotta use your method, but it appears to be effective.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

That's the same method I use and it works great.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

Yep. Years ago the ATS search function was fine. I have no idea what happened. It seems like this started when the website was completely re-formatted.

Coding issue I guess?

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   
If you're using out search when logged out, well... Don't.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Springer

Hey Springer! Here's the thing. I DO use it while logged in. The problem I'm having is that when I use it while logged in, it logs me OUT. Then it gives me terrible search results.
edit on 24-10-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   

That sounds like like you have an adblocker running or some other browser functions disabled. Additionally, it could also just be the browser you're using, Firefox, for example does not play nice with our code.

All I know is that the search works fine for me in Chrome with no blockers or features shut off.

Hope that helps man.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Springer

I use chrome on a cellphone. That's how I've had to do this for a while because I haven't been able to access the web from a pc or laptop in a long time.

Oh well tho. Looks like this won't be fixed, however! I'll live, lol. It's just a terrible search function is all. But it's not the end of the world, it's just something I thought I'd bring up.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Hiya mate, I'm not going to doubt what you've said. All I'm wondering is if you have a security suite? I've got Kaspersky and it has this anti-adware, banner blocking property. It's been a real PITA because it impeded log-ins to MMA sites where I used to post a lot. All of SB Nation is blocked to my log-ins and it's caused issues on other sites too. Thanks Kaspersky!!

You might have something like that buried in an application.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Hmm. Maybe. I don't doubt you cause you're an awesome MOD. I guess it's time I accept that this whole debacle is all my fault. I can do that. It just might take some time OK?? Much love.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join