It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My "Overland" Video Game Roll Playing "Strategy"..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
So, I'm all set up now with my gaming rig including the Samsung Super Ultrawide curved 49" 2 monitor combined, monitor, which rocks, and I've chosen a variety of games and gaming platforms including DCS World, Project Cars 2, Grand Theft Auto V, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, a realistic Space Sim called Space Engine, American Truck Simulator, The Golf Club, F12018, Forza Motorsport 7 (I like realistic flight and driving sims) with plans to spend time in the Persistent Universe of Star Citizen upon the release of 3.4 end of December/Early Jan, while looking forward to Halo Infinite 2019 as well.

Now there's a kid in me that's excited about playing these games just for personal fun & enjoyment, and they are, but it can be rather pointless just you know moving pixals around on a screen. What's the point?

Then it occurred to me that these games can be recorded with Nvidia's Shadowplay overlay and Microsoft's Game Bar (or whatever it's called) and of course it can also be live streamed as well. So it's also a spectator sport along with a potentially powerful communications medium.. hmmm.

So here's the idea that I've come up with.

I'm going to create an on-line gaming character who's not me per se, the gamer, but the role/character that the gamer is playing. Standard stuff. But where I hope to make it interesting is in the notion that the different games or worlds, many with their own accompanying "lore", my character will evolve along a single overarching narrative that will combine and include the various gaming worlds ie: a WWII chapter could seamlessly include scenes from both DCS World's WWII Normandy Map saying flying the Spitfire, and Call of Duty WWII on the ground, even as a story told from the POV of an American Trucker (named Bob) (time slips are used in movies as a story is told) who later gets picked up as if during a UFO encounter and taken into the Star Citizen universe, to then later on at some point land on "World of Warcraft" surrounded by a dense atmosphere of magic.

All the while the audience is like some kind of rider, to whom Bob addresses as the narrator. I would also make it a type of musical with the inclusion of various Classic Rock songs that are of a certain "opera-like" quality ie: having Bob leave his spaceship while David Bowie's Space Oddity, "Major Tom" plays, or in a FPS have the character make kills to Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust", stuff like that. And funny!

Trucker Bob could have all kinds of things to say when reminiscing about his life, commenting on various sites along the way, while drawing in the audience to ride along with glee and laughing their asses off and enjoying great music all at the same time.

A reframe, in other words that's capable of moving from game to game while retaining a singular narrative.

This, for me, gives the process of learning and playing these games a greater purpose.

What do you think of this idea? Could be very interesting and a new take on gaming I feel.

Or is it just plain stupid and something that everyone would mock & ridicule?

Ankh

edit on 7-10-2018 by AnkhMorpork because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Making varieties of gameplay into a movie is something you should do and make it into series would be awesome.

Go for it!

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Sounds pretty interesting.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AnkhMorpork

I absolutely love this idea!

If you ever start producing video please drop a link.

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I gotta say i dig the idea, i hope you keep us informed

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Nice! Try it out and see, you won't know otherwise. Have you played The Secret World? I played the original not the Legends version, some say it caused the game to tank. It took place in modern times(while not WWII as you mention) but had the elements of fantasy added in along with it's secret society story line as it might be something to observe despite the version.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   

You mentioned World of Warcraft .
Check out the Elder scrolls games especially Elder Scrolls Online.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Thank you guys for the positive feedback on the idea. Much appreciated! Big time!

I think it's a very interesting hobby, and in the end much cheaper than say model railroading or something like that and for me I always have to begin with the end-game in mind and it needs to function, the activity, in the context of a deeper and higher purpose.

I'll work to create and upload a test video within the next few days to a week. It will just be "Bob" on the road from American Truck Simulator, shooting the # to make the drive a little more interesting. Perhaps to explain why he's talking to "you" like an imaginary friend as the audience is in part due to him being a little "touched" a little crazy being in recovery from left-over PTSD from his time in the Airforce in the Persian Gulf flying an FA 18-C Hornet off an aircraft carrier (which will take me at least six months to learn how to operate in DCS World) after a period of time as a rebel gallivanting around the USA in GTA V &/or GTA V online.

For the larger plan to string it all together in a sweaping narrative, my thought is to spend the next six months just playing, learning, and recording and editing, to experiment, while starting to write out a bit of a screenplay for the various chapters, the first of which will explain the story of his grandfather, Victor & Victor's best friend (also named Bob who Victor named his son after before he died making Bob, Robert the III), both of whom die in Normandy in WWII while reincarnating into the 30th century (Star Citizen universe) and who, via a loophole in quantum jump technology, return to early 21st century earth to pick Bob up and take him to the future (I might have him ask them - "doesn't this violate the grandfather paradox?", in response to which the future Victor will say simply, "no, not in the case of reincarnation") where he exists like a man out of time, suddenly thrust into the gruelling training regimine of Squadron 42 although he'll be right at home in the future space-variant of the Hornet from his days in the Persian Gulf.

I'm also aware that in terms of game play and narrative that the release of Star Citizen PU Beta (sometime in late 2020?) will transcend what's possible in every other game, but by the time Bob gets to that universe, his various experiences in the 21st century Earth plane could be called upon as flashback episodes lending further backstory and character development to what's going on for him in the 30th century, like that time he got a hole in one when playing that course in Hawaii, or when he won that rally race in the new Dirt 2 gameworld (coming out late Feb 2019), or when he became a Formula One Driver to try to reclaim the thrill of flying as a fighter pilot) the possibilities are endless.

I will call it "Bob's Excellent Adventures" and have a disclaimer that Bob is a fictional character and that any similarities to real people, places and things is entirely unintended and accidental. It will be very comedic in orientation, but serious too when and as needed.

The whole goal or object will be to really MOVE people regarding a whole host of issues relating to self identity, family of origin, philosphy, and every manner of allegory and plot development with two main principals involving paradigm shifts (the best part of any really good joke) and the NLP axiom that "context & framing is decisive".

When you hang out with Bob and pick up on the things he teaches through fortune and folly and via simple dialogue including with his imaginary friend who's always watching, and you "grok", you just can't unlearn what you've learned since once the mind and heart changes shape it cannot go back to its original configuration. However, instead of taking the Hollywierd approach of manipulating the audiance to embrace dark themes, the aim will be a kind of reverse brainwashing which will hope to make a mockery out of their MO, kind of like Neo when he's fully aware of the Matrix. That's the frame of reference I'd like to convey, that higher POV based on universal principals threading through all worlds whereby life itself is seen as story, and the various roles we play just roles we play not to be confused with the one who's playing them. Serious, but not serious, holding in reserve the possibility of real FUN!

Bob will also stand for true Civility in the gameworld.

Notice how in on-line play how, because there's no major rules or consequences that all pretense of Civility and of good conduct is thrown to the wind by the gamers ie: in American Truck Simulator, if you go on-line to form a convoy or something like that, that all the other TROLL players want to do is F you up by ramming your truck, or if on-line racing, to crash your car and just be a pain in the ass.

This makes no room for that kind of nonsense, and in the Star Citizen universe, the aim will be to avoid getting killed and losing one's life and character, although i suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world if Bob eventually died there at the hands of pirates with his son taking on the mantal of his entire legacy, extending into still more story making.

Just sharing my ideas about it.

Thanks again for the positive feedback!

Ankh

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Go get that ad revenue brah.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedmoonMWC

You mentioned World of Warcraft .
Check out the Elder scrolls games especially Elder Scrolls Online.

Yes, beautiful scenery in that game. I'm thinking there of something Terry Pratchett-like for the world of magic, and that would work better in terms of realism and emersion.

Plus I don't have time to fight my way through WoW and learn it. Was thinking that I could arrange to be met by members of a powerful guild who could provide protection for a tour and a visit with a powerful sorcerer or something like that. lol

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

That's not the real reason or purpose, although I realize that something like this could become very popular.

There would only ever be an ad at the very beginning that can be skipped. No ads past that, I don't care how much money would be lost.

Would rather have an opt-in to share longer gameplay segements from which the various snippets are taken and strung together for each "movie" episode. Like the outtakes you get on a blue ray that kind of thing.

It sure would be interesting to make a living and get paid to have fun and to communicate with people by the many 1000's and have a positive impact at the same time.

But that's not why I came up with this idea and it's not my primary intent by any means.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   

If it comes to popularity ad or wanting/needing revenue:

You need so many followers on Youtube now revenue for Adsence.

Could always look into Patreon as well.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Yes. Because of it's principal based.. ethos, allowing YouTube to control what ads are played has to be a NO!

Instead, something like Patreon and/or an opt-in on YouTube (can have a "Join" button now) to keep it relatively "clean" from "the system".

No hypocrisy. This would impress people I think, particularly if you end up with a million viewers or something like that where they can see that it's not some sort of cash grab scheme.

I would rather have a virtual community of followers than Gootube ad revenue.

Could spin it into a Podcast as well for general conversation if people like what they're hearing and seeing.

I have a product in development, a phenomenal medicinal salve that I think is the world's greatest. Get a following of people who trust you, and they've want to contribute and participate. Kind of like Alex Jones' model of selling supplements.

So the money side must be reduced to an entirely secondary consideration, while putting up a block on Gootube generated ad revenue.

Could advertise with some Google AdSense though, which would keep them happy since YouTube is by far the best and biggest platform for showcasing it.

Some of the scenes will be absolutely hilarious! It would get a following pretty quickly or eventually.

I will keep it pure & matrix free. Plus, since it's all about the character, it will never be about me, personally even though I would be more of the real me in a podcast talking ABOUT it, among other things.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Thank you for letting me share my vision and have a bit of a sounding board.

It's confirmed for me that I'm on the right track with this concept/project.

Will post a vid soon.

Best regards,

Ankh

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Nice! Try it out and see, you won't know otherwise. Have you played The Secret World? I played the original not the Legends version, some say it caused the game to tank. It took place in modern times(while not WWII as you mention) but had the elements of fantasy added in along with it's secret society story line as it might be something to observe despite the version.

Cool. Thank you. Will look into that game.

Generally speaking I'm only going to go with the highest graphics AAA next gen games and I don't want to be in games where the story and narrative is entirely directed, with return to "in between" play that's always the same, just in a different scene ie: Star Wars Battlefront II, Batman Arkham Knight, etc. Even the up and coming much anticipated Cyberpunk 2077 still jams you into it's own storyline even if you have two or more choices at each fork in the road. I don't want to be in anyone else's movie, but to make my own.

I also find many games to be jeuvenile in the way that they coach you along and the acting isn't very good, it isn't AUTHENTIC, like you'll get in Star Citizen with the new face over IP or FOIP technology with your character mimicking your facial expressions and seeing the other guy's, gal's.

However, I totally get the nostalgic aspects of gaming (I was once a master of asteroids and could have won any competition), so it would be smart and FUN to include some of that.

I'd frame that, the playing of other older titles like X-Wing Commander etc. etc. from the stand up gaming machine that I've seen in Star Citizen, just edit it in then expand the FOV. That would be off the charts META, especially if the character in the game was also playing a game...!

Things like that would trip people right out and they wouldn't know who's playing who, including themselves as the observer!

Utterly gripping moments would then include these opratic Classic Rock songs. With the FOIP coming up for Star Citizen, the character could even lip sinc right along with the music! That # would rock! People would love it, instead of just some guy gaming.

People would tune in for each episode I'm sure just to see what happens, where the arc of the plotline I'm talking about would be as far as the heavens are long - which is where Space Engine comes into play extending the Star Citizen universe with new worlds and gaming environments on each one. Here I'm thinking of the Star Trek model from episode to episode.

And if some average dude playing games could outdo Hollywood - that too would be funny and totally awesome!

You heard about it here first, @ ATS!

edit on 8-10-2018 by AnkhMorpork because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Youtube says 1000 subs or GTFO these days.

I get thousands of views on my videos, but just as I started making money youtube screwed me and many others.
I ould get 1000 subs easy, but I like legit views and subs.

So yeah OP, prepare for a hell of a lot of work. Even live streaming can require a lot of effort. Especially with creating content that will grab an audience. Viewers can be fickle people, it can be hard to keep a constant flow of fresh ideas coming, especially if you're going with humour.

Recommend checking out OBS. Shadowplay is king for quality imho if you're using a nVidia gpu, but OBS gives you waaaay more functionality and possibilities over it. Although I stick to Shadowplay if I am recording for editing later.

But yeah, hope you're a good story teller and actor and as a fellow gaming content creator good luck and all the best.

One final tip before I go, if possible record to a hard drive that is not the same as where your game is installed and loading from. It can help prevent bottle necking, and if you are on Windows 10, make sure all the Game DVR stuff added in the creator update is disabled.
Sometimes it is on automatically and can cause freezing in your games especially if you are using Shadowplay at the same time, which of course will affect your recording and streams.

Actually if you do not need it, disable all the windows 10 gaming stuff altogether.
edit on 9-10-2018 by AtomicKangaroo because: typos as usual. probably more in there lol.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

Channel link?

Since campkill stopped making videos I have been trying to find a new gaming channel.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

I'd love to post a link but I don't promote my channel on ATS. I keep those two lives separate.

Some people can be petty and I do not want 'bad sports' who don't like my opinions here coming along and trying to doxx me (I don't completely hide my identity on my channel) and ruin what I have.

Which I have sadly had happen in the past, just thankfully I'm generally pretty good at shutting down internet warriors.
Like any site, even ATS is not free of such people.

Just something else anyone getting started on youtube should consider. Be selective about where you share your content.

A link on ATS might get you a lot of views, but it can also get you a lot of jerks.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

Thanks for your input, very helpful.

This is a year long project really, the making of the first movie chapters or episodes, although in the interim I might throw some stuff up just for the heck of it.

As to being a good story teller and actor, I think I can manage that because at some level I really don't care. I will be in effect commisserating with my audiance, and if they're kind hearted they'll thank me, and if they're hard-hearted, they'll scorn me, but I'll win those bastards over as well in the end.

There isn't anything that can't be accomplished with truth, authenticity, reason, and the ability to reframe and shift context in ways that will appeal to any audiance.

Someday I hope to make it a weekly show, and there's no telling what could happen. If they like it they'll subscribe and watch, and if they don't, who cares. I can't be concerned with performing FOR the fickle audiance.

But the plot of the story, and to create that sympathetic connection, it will have to be both mapped out and scripted to a degree, but also entirely authentic or serious. Serious and not serious at all - that's where the possibility for humor comes into play.

It will be very novel and unexpected.

Problem is I also have to be really good at playing the games for the story to transcend them and for the gaming community to be impressed by what they're seeing.

So it's a long term project, but good ideas are worth investing the time.

It makes playing more enjoyable when I'm learning in the context that some day I'll have an audiance and something to say, to teach, to share, to laugh at and have fun with.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
YouTube, Twitter, etc. are starting to disgust me in terms of their behavior which I've seen first hand.

Therefore, to maintain integrity or to make it, the whole effort, ecological - I can't just be another gamer on YouTube. No way.

So I'm going to go with minds.com, bitchute, and gab.ai. for everything, and Patreon for financial support and participation.

Everyone I'm about is anti-evil and entry into a new domain and pasture of enjoyment and limitless possibility, so I refuse to use those platforms. Screw it!

Will keep y'all posted on future developments.

Thanks again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join