It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attempted citizen's arrest of Sheriff Scott Israel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Can a sherriff be arrested? I'm not talking about deputies but the sherriff voted in. I'm pretty sure they can arrest city cops if they need to

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

What was the crime?

IIRC BCSO has a deputy working for them that worked for/was associated with/is associated with CAIR, which is supposed to have ties to Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood.

Dude trying to make the arrest says that's treason yadda yadda
I.e. someone doesn’t like the department and went looking for dirt on them and that’s the best they could come up with....

ETA- Shamy YGPM

Not that there aren't reasons to dislike this sheriff but yeah that is pretty weak.

I’m not singing his praises I don’t know anything about the guy but I do know the attempt to citizen arrest him over such a flimsy pretext is laughable at best.

Israel is the Sheriff of Broward County that worked with the Broward County school board to go soft on students who displayed violent or delinquent behavior.

Here's a pretty decent summary of the whole tangled web.

I dunno why I just kind of assumed everyone here knew who Israel was.

It's very possible if they had done their job, Nicholas Cruz would've had red flags in the NICS and wouldn't have been able to legally purchase a gun.

Perhaps I’m reading it wrong but it sounds like all the guy did wrong was go along with a policy being pushed by people higher up than him so everyone got better funding, to claim he’s complicit to the crime is disingenuous IMO he was one of the lowest on the totem pole. Was what the school, local, and federal government right in there actions? I’d say no but to pin it on the sherif is missing the point IMO. Correct me if I’m missing something.

I'm not necessarily blaming the entire thing on him. He still went along with it. It wasn't like we're talking about kids that just yelled at a teacher or something. Some of these kids were committing assault and the school board was sweeping it under the rug to keep their record clean and get more federal money, and Israel knew about it. That's #ed up. They also had a ton of calls out to deal with Cruz and did nothing. One was a domestic violence call, which if they had pressed charges and he was convicted would've rendered him unable to pass a background check to purchase a gun.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420

Can a sherriff be arrested? I'm not talking about deputies but the sherriff voted in. I'm pretty sure they can arrest city cops if they need to

Yes they can be arrested. Here's a recent example.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Yes , as explained before , a citizen's arrest was meant for police officers as well
Checks and balances for the citizens

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

It might be different around the country but where I am, the Sheriff is the highest law enforcement in the county. The only person with the power to arrest the actual Sheriff is the coroner.

The story I've heard over the years (may be true, may not be but didn't see any worth in actually googling) is that this goes back to the "old West" when there was plenty of lawlessness going on and more often than not, the Sheriff was just as corrupt as the outlaws. The people had little to no recourse to have a sheriff arrested if he had committed a crime so they gave the coroner the power to arrest the Sheriff.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
I'm from the UK so can someone enlighten me because I thought the Sheriff was voted on by the community. Now if that's the case just vote him off.

In the US Sheriff's are elected officials. In some states the only person who can arrest a sitting Sheriff is the county coroner and from what I have seen its a state constitution caveat when the office of sheriff was codified.

In the large majority of US states, including Florida, any law enforcement officer can arrest a Sheriff for any law violation. The only goofy thing with Florida, and I cant find the info, is Sheriff's deputies cannot arrest their own sheriff. Like I said I cant find anything to confirm it so take that part with a grain of salt.

edit on 13-10-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Yes , as explained before , a citizen's arrest was meant for police officers as well
Checks and balances for the citizens

The ability of a citizen to make an arrest, while stemming from common law, is actually state specific. In most cases the crime must occur in the citizens presence. Felony level crimes are an exception in some states, who allow an arrest for a felony without a warrant by citizens.

The issue though is if you make an arrest as a private citizen and it turns out no crime was actually committed you wont be protected from civil or criminal liability (sued civilly and charged criminally with false arrest / kidnapping / false imprisonment / insert generics terms from other states here).

Each state has their own laws dealing with a citizens arrest and the legalities involved. The one area I have seen consistent from state to state is the use of deadly force to effect an arrest. Generally citizens are not empowered to use deadly force the same as law enforcement can. The citizen must comply with their states stand your ground / self defense laws for the use of deadly force.

It is different from state to state and as always people need to do their due diligence and know what the laws in their respective states say.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

What was the crime?

IIRC BCSO has a deputy working for them that worked for/was associated with/is associated with CAIR, which is supposed to have ties to Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood.

Dude trying to make the arrest says that's treason yadda yadda
I.e. someone doesn’t like the department and went looking for dirt on them and that’s the best they could come up with....

ETA- Shamy YGPM

Not that there aren't reasons to dislike this sheriff but yeah that is pretty weak.

I didint know ties to the Muslim brotherhood were a weak cause?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join