It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the aliens have a "Wright Brothers"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
What do you think the origins of alien flight were like? We see the images of the ufo's and think about how technologically advanced they are to us, but at some point, they must have had a begining right? Do you think they approached it in a similiar fashion as we did? Did it start off with kites and balloons to gliders to the first aeroplane?

If they did use some of the same tactics we used, I think that really says something to the similiarities that we most likely share with them. To the type of living consitions they may have come from. To the recources they may have had. There is a natural progression to things of a mechanical nature. Especially flight. it's not like they just decided to make a flying machine one day that could travel across the univers. They had to start with something.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Interesting idea... But what if they never even "flew" normally? Suppose they developed a way of warping time/space, prior to even thinking about flight? Sound weird? Maybe... But what if they never had birds or insects on their planet.... Would they have even considered flight at all? Perhaps they came up with a warping technology before cars, and simply warped from place to place?

There are so many possibilities, and unknown variables...it'd all be pure speculation....

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This is a really interesting point.

If Aliens took the trial and error approach to inter planetery/stellar/dimensional/whatever travel as we did to flyng then the early results must have been fascinating.
Of course the consequences of something like this going wrong could be disatrous. I mean Philadelphia experiment disaster

Perhaps this is why our Govts keep this stuff a secret. Because of the unusual and highly disturbing results that attempting this kind of thing is bound to cause.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
it is interesting to think about, especially if you entertain the thought that aliens are just us from the future, then yeah there would have been a natural progression of flight

But if aliens are as complex and intelligent as I think they could be, then I would probably go with Gaz's theory that they might have completely skipped all those steps and just figured out a way how to do things right the first time.

thinking about it a bit more, you have to wonder what if we have been witness to their progression, started with saucers, then triangles, then cylinders, then lights and perhaps now invisible stealth crafts that we don't even see.....hmmmmm

[edit on 2-24-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Its hard to say what they started out with. Its very possible that they have hundreds of millions if not billions of years beyond our own flight technology.

Its highly likely that they started out with crude machines early on in their civilization. Perhaps their planet was one that had a different atmosphere that made it harder for flight. That atmospheric obstacle could have made them push even harder for more powerful ways of mastering their skies.

I find it amazing how far we've come in such a short amount of time. Imagine what kind of aircraft we'll have in 200+ years.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Interesting idea... But what if they never even "flew" normally? Suppose they developed a way of warping time/space, prior to even thinking about flight? Sound weird? Maybe... But what if they never had birds or insects on their planet.... Would they have even considered flight at all? Perhaps they came up with a warping technology before cars, and simply warped from place to place?

There are so many possibilities, and unknown variables...it'd all be pure speculation....

I had thought about that too...I mean, the main reason we humans thought flight was possible is because we had birds to watch and learn from. Without birds to use as a reference for the principles of flight, who knows what avenue of travel we might have gone in. If they advanced in tech over "X" amount of years and never attempted flight until the height of thier tech age, then I guess it's possible that many of the steps we went thru could have been skipped.

[edit on 24-2-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake

Originally posted by Gazrok

I had thought about that too...I mean, the main reason we humans thought flight was possible is because we had birds to watch and learn from. Without birds to use as a reference for the principles of flight, who knows what avenue of travel we might have gone in. If they advanced in tech over "X" amount of years and never attempted flight until the height of thier tech age, then I guess it's possible that many of the steps we went thru could have been skipped.

[edit on 24-2-2005 by mpeake]

Ah, very true about the observation of birds. I hadn't thought about that. We had some sort of model to guide us. What could other civilizations have? At this point, thats just unknowable. However, it is fun to speculate.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Two brothers. Last name 'Frisbee'.

The Frisbees. From Planet Wham-O.

(Sorry, MPeak- its a great thread but I couldn't help it!)

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
it is interesting to think about, especially if you entertain the thought that aliens are just us from the future, then yeah there would have been a natural progression of flight

But if aliens are as complex and intelligent as I think they could be, then I would probably go with Gaz's theory that they might have completely skipped all those steps and just figured out a way how to do things right the first time.

thinking about it a bit more, you have to wonder what if we have been witness to their progression, started with saucers, then triangles, then cylinders, then lights and perhaps now invisible stealth crafts that we don't even see.....hmmmmm

[edit on 2-24-2005 by worldwatcher]

Very interesting point. You make a lot of sense here but fail to consider gravity. This alone is enough to inspire flght. The ability to defy gravity has advantages that any civilization would be foolish not to take advantage of even purely for recreation.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well, if the Theory of Evolution is correct, then yes may-be they did start out as we did,In my opinion It all relies on their surrondings, and whatever choices these complex beings made along the way!

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Interstellar travellers probably have a Richard Pearse to go with their Wright Brothers doppelgangers too.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
i guess it depends on the planet they live on.

if the air was too thin then flight as we know it would be out of th question.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Its difficult to say what a truly alien intelligence would be like. Its entirely possible that they could exist as something that does not learn, does not design or consider, but merely builds, like bees instinctively build their complex and intracate hives.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
somewhat related: Astronomy, Oct92, Vol. 20 Issue 10, p40, 6p (you might have to go to the library, it's not online). Title: "life on a metal poor earth".

A short speculative article about how the evolution of life would have progressed diferently on a planet without as much metal as the earth has...some choice quotes:

Of course, the supply of iron would be less available, as would other massive elements necessary for the production of oxygen-carrying hemoglobin and other components of living things. New Earth has a much higher fraction of rocks (siliconbased compounds) and fewer metallic ores. it is possible that complex life-forms may evolve using fewer metals in the molecular building blocks. But it remains unanswered whether these life-forms could evolve within the lifetime of a star like the Sun.

Simple life-forms appear throughout Old Earth's geological record, implying that forming life is relatively straightforward. More complex life-forms on Old Earth depend greatly upon heavy elements for bony structures and for complex molecules such as iron-rich hemoglobin. These life-forms didn't appear until fairly recently in history. But on New Earth, which doesn't have the benefit of an abundance of heavy elements, complex or sentient life-forms may take too long to evolve.

(new earth = a metal poor earth; old earth = our earth (metal rich))

and:

The low abundance of iron and the resulting lack of a planetary magnetic field might preclude the development of complex life-forms. But if advanced life-forms can develop before the Sun uses up its nuclear fuel and becomes a red giant, they will clearly be of a different sort than we find on our Earth. And the diminished quantitites of iron, nickel, copper, zinc, tin, silver, and gold will present inhabitants of New Earth an interesting challenge for the development of a technologically based civilization.

I don't have full text access to this but this article's also pretty similar, and I remember it being good (although I read it about 13 years ago):

Astronomy, May92, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p50, 6p. Title: "Life around a larger sun".

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
My other thought on this was one where the owners of the ufo's who seem to be visiting us may have had help in the design and building from another entity. Kind of like how we may have reversed engineered alot of the flying tech we have from downed ufo's here, except that perhaps they had actual direct teachers, instead of having to figure it out on thier own.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Excellent point of ponderance........you get my way above vote for an original thread that got me thinking.....

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I thought about this awhile ago. And I also thought how boring it would be to get that technologically advanced. I mean, it HAS to come to a certain point when you can learn no more as far as technology goes, right? It has to come to a point where you have maxed it all out. I guess they could always focus on different things to discover, it is a pretty big universe, after all. No matter what route they went to discover flight, there had to be some trial and error. I'm just curious as to how long ago they first invented flight...we've had it for about 100 years now...hard to imagine how advanced things we'll get in the next 100 or so years. Assuming we dont kill each other, first.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Or, think about this one....what if the aliens fly naturally...like what if they are a race of birds!

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
What if their Wright Brothers are our Wright Brothers? Is it possible that perhaps aliens are a very far future evolution of human beings? Maybe they were able to solve the questions that came with time and space travel. Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
we know how fast the greys are 39.4-39.5 light years in 91 days according to the first and I would say the best abduction report in 1968
heres the link www.ettracker.com...

why I say this is valid cause the woman drew a star chart that we could'nt see till 10 years later

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join