It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terry Schiavo....Right to Die

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
baynews9.com...

Well, the Gestapo of state agencies, DCF in Florida, has now stepped in to prolong this woman's agony...

Jeez! Let the poor woman die!

I'm struggling to see how DCF even has any kind of jurisdiction in this case, or how this Gestapo agency can act in contradiction to a ruling by the State Supreme Court.

This is utter madness...this agency needs to get shut down...NOW!

At least Charlie (State Attorney General) has got the good sense to stay out of this one...

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Gazrok

How do you know she wants to die?

This is one of the toughest cases I've ever seen. On the one hand, her husband wants to remove the feeding tube because it's his opinion that she wouldn't want to live like this. On the other hand, her family is willing to take care of her.

Why doesn't the husband just walk away from it? It's sad, but if the feeding tube is removed, I just know that her mother will be tying to feed her some other way.

If it were my decision, I'd let the family care for her. Why not?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
How bout you get your facts straight. Go to infowars.com for the real info on this story, ALex Jones is talking about it right this moment live on gcn radio network. Evil person you are sir, killing an innocent woman.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I believe in the right-to-die notion, but since the woman never had it in writing that she would not want to go on living in a vegetative state, this whole right-to-die issue has been blown out of proportion. This is something we should all consider. The chances of someone coming out of a state like this is very slim.

Maybe we should all put it in writing because if it happened to us, would we want to make our loved ones suffer with the medical bills and endless need for care giving? It's a tough task to face. My cousin was born with brain damage and has never been without the need for care or doctor visits. He is 16 years old, has never spoken, but reacts to stimulation. This doesn't mean that my Aunt and Uncle do not love him. It's just been emotionally and financially hard on them.

I think that the parents of this woman have every right to take guardianship away from her husband, because in the end, she is their blood and they should have the final say. All we can do is watch and see how it ends.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If he wants her to die, and refuses to divorce her and give custody to the parents, who want her to live, then he should take her out behind the hospital and put a bullet in her head. Instead he wants to starve her to death. How the heck can that be legal? If you're going to remove her feeding tube, then give her a lethal injection or something, don't make her suffer for 7 to 10 days before she passes. Gaz, if you think she's already in agony, why do you support putting her through increasing agony for a longer time?

Also, this case opens doors, if she's allowed to die, to other unwanted people with diseases. Ah, stephan Hawking is becoming a pest on my life, I have to keep changing his batteries and feeding him. I think I'll just stop feeding him. Hawking can talk, but what about others who can't and never filled out a living will?

Finally, this is a case of he said she said. The family says she'd want to live, the husband that she'd want to die. Shouldn't the courts judge on the side of caution when there is no factual evidence? You can't take back killing someone. Governers can grant a stay of execution with criminals, but apparently when a husband wants to kill his wife in a court sanctioned execution, they cannot.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
The family says she'd want to live, the husband that she'd want to die.

I'll play devil's advocate here: how do we (or her doctors, or the courts) know for sure that the husband isn't trying to carry out her spoken wishes, whereas her parents just don't want to let her go? I've been with my husband for nearly 15 years; he knows me *far* better than my mother ever has or ever will, and knows exactly how I would feel about spending the rest of my life in a permanent vegetative state.

Personally, I think forcing this woman to starve to death is barbaric. It would be a completely different situation if she was dependent on a ventilator, etc. If the husband wants to get on with his life, fine; let her parents care for her, as they've requested. But we as a society have no right to murder her.

Bottom line: write out a living will, and make sure several people know where to find it.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
As I understand this, the husband is adament about the fact that she never wanted to live this way, even though it isnt written anywhere. If this guy didnt care, he could wash his hands of all of this and just walk away. It would be a great deal easier. But because of that fact, I am convinced he is telling the truth. I believe him and he really wants her wishes to be met.

Look at this objectivly now, the husband has lived with this for over a decade. Its took him years to accept that in order for her to "live", it will be artificially. Knowing that she doesnt want to live that way, he wants to respect her wishes and let her go. But her family cant accept that. They are thinking with thier hearts and hearts alone and totally overlooking the fact that the husband may be 100% correct representing thier daughters wishes.

As difficult as this situation is, I am siding with the husband. He has taken the most difficult path here for a reason, its because he's right. I actually commend him for it, it would be real easy just to walk away and forget it.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Interesting article on this case
The 'lost Lesson' in the Florida Right-to-Die Case: the Dangers of Eating Disorders

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Before she was the severely brain-damaged patient at the center of a legal dispute over whether she should live or die, Terri Schiavo was a young woman who desperately wanted to be thin.
At 26, she was strikingly beautiful with delicate features. But she had spent her childhood and high school years as a chubby and shy girl, standing just 5-foot-3 and weighing 200 pounds at her heaviest.

When she finally lost 65 pounds in her late teens, men started to pay attention - including the man who would become her husband, Michael Schiavo, who was tall and handsome.

But keeping the weight off was a struggle for Terri Schiavo, and years later - after her heart stopped briefly, cutting off oxygen to the brain - a malpractice case brought against a doctor on her behalf would reveal she had been trying to survive on liquids and was making herself throw up after meals. The Schiavos' lawyer said her 1990 collapse was caused by a potassium imbalance brought on by an eating disorder.

It is a cruel twist lost on no one close to the case: A woman who is said to have struggled with an eating disorder is now in the middle of a court battle over whether her feeding tube should be removed so that she can starve to death.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I think I'm leaning with you Gaz...

let her go already... however, I think the Husband should be kept away, just go about his business and maybe let the parents decide...

oh yeah.. some good discusion here too :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Well, as a local case with LOTS of air time over the years, I'm pretty familiar with the ins and outs of it...

Gaz, if you think she's already in agony, why do you support putting her through increasing agony for a longer time?

Longer than over a decade? I'd much rather see her get a lethal injection to ease her suffering, but since we humans are more humane to terminal animals than we are humans, the "legal" way is to starve her to death. Cruel, yes, but far less cruel than being a vegetable for more than a decade!

Evil person you are sir, killing an innocent woman.

First off, it's been LEGALLY determined, time and time, and time again that her wishes would be to be taken off life support. And who the hell wouldn't? Would YOU want to be a meat shell for over a decade? Man, it's time to give this poor woman some peace. Thank goodness I've got a living will stating my wishes...I'd never want to go through the hell Terry's been through....

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I would have to support the husband in this case.

This reminds me of a story years ago, of the man who got trapped in between the subway train and platform in NYC. His body was literally 'pinched' together. If the train moved, he would die.

Now, as the police were standing over him, wondering what to do, and he asked one of them for their service gun to end his life, would an officer have a moral obligation to let the man be? Or should he hand over his gun, and let the poor man end his suffering?

interesting, and terrible at the same time

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Just as an FYI, all the footage you see on the news of her in the hospital bed moving, etc....that isn't current, not by YEARS... It's archived footage, and to date I've rarely seen any newscasts state that disclaimer....
She's been a vegetable for years...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I agree with Gazrok on this, just let her die, as for starving her being inhumane, well she is'nt conscious, so she wont suffer the pain of starving to death, though for space sake, I'd say a lethal injection is the way to go.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
If it were my decision, I'd let the family care for her. Why not?

Maybe because he loves her and doesnt want to see her like this?

FILL OUT A LIVING WILL PEOPLE

Me and my wife both have just to prevent this type of thing from happening.

What is TRULY the shame is that we would give a freaking DOG a shot to slip them off painlessly but we force this man to STARVE his wife.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
its murder, i mean shes not dying or brain dead, those who support disconnecting her do you realise this is dangerous, now people with cp, ms or any disease where they cant communicate yet they arent dying can be disconnected whether they want to or not, just need your legal guardians word alone....you dont see how this is wrong?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Yes she can talk, and recognizes faces.

Her husband is a total creep, and took all the money that was supposed to go to her care, now the NWO controlled courts want this as a straw man legal precedent to blow away protections from our system. This monster the husband, won't even allow tooth brushing and such care for his wife.

The question is not about a vegetative state, it is not about someone in a coma, it is about a living breathing human being who simply needs a feeding tube because she is paralyzed and brain damaged.

You shills in Dilbert cubes who are paid to post in her can go take a flying leap.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman

Her husband is a total creep, and took all the money that was supposed to go to her care,

Not according to MSNBC

now the NWO controlled courts want this as a straw man legal precedent to blow away protections from our system.

I was wondering what those sneaky Reptilians were up to

This monster the husband, won't even allow tooth brushing and such care for his wife.

I doubt there is a monster on either side both husband and parents are doing what they think is best IMO

The question is not about a vegetative state, it is not about someone in a coma, it is about a living breathing human being who simply needs a feeding tube because she is paralyzed and brain damaged.

Even if that person plainly stated she did not want to live this way? If my family forced me to live like that I would hope them a special place in hell.

You shills in Dilbert cubes who are paid to post in her can go take a flying leap.

Where is my back pay?

you have got to be kidding

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I know for a fact the philisophical points here, I think Christopher Reeve went though want to end it all, and aside from the fact he was not brain damaged he did not want for a time to live with his condition. He changed his mind.

Now we approach a time when governments are proceeding on a course towards death. I do not think that any life goes to the point of not worth living. Hitler started with those considered "useless eaters," the retarded, the elderly, those who could not defend themselves. Now we are on that road again, and it is too bad.

None of your arguments has any tenor IMHO, but on the other hand I consider my opinion as well received from many people here. There were no clear wishes from Terry, and the descriptions if any are heresay, with nothing in writing. She is catholic, and there are very limited circumstances where catholics accept what you propose, it goes for people who are on breathing life support who are in total misery from cancer, and the list includes heroic means. A feeding tube alone is not on that list.

I do not think Terry herself regards her condition in the here and now as "not worth living." Only the husband who has for all practical purposes abandoned here, wants this Kervorkian response, except by starving her to death. The women is not having intense pain, only a kind of helplessness, and she is coping with herioic humor, yes even to that point.

The Judge in the case has some ethical violations on other background issues, so it is going to get ugly in the aftermath.

I watched as my sister died of cancer, and there were no seriious suggestions about suicide, she was in total misery. She was the vibrant personality she always was up to almost the end, but she was in agony and kept on living with good humor. Yes she once talked about "calling Dr. Kervokian," because the misery was huge, but she would go on to the next thing and our entire family shared a transcendant experience. She shared that even as she was facing things, that life was worth living, and looked forward each day to new found hope. She outlived many others who took chemo and dropped.

Terry may be that kind of person, but she is not in pain, only in helplessness, probably as conscious behind the mask as anyone, but still responding to others as well as she can.

Do not dismiss these arguments lightly, please, I have lived with these kind of situations and I know what I am talking about. The case is judicial madness, and the possibility of opening a door to tyranny. That door is already open for less published cases, people begging for food and water and not getting it. The lockstep agreement of major news is an extremely strong case for the NWO, so your pyramid hat dismissals are IMHO once again an oxymoron.

[edit on 25-2-2005 by SkipShipman]

top topics

join