It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did you grow or can this year?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
watermelons/ grapes/ onions/ sweet potato/ aloe/ moringa/ morning glory...

no can/ no preserve this year...

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I just bought my first pressure canner a couple weeks ago and taught myself. I am an avid fisherman and wanted a way to eat fresh Coho and Chinook year round.

Ive just finished 2 more batches today. Timely, but worth it. It takes me about 5 hours a batch but with two batches about 9 hours since I can prep as the first one cools down.

I got a presto 22 quart pressure canner which fits 16 wide mouth pint jars. Ive done about 9 batches now and have 135 x 500ml (about 400 to 420 grams per jar, of salmon) done now. I gave about 45 away to family and close friends and canned some for my fishing partner
. 90 jars are for me and that gives me about 1lb or 1 jar of salmon every 3 days until next salmon season

3 jars broke and 1 didnt seal out of all those. The broken jars were my first 2 batches and I summarize that to learning, lol. Its prettt neat to can your own catch!!!! Delicious too.. 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon vinegar = yummy Coho / Chinook

Im thinking of doing vegetables each month in quart jars so I dont have to cook dailyand worry about spoiling greens in the fridge.

Cool thread

edit on 02018043141201820181304 by LostWoods because: Typo

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Lynzer

Spiced peaches... Oh, good memories. My mom, and sometimes me, canning six or seven batches of about 10-12 jars each. Those were from our own peach trees, white and yellow, that I planted myself. Then we'd visit farm stands and get four or five more bushel baskets of 'em, and pears, as well. We'd wind up with just shelves of canned peaches of all kinds. By May, they'd be mostly gone...never too many.

Luckily, we had a huge basement...

Peaches. Pears. Crab apples. Regular apples/applesauce. Mince (my moms secret recipe, that I no longer have
). Carrots (I despise canned carrots, but everybody else liked 'em so...). All sorts of beans. Potatoes. Pickled radishes (again, not good, but...). Tomatoes (whole, soup, and sauce.)

I miss it. Haven't had to can huge amounts of anything for many years now, not since my Mom passed, and the family has pretty much scattered to the four winds.

I can't begin to imagine how we'd have eaten well without that garden full of food, and the hundreds of jars of fruit and veggies, not to mention the jams and jellies.

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join