It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISS crew to make emergency landing after Soyuz rocket malfunctions during launch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:02 AM
link   
It would seem that some type of malfunction happened during takeoff. The Soyuz is bring the crew back right now.

Sorry but not much else about the incident is public or possible even known. I really hope those guys are going to be ok. My deepest thoughts go out to the crew.

RT

I will try to find a video of the launch and post it here.

youtube link
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

wasn't there some sabotage on the Soyuz lifeboat lately, some holes? Wonder if this one was sabotaged too...

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

Ya they found a hole on a Soyuz capsule as it was already docked to the ISS. It caused some depressurization on a small part of the ISS. I don’t think they concluded that it was done purposely.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   
They landed safely.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Muninn

OH thank god

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Makes one wonder if it was a real failure or if sabotage came into play given the previous Soyuz capsule was sabotaged.

Thankfully the crew is ok.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Not gunna lie, that did cross my mind. I sure hope not but I am no fan of coincidences.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Good to hear they got back down safely

What stands out to me is how 'clean' burning their rocket engines are in comparison to previous other nation's launches I've watched. What's the fuel they use?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

I wanna say RP-1 but chances are I’m wrong. Or it could be Hydrazine.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Or it could be Hydrazine. 

Isn't that the stuff that makes the frogs gay?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Oh hell yes it is! Those damn gay frogs are everywhere now.

Watch your back man they may sneak up on ya.
No offense to those that are PC(pansy’s).

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   
oh my god, you mean those russian rockets are also prone to mishaps?? it wasn't just our shuttles??
am I being too hopeful by suggesting that maybe this might prompt them to maybe take a new look at those shuttles and come out a with new improved, safer version and stop depending on russia for their rides in space???

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Oh hell yes it is! Those damn gay frogs are everywhere now.

Watch your back man they may sneak up on ya.
No offense to those that are PC(pansy’s).

Pepe and I have only a platonic relationship, I swear!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

There's no evidence either was sabotaged. Sometimes people accidentally drill holes in the wrong spot during construction and are missed.

If someone wanted to sabotage it they wouldnt have drilled a small hole. Plus where are the pressure tests on earth?

Please stop with the foaming at the mouth assumption of sabotage.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Imo the only reason they got rid of their own shuttles is because they have high tech that we don't know about and have no use for the old shuttles. With Soyuz they can at least keep up the guise of still needing to use conventional ships.
edit on 11-10-2018 by hombero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Being a real space buff, and watching most launches, I missed the action on this one.

Glad they made it safely home.

Speculation time. The Russian rocket uses 4 liquid boosters on the side of the first stage. I am not sure of the exact time these are jettisoned, but it is around 2:30 into flight. At just about that exact moment the camera is showing inside the craft, looking at the astronaut/cosmonaut. You can see them jerk wildly, about 6 times before the camera cuts back to external view.

That is not normal. A single thump as the boosters let go all at the same time is expected. Something went wrong with the booster separation.

Cutting back to the external view, we should have seen what is known as the Korolev Cross. The 4 boosters falling away, and the rocket in the center. Instead there looks to be more than 4 pieces. Possibly as many as 7 or 8 main ones, hard to tell from the video.

They report the emergency as a "booster failure" about 2:45 into the flight, about 15 seconds after the side booster separation.

To me, and this is all speculation, it seems there was a problem at the side booster separation. Possibly one did not detach fully, and was ripped apart. Main booster goes down within 15 seconds, meaning that pieces could have struck the center booster engine, causing it to fail.

The jerking/shudder we see inside could be from the main booster in it's death throws. Surging multiple times after being damaged, until it shut down fully.

Edit/Revision: After watching the video numerous times, something caught my eye. When the video cuts back to the outside view after separation of the side boosters, take a look at the booster on the right. Instead of falling away and tumbling, it looks like it is swinging back and forth wildly. Like maybe fuel hoses, or straps did not detach it all the way. So it was kind of dragging it along, swinging, possibly banging into the main engine which caused it's failure.

This would also explain the jerking we see inside. The hard side to side movements of a swinging part below the craft, creating sudden movements.
edit on 11-10-2018 by MrRCflying because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Makes one wonder if it was a real failure or if sabotage came into play given the previous Soyuz capsule was sabotaged.

Thankfully the crew is ok.

Where is your proof that the previous Soyuz capsule was sabotaged since you state that as a fact.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying

Seems plausible to me, also, when the boosters separate there is a big "cloud" of liquid and/or gasses expanding, much bigger than on the MS-09 launch but this can be due to atmospheric reasons other rockets also have this big cloud of gasses between stage separation, but still, did not see that on the previous launch, but looks like its to much, maybe the one booster ripping out one of the hoses and leaking out fuel or gasses into the atmosphere, about 10 seconds after the "flopping booster" on the side of the rocket, there is what seems to be a stream of gasses coming straight out from the right side of the rocket (or that is still the booster but showing its entire length towards us), that stream looks way to big for the reaction control system so maybe one of the boosters ripped out some of the plumbing in the center stage or ripped open a hole in the center stage where the failed explosive bolt where located.

Here is the MS-09 launch for comparison (look for the booster separation at 2:50), the gasses at booster separation with the MS-09 launch are volumetrically smaller than the rocket trail but on MS-10 the gasses are much bigger than the rocket trail:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JesperA

Yes, for sure there looks to be more gases after the booster jettison. It is hard to tell what is what, but the object on the top right seems solid to me, like one of the boosters. It might just be the angle, and the booster is falling away, but to me it sure looks like it is still tethered and swinging back and forth for quite a few seconds.

Not to mention, all the extra pieces, more than should be there.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
a reply to: dawnstar

Imo the only reason they got rid of their own shuttles is because they have high tech that we don't know about and have no use for the old shuttles. With Soyuz they can at least keep up the guise of still needing to use conventional ships.

I'm with you on the high tech thing. Totally difficult to believe with all the money and black programs and YEARS of secret research that they haven't come up with something better than these rockets from the 1960's.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join