It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mandela Effect that is bugging me out today

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: galaga

Ah happens. I wouldn't worry about it, plenty have come from a place were Mandela was both dead and alive, and some from were Mandela was a popular rock star. Not like it matters, a few have shifted here from a place with no moon as well, then they look up at the sky and are like. "WTF is that thing?" The strangest ones so far being the Mac and Cheese people. Of which they have been banned to another dimension.

But you know what? Whatever!

# happens you know. Now return to your daily scheduled programing.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Do the melody for "a beautiful day in this neighborhood",

as the melody "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" in your head

You'll probably trigger your right hemisphere's memory of the correct version.

(We have brains made of 99.99% the same genetic material, thus we make the same memory mistakes.)

It's really about the song melody. If you make your brain hear it with the right note order, it will show you that you've been tricking yourself into believing the false version.

Also remember to tag on the ending in your recall:
A beautiful day for a neighbor. Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
edit on 15-10-2018 by Archivalist because: meh

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
The ME has always been interesting to me. I remember a beautiful day in THE neighborhood and mirror mirror on the wall.

My gfs last name is Bernstein and says she remembers the Berenstein bears because she was made fun of as a child for her last name being similar to the bears.

It's hard to chalk it all up to faulty memory when there is good reason, such as hers, to remember it the way she does....

I'll sit on the fence like usual.

A2D

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Just an interesting side note that was posed to me about this particular ME. Scroll to 3:33 on the video below of the (supposed) Congressional Record talking about Mr Fred Rogers (Center columne, highlighted).

edit on 10/15/2018 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I have a long and significant story I won’t go into completely, but dilemma was always dilemna to me. Short version is that I got sent to the principal once for getting mad after a spelling test where I got it wrong and told my teacher that was “stupid” to mark wrong because the spelling (dilemna) was stupid. It’s one of two times I ever went to the principal ever—and I was a straight A honor student through graduation.

What I also find interesting is most “ME” people are affected or effected by ALL ME(s). This actually lends a lot of credence to the multiple timeline idea. I mean... I don’t understand why non-ME people get so highly offended. The multiverse concept is a QP idea... not witchcraft or voodoo. And they will talk about how memory “works” but we really don’t know everything about how the brain works and therefore, cannot know everything about how memory works. Thus, if there “are” multiverses, how do we know that all of our “me(s)” don’t have a central memory that is shared and sometimes overlaps?

In any case, it’s not like we are on Science Digest trying to prove all this. It’s s conspiracy site in Skunkworks for Heaven’s sake. I personally think even considering the possibilities from a purely creative aspect, is one of the things that makes life interesting!

a reply to: Baddogma

edit on 15-10-2018 by nicevillegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyAnonymous
Just an interesting side note that was posed to me about this particular ME. Scroll to 3:33 on the video below of the (supposed) Congressional Record talking about Mr Fred Rogers (Center columne, highlighted).

Alright, I'll maintain that this has some convincing evidence.

That congressional record DOES show "the neighborhood" in 2003.
If the congressional stenographer typed it down, that's what they said. I would hope a congressman or representative would know the lyrics to such a prolific show.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: nicevillegrl

Interesting.

Yes, I have similar neural networked, repeated memories associated with that word.. .it was always a "favorite" word due to it's sound and weirdness in it's spelling. I, too, remember being happy it was on a high school vocabulary test as it was well known to me. When I say it out loud it's always "dih-lem-Na" as a too-precious joke... that's now utterly meaningless.

My stupid dictionary from grade-school has that word underlined with a note saying "silent" ...but now it has two "m"s and the notation is meaningless, too.

That one, in particular, has me taking this "phenomena" quite seriously. I'm not sure of much, and really, brand-names and logos haven't captured my full attention, but dammit, dilemna will always be correctly spelled with a silent "n" ... and I miss that slightly more elegant world.

IF we actually travel around the proposed many-worlds I rather dread the world I may wake to, next. This one is pretty stupid!

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I feel like the other poster, this probably isn't a true ME, it's simply that the episode/episodes that say "this" instead of "the" were changed, because there's 100% definitive proof that it was "the" at some point in time. My grandma made me a pillow when I was a kid, and she stitched that tagline into the pillow, "it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood". It definitely says "the". My parents recorded the show multiple times, it definitely says the. I'm sure that somewhere on Youtube there are recordings of the show that prove it as well.
I think we can chalk this one up to, they changed the lyrics at some point.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: narrator
I feel like the other poster, this probably isn't a true ME, it's simply that the episode/episodes that say "this" instead of "the" were changed, because there's 100% definitive proof that it was "the" at some point in time. My grandma made me a pillow when I was a kid, and she stitched that tagline into the pillow, "it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood". It definitely says "the". My parents recorded the show multiple times, it definitely says the. I'm sure that somewhere on Youtube there are recordings of the show that prove it as well.
I think we can chalk this one up to, they changed the lyrics at some point.

No dude. The song says "this" everytime.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

The "mirror mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all" gets me.

Magic mirror?

That's simply because so many OTHER people have said "mirror mirror" in the decades since the film came out.

But there's a good reason for it. The explanation for the incorrect version is likely because the original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale had it as "Mirror Mirror" (translated from German to English).

So it is BOTH "Magic Miiror" and "Mirror Mirror" depending on the source; the incorrect version is only incorrect as a film quote.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist
If you knew exactly why the Mandela Effect occurred, you couldn't tell anyone anyway. No one would believe you.

As a random ponderance. Sinbad as a genie, is one of the most popular Mandela Effect incidents.

Ever see a photograph of Sinbad?

I'll leave it at that. Anyone that studies their theoretical physics or astrophysics will immediately see what I mean.

I don't see what you mean could you explain what Sinbad's looks has to do with theoretical physics or astrophysics?

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: nicevillegrl

I mean... I don’t understand why non-ME people get so highly offended.

That is something to ponder in and of itself.

I have wondered ever since the ME became a 'thing' why it triggers so much anger from those that haven't experienced it. It has always seemed very odd to me that these deniers get so overly insulting and vitriolic.

In past posts on this subject, there are always two or three posters that practically live on the thread and constantly post one insult after another to anyone that participates and especially if they have strong valid reasons for their memories.

Weird....the anger.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I have wondered ever since the ME became a 'thing' why it triggers so much anger from those that haven't experienced it.

I bet everyone has experienced the phenomenon known as the Mandela Effect; it's a real thing.

However, the question is this: Is this phenomenon due to changes in reality/the timeline, or is it just a function of human memory NOT being a perfect recording of the past, plus the fact that our memories can be shaped by popular culture around us, and altered by subsequent input after the original memory was formed.

What bothers me is that when I present this explanation about imperfect human memory, imperfect human perception -- and/or the related explanation that incorrect infomation can get so entrenched into poular culture that they become "pseudo-facts" -- some people get so insulted by that possible explanbation and shout things back at me such as "don't call me stupid! I know what I remember!!"

...[and, by the way, I never called them stupid, just "normal humans"]

It's as if they completely reject the (IMHO, very plausible) explanation that human memory and human perception are not perfect and can be shaped by other subsequent input and by culture.

edit on 15/10/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
**double post.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

"This" sounds like "the".

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I would agree with that on the basic level. Everybody has some faulty memories.

Nobody knows exactly what is causing the phenomenon, and the fact that some of the memories being discussed are indeed merely faulty memories has muddied the waters a bit.

A true ME is different in ways that are hard to verbalize.

Take the "dilemna vs dilemma" example. Ponder that word for a moment, then ask yourself why so many people remember it with a silent 'n'. That is not faulty memory. It is too insignificant a word for the 'n memory' to be so widespread and with so much certainty regarding that specific word.

The anger is what intrigues me.

A poster above has personal anecdotal stories of learning to spell the word. She had a school experience involving the word, so her memory of it would be different than just a faulty memory of how the word is spelled.

For someone to insist that she merely has a faulty memory is insulting. If she were the only one that remembered the n-spelling, you would have a legitimate argument. But, she is not.

Intelligent people realize something is peculiar and some throw out imaginative explanations to explain it. I think these explanations trigger certain people to react with mockery and anger.

We are all just looking for answers to a phenomenon.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
i am wondering if its something like the movie the one.where were all connected to our other selves in the multiverse and when we die in one our energy is tranfered to the remaining one and it affects our memories.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Take the "dilemna vs dilemma" example. Ponder that word for a moment, then ask yourself why so many people remember it with a silent 'n'. That is not faulty memory. It is too insignificant a word for the 'n memory' to be so widespread and with so much certainty regarding that specific word.

As I said, it's not always faulty memory, but sometimes due to incorrect information becoming so entrenched in culture that they become pseudo-facts -- albeit still incorrect facts.

In the case of "dilemna vs. dilemma", the reason some people think it is spelled "dilemma" is NOT always due to faulty memory, but rather that some of them were incorrectly taught that in school. So they remember it fine, they were just taught the wrong thing. Others might think it is "dilemna" because those people who were taught incorrectly might be unwittingly spreading the mistaken speeling around.

The question then becomes "why was it ever taught as 'dilemna' in the first place?" Maybe there was once in the past an example of the word "dilemna" being used in popular culture, and the mistaken spelling took off from there, including in the minds of some teachers who then repeat the same mistaken spelling to the next generation of people.

A better explanation among word etymologists is that the incorrect spelling is a hypercorrection. There are other words in the English language such as hymn and autumn that employ the silent n, and perhaps enough teachers (who are NOT always perfect fountains of knowledge) erroneously make the assumption that dilemma is similar, and the mistaken spelling snowballs from there.

Consider the similar situation of the erroneous plural spelling "octopi". That word is taught by teachers in school as the correct pluralization of octopus because (in their minds) the common way to pluralize a Latin word is to end it with the "--i", such as the plural of the Latin-derived words "Fungus" and "Focus" are "Fungi" and "Foci".

And that makes logical sense, except....

...The only problem with that logic is that "Octopus" is not a Latin-derived word, but actually comes from Greek, and thus the proper pluralization of the word is "octopuses".

However, proper or not, that does not keep some (many?) teachers from hypercorrecting and continuing to be ignorant of the way octopus should be pluralized, and they continue to teach it incorrectly as "octopi" due to that hypercorrection -- and possibly due to the fact they were taught that way (which was perhaps also due to hypercorrection).

Perhaps something similar is happeneing with "dilemma". Most words with a silent n are derived from Latin -- such as hymn from the Latin hymnus, Autumn from the Latin Autumnus, and solemn from the Latin sollemnus. Dilemma is originally from the Greek (although later borrowed by the Latins) and comes from the Greek "di" and "lemma".

So, yeah -- I can see a similar hypercorrection happening with "dilemna vs. dilemma". It seems plausible.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I just want to present another Mandela Effect that happened to a friend and me years and years ago. Before, the Mandela Effect was even "A THING"

I distinctly recall, hearing that John Amos (The Actor) had died. It was ON THE RADIO. Probably, in around 1988. When, I heard it I thought, well that the show was prophetic in a sense, cause his character died, that in the mid or late 1970s. Years later, my friend and me both talked about this and he had the same memory of hearing that John Amos the actor had died. Included in the Radio Report was when he left the show Good Times. I remember this. Faulty memory? I think not. My friend recalled hearing it. Unless, the Radio Show made this huge mistake?

The other Mandela Effect that has me puzzled is this. If you grew up in the 1970s, you will recall the game "Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots". I had one when I was a kid. The line that has changed is "HEY! YOU KNOCKED MY BLOCK OFF"!
Its now the VERY awkward "My block is knocked off"

See a Video posted way back in 2010, before people really started talking about it. Someone posted the commercial with the Phrase I recall in the TITLE. The commerical though, doesn't have the Captioned Phrase

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

define secret

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join