It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80% Of Americans Think Political Correctness Is A National Problem

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Let me ask you this common sense question... Can you imagine how many wars and conflicts the world would be involved in if their wasn't any sense of political correctness? Let's face it, many dictators and world leaders are in their position for power and control. We see the same thing happening in the workplace. How much lack of consideration or concern come into play when people are promoted to positions where they have power and control?

If government leaders, political representatives, and civil organizations started spewing hate, name calling, and instigating division and separation, we certainly wouldn't have any sense of a civilized society.

Here's another question for you... Have you ever had a friend or an acquaintance who was extremely outspoken? They said things that got under your skin or surprised you when they uttered hateful and mean comments? If you're honest with yourself, you and I know we wouldn't consider them close friends and we would always be on guard. These are the type of people who start fights in bars or create arguments because they don't know when to keep their mouth shut. They simply create an atmosphere of friction and disrespect.

Not being political correct doesn't include being rude, disrespectful, mean and name calling. It's speaking one's perspective that goes against a false reality of an issue based upon true facts. Not being "politically correct" (as a government statesman) doesn't mean attacking someone's physical appearance or character. So trying to justify Trump's attacks on a person's character or spewing rhetoric and lies that have no basis in facts certainly doesn't fall into the category of being "Not Politically Correct."

An example when Trump has truly used his "Not Political Correctness" is his outspoken issues on trade and deporting immigrants who engage in violence and crime in this country. His outspoken perspective on the reality of these issues go against the unspoken truth on these problems. We can certainly do without his "Not Political Correctness" of disrespect, rude remarks and name calling. (He certainly doesn't like the same kind of remarks when it's directed at him). The President has a moral obligation to our young people to be a role model. The last thing we need is a President who projects bullying as an acceptable way to interact with people and government leaders. These are character traits used by dictators. Heaven knows we already have a huge bullying problem in our schools and on social networks today.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Being politically correct includes policing the thoughts and words of others. It's a form of intellectual cowardice, dogmatism and censorship. It certainly isn't a form of respect. It is a form of disrespect.
edit on 15-10-2018 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
80% Of Americans Think Political Correctness Is A National Problem

That means more people voted for the current president than we thought.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
One can call me any number of names...
And most would probably be at least close to the truth
Yet , never politically correct.
I speak my mind no matter what.
Dad always said
" Be yourself. Say what you mean and mean what you say"
And I do.
Amazing how much respect you get from folks when the smoke clears
I love the smell of truth in the morning.Smells like victory.

I was taught the same thing, some people like it when you speak what is on your mind and some people don't, to them I say don't ask for my thoughts and opinions if you are going to be upset if they aren't what you want to hear .
PC means that sooner or later someone is going to get offended,
Political correctness = Moral bankruptcy

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: muzzleflash

That's what I mean by saying they're in the position to make the rest of us care whether or not we want to.

It's sad because most of us hate it, and that's all of most of us, not just this or that group of most of us.

But think of how we send these people the wrong messages as a response.

We not only comply with these demands, we refuse to offer support to the few who do stand up against the system. People get alienated and isolated easily and then are easy prey for the vultures that want to ravage the lone dissenter.

Also we make the huge mistake of continually giving our hard earned money to these people so since their portfolio continues to increase in value and their bottom line goes up - they are being taught that their attitudes are not only the 'right thing to do' but are also extremely profitable to promote and maintain.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: NiNjABackflip
a reply to: WeRpeons

Being politically correct includes policing the thoughts and words of others. It's a form of intellectual cowardice, dogmatism and censorship. It certainly isn't a form of respect. It is a form of disrespect.

The totalitarians couldn't remove the 1st amendment by vote so the media tooled shaming over years is used instead.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The static1 link is rather fantastic. Thanks for that. I"ve been speaking about the tribalism thing in the US for months now and it seems no one takes any notice. I've been reading through that report and even downloaded it and saved it for future reference. I even found a place for myself in the article.

In particular, we find, among the seven tribes, an “Exhausted Majority,” whose members do not conform to either partisan ideology. The Exhausted Majority contains distinct groups of people with varying degrees of political understanding and activism. But they share a sense of fatigue with our polarized national conversation, a willingness to be flexible in their political viewpoints, and a lack of voice in the national conversation

I haven't made it through the entire article and am wondering if they address an issue I find myself more and more beset with, i.e., I am finding it ever more difficult to identify as a US American. When I see as I did today, that one airline has had to take drastic measures to dramatically reduce the number of people trying to board airplanes with "emotional support animals", I find myself wondering how it came to be that I even live in, much less could chose to identify with the same nationality, a country so full of mentally and emotionally disturbed individuals that such measures have to be taken. Last week a woman tried to board an airline with an emotional support squirrel.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

80% of people think it's a problem, but because of the way the people who enforce it are placed, they are in a position to create the illusion that the 80% is the minority.

Tell the BIG LIE often enough and it becomes the truth.

People go along to get along because they don't realize they aren't actually isolated. We've become so divided into our little tribes that we can't actually talk because we're told we can't and PC-speak creates a narrative and language that stunts our ability to have that actual conversation on the topic. The speech codes are enforced.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It’s not political correctness that’s the problem; it’s how people use it.

Political correctness at its core is a great way to get rid of legitimate problems within a society that are easily agreed upon by most people. Systemic racism and overall discrimination are great examples of it working.

The problem is, just like guns for instance...the people who use it as a weapon. Or as an excuse. Of a political ploy. If used appropriately than it’s a great tool to better humanity. The question is though....who’s opinion on what is appropriate political correctness is the most correct.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I personally am extremely mindful and careful about what I say most of the time. When in the company of friends privately, I am more relaxed.

This frustrates me greatly and causes a bit of stress.

I don't mind being nice to everyone usually, but sometimes I feel like what needs to be said isn't worth all the trouble and misunderstanding that would ensue.

I feel like often times to say what really needs to be said you have to commit to it and go all in, for better or worse, and are risking your entire reputation on just a few words. This is insane.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Political Correctness is the 1st step of taking away Free speech .

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Sometimes, in order to have the conversations that need to be had and say things that need to be said, truth has be spoken by all involved, and it can hurt.

But PC seeks to remove all the hurt.

So PC and truth are incompatible. To live PC, we must live a life of lies.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It is getting out of control. These days, due to social media, everyone now has a platform to express their opinion, no matter how wrong or stupid.

Everyone has to try and highlight something offensive just to get a bit of attention for themselves.

Size 18 clothing costs more than size 12? Screams of fat shaming, boycott the shop, big is beautiful etc

A picture promoting a brand showing a group of people that doesn't have an equal mix of gender and race? Screams of racism, sexism, boycotts, oppression etc.

Some people just look for something to be offended about.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Got to say there appears to be quite a bit of 'splitting hairs' in this thread.
And a slight element of over analysis in order to look informed, aware and / or educated.

My only issue is that I'd say Political Correctness is an international problem.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join