It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British mountain biker shot dead by hunter in French Alps

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

We have the same problem in the UK. Hunting and recreational areas can't be separated, particularly where hunting is largely culling to prevent overpopulation, starvation and suffering.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
a reply to: Lagomorphe

I'm having a lapse of comprehension - could you please clarify what you mean by "get to know your...security"?

Security meaning what measures to take to avoid accidents during hunting.

Over here in France part of obtaining a hunting license also includes an obligatory day consecrated to security.

It takes about a year to study over here before passing the final exam to obtain a hunting license.

Warmest regards

Lags

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
It is said that he was using well travelled paths and also that the French Prosecution are looking at "aggravated shooting" not quite sure what that means but doesn't sound good. The hunter aged 22 is in hospital with severe shock apparently

Here is what we know. The shooter was 22 and from the UK. Not to sound like a prick, but I live an hour north of Pittsburgh PA in hunting country. I see this kind of stuff every year during hunting season where a city slicker decides to try being an out doorsman. They pass the hunters safety test, which isn't hard to do if you have some intelligence to learn. They get their hunting license, buy a rifle and they most likely step in the woods for the first time in their life with intention of being a great hunter.

The victim was from th UK , The hunter was French.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 01:12 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: gambon

www.thesun.co.uk...

If this turns out to be true (I always take the Sun with a pinch of salt for sensationalist stories) then Karma did a great turn on getting rid of this person.

Something that niggles me is the fact that at the end of the story they talk about the guy being killed with a Kalachnikov bullet...

It might be a 7.62 bullet that killed him but Kalachnikovs are totally banned for hunting over here in France (even modified ones)

Warmest regards

Lags

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: gambon

Golly gosh. How unBritish. No wonder he fled the country.

THE Brit cyclist killed by a French hunter deserved to be shot like an animal, his sister said last night.
. . .
sister Katie Toghill, 32, says he did her family a favour by killing Sutton, who she claimed repeatedly raped and beat her when they were kids.

Sutton fled abroad after he was confronted years later by Katie and their mum Katrina, who last night branded her dead son a “monster”.
www.thesun.co.uk...

When I heard he had been killed I felt utter relief

I'm going to stop complaining about my brother. He's an angel in comparison.
edit on 17 10 2018 by Kester because: (no reason given)

He kicked me, put hands round my neck, held screwdrivers and knives to my neck and threatened to kill me.

But he's got dreads and a piercing! He must be cool!
(Watch out for this type, ladies. Fashionable, well-travelled, utterly selfish.)

He began dating a girl, Ann-Marie . . . Ann-Marie, 33, of Caerphilly, yesterday told The Sun she “cried with relief” after hearing he had been killed.

If The Scum made this up they did a good job. More inventive than Hillsborough.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

As I said earlier on, I always take the “Scum” gutter press with a pinch of salt.

But... If true then well deserved to the Bastard and I hope victims and survivors find relief now.

If not true then deep deep shame on those who attack the people who can’t answer back.

Warmest regards

Lags

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

What a mess.

All support to the sister.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

As I said earlier on, I always take the “Scum” gutter press with a pinch of salt.

But... If true then well deserved to the Bastard and I hope victims and survivors find relief now.

If not true then deep deep shame on those who attack the people who can’t answer back.

Warmest regards

Lags

Quoting myself : A couple of anonymous sources in that Sun article so best that we find out from a news media that is not dedicated to selling sensationalist stories just to make cash no?

“He was a rapist c*** and I’m glad he’s dead,” the woman, who remains anonymous, told The Sun.

Link again : www.news.com.au... dea03fb0118d92

I feel bad for the poor lad that fired that rifle and is in shock right now.

Warmest regards

Lags

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
a reply to: Lagomorphe

I'm having a lapse of comprehension - could you please clarify what you mean by "get to know your...security"?

Security meaning what measures to take to avoid accidents during hunting.

Over here in France part of obtaining a hunting license also includes an obligatory day consecrated to security.

It takes about a year to study over here before passing the final exam to obtain a hunting license.

Warmest regards

Lags

Yeah I've cycled around France and used to live in Indre et Loire - I'm strongy anti-gun and anti-hunting but a ban makes no sense here. People make a huge effort to put up warning signs 'arette...' In six years of living in the sticks only heard one shot fired out of season and a bit too close for comfort.

It's a huge part of rural life and unfortunately needed to keep boars and deer under control but France is a fantastic example of gun safety/avoiding accidents/respect for firearms.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Wherabouts in the Indre et Loire?

I live right next to Chenoceaux and Amboise.

President of our local hunting syndicate too...

Warmest

Lags

edit on 17-10-2018 by Lagomorphe because: I'm crap

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Bloody hell, he was a bad 'un! A loose bullet guided by poetic justice and forged by retribution.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Warmest regards

Lags

Quoting myself : A couple of anonymous sources in that Sun article so best that we find out from a news media that is not dedicated to selling sensationalist stories just to make cash no?

“He was a rapist c*** and I’m glad he’s dead,” the woman, who remains anonymous, told The Sun.

Link again : www.news.com.au... dea03fb0118d92

I feel bad for the poor lad that fired that rifle and is in shock right now.

Warmest regards

Lags

Brit rapist biker shot dead by French hunter tried to stab child with knife in nursery when he was just FOUR, his mother reveals
Along with the rape allegations, there are also these:

In fact his Sutton's mum, Katrina Toghill, 56, claimed he was violent even as a small boy.

She said: “At four, three days after starting school, I was told to take him away and not bring him back.

“He tried to stab another kid with a dinner knife.

“He was arrested at 11 for threatening another child with a knife."

“It was a shame he died so quickly, I would’ve liked to have taken the lead out of him slowly and known he was lying there dying. He deserved to be tortured to death.”

It's alleged that he fled England after being confronted with rape accusations by his mother and sister after his sister finally told his mother.

Regarding hunting, though...

Rifles are for shooting at longer distances than the typical handgun or shotgun and generally are still lethal at 500 yards or more (even a .22 long rifle, if it hits). Ballistic arcs destroy any accuracy and considerably increase lethal range of shotgun slugs, rifles, and even handguns - which is why you should never shoot into the air (other than bird shot). It is not that rare that a rifle bullet inadvertently strikes something or someone many hundreds of feet past the target. As with any gun, you absolutely need a safe backstop for a rifle - and that means the ground. If the path of your shot is not very quickly striking the ground after your target, then you are not using a rifle safely.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 10:54 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 22 2022 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Testing again, Sorry!
edit on 00720222022Wed, 22 Jun 2022 18:10:57 -05002022202230 by booroot because: test

posted on Jun, 25 2022 @ 10:56 AM
link   
You would be correct to assume it’s the responsibility of the gun owner to be responsible for the gun. Just as a driver is responsible for the movement of the car.

In this case the young inexperienced hunter made a fatal mistake that costed a life. Just like inexperienced mountain bikers can do as well.

The problem here isn’t the activity, the location of the activity or even the tools used to conduct the activity but a lack understanding of how to conduct the activity.

Tragic but just like other tragedies no new laws or actions are required because this event is already fully encompassed by the law.

Negligence leading to death, manslaughter. Tools, locations , activity don’t matter.

How the heck did I end up in this 5 year old thread I thought this was current lol

a reply to: Kandinsky

edit on 25-6-2022 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join