It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What parents used to say to kids, shockers or the good ol' days?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Mom - "I'll get THE STICK out!"

(the "stick" was a thick oak yardstick sawed off to 24" which I called the "Sawed-Off Yardstick". That puppy would leave a serious mark...and it hurt BIG-time!!!!). I was intimate with "the stick".

My dad's belt rack on the back his bed room door, we were told every weekend to not wake our father he worked late , with 4 kids in a small house somebody was gonna wake him up. All it took was to hear that belt rack rattle and you knew you butt was about to get whipped. Dad was equal opportunity boy, girl, if you were the one or not we all 4 would get it. Sometimes dont think we could properly start a Saturday or Sunday without getting our butts spanked. Had a big azz leather belt. Mom on the other hand had a nice thin one and she used to go after us too. Make no mistake we usually deserved it.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: MteWamp

a reply to: MteWamp

The nut doesn't fall far from the tree I guess.lol

She called green peppers "mangos" too.
I didn't know that was wrong until my late teens...
Come to find out that was a northern Indiana thing...

Yeah. That one really IS wierd...Damn.

EDIT:

Wait, Mangos? Seriously?

www.indystar.com...

Oh... God..... Dude. I am SO creeped out right now.....

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
How about, "shut up, and go change the channel for me" and "grab the foil, now, hold your left hand up, move a bit to the right. That's it!!! Now STAY there for another 25 minutes until this show is over."

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
My Mom's favorite saying was a simple slap in the back of the head when I did something wrong or stupid.

I was still getting those in my 50s.

As we got older in our teens our Mom used to make a fist and stick her bony middle knuckle out and frog your thigh or upper arm, again we usually deserved the punishment

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Mom - "I'll get THE STICK out!"

(the "stick" was a thick oak yardstick sawed off to 24" which I called the "Sawed-Off Yardstick". That puppy would leave a serious mark...and it hurt BIG-time!!!!). I was intimate with "the stick".

My dad's belt rack on the back his bed room door, we were told every weekend to not wake our father he worked late , with 4 kids in a small house somebody was gonna wake him up. All it took was to hear that belt rack rattle and you knew you butt was about to get whipped. Dad was equal opportunity boy, girl, if you were the one or not we all 4 would get it. Sometimes dont think we could properly start a Saturday or Sunday without getting our butts spanked. Had a big azz leather belt. Mom on the other hand had a nice thin one and she used to go after us too. Make no mistake we usually deserved it.

WHOOOOO!!!!, Come-on, brother!, PREACH!

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Dude! Brussel sprouts are like the perfect food...
But ya gotta steam them not boil..
Maybe fry em with some bacon.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The only 'switch' kids know these days is the Nintendo.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
How about, "shut up, and go change the channel for me" and "grab the foil, now, hold your left hand up, move a bit to the right. That's it!!! Now STAY there for another 25 minutes until this show is over."

Hehe.

I damn-near projectile-vomited when I even READ your post.
Been there, done that...Damn.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Back in the day mom only boiled them. You should try it sometime you would agree .

I like them now just not boiled .

I forgot one ....

“ quit watching the boob tube and go outside and play “ ( vacuum tubes they had a little nipple on them sometimes )

edit on 7-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
"Wait till your daddy gets home!"

I got sent by my parents to buy cartons of cigarettes at the store. I was around 10.

Time limits on using the one phone in the house and we were always paranoid somebody was listening in on the other extension.

Or...get out there and cut the grass and try not to cut off your foot. When i had trouble starting it, i got no help, and our mower was not a self propelled.

Also used to find snakeskins in the yard. First time we showed Mom she said.."it's fine, that's from a King Snake and they eat other snakes...go play. And we did!

edit on 7-10-2018 by EchoesInTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

My Mom's favorite saying was a simple slap in the back of the head when I did something wrong or stupid.

As we got older in our teens our Mom used to make a fist and stick her bony middle knuckle out and frog your thigh or upper arm, again we usually deserved the punishment

You gotta know, though, that one IS a little wierd, right?

Can't just be me, right?

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
"Is there a bone sticking out? A pool of blood on the ground? No? Shake it off and suck it up buttercup!"
"God made kids cute so moms wouldn't kill them!"
"Go play and don't come home till dark!"

LOL the fun days, I was always at the ranch riding tho so I rarely got in trouble, but when I did...whooo boy!

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

My mom fed us canned spinach and asparagus.
I hated that crap until I tried fresh.. Man what a difference.

Serving canned spinach should be a war crime.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime
"Wait till your daddy gets home!"

I got sent by my parents to buy cartons of cigarettes at the store. I was around 10.

Time limits on using the one phone in the house and we were always paranoid somebody was listening in on the other extension.

Or...get out there and cut the grass and try not to cut off your foot. When i had trouble starting it, i got no help, and our mower was not a self propelled.

Also used to find snakeskins in the yard. First time we showed Mom she said.."it's fine, that's from a King Snake and they eat other snakes...go play. And we did!

Oh, they would've never, EVER, trusted cigarettes to a child in my family.

No freakin' way.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
"Boy, quit touching that thing or it will fall off"...seriously heard that one once or twice. Hope I'm not the only one that heard that one.

Mom was wrong, but I didn't know it back then and took a break for a couple of days.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

My mom fed us canned spinach and asparagus.
I hated that crap until I tried fresh.. Man what a difference.

Serving canned spinach should be a war crime.

Hehe.

It seems the taste of dirt is something that seems to develop with age, as opposed to mileage...

I can tell you know what I mean, hehe...

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maverick1
"Boy, quit touching that thing or it will fall off"...seriously heard that one once or twice. Hope I'm not the only one that heard that one.

Mom was wrong, but I didn't know it back then and took a break for a couple of days.

Well, having YOUR parents would have damn sure saved me a lot of trouble later in life....

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
"I'll take your sorry little ass to the orphanage if you don't straighten up!!"

"Right after I get done tannin' you sorry behind!!"

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MteWamp

You gotta know, though, that one IS a little wierd, right?

Can't just be me, right?

LOL yes it was but it was damn effective especially as we got older and bigger than her, it hurt like hell.

Another thing was you ate whatever mom cooked, you didnt get choose LOL I dont know who chose but it was never a kid you ate what was cooked finished your plate or you sat there until you did. Didnt matter that you didnt like lima beans you where going to get a helping and you had better eat them LOL.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
You bring the gas can, I'll bring the matches.........uh ooops, I mean

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join