It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did you grow or can this year?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
A few of you know, I am an avid canner. I will can anything. Yep, even bacon. I try to do a big garden every year. Sometimes it works out, other times the weeds win.
First off, I went to the freezer, to can up any beef that was coming due. And got a rude awakening. The last butcher we used for our cow, was not our usual one. This one used what was basically saran wrap. So angry, and lost a lot of burger. Which sucks, because I had only put up 20 pints of Taco meat out of it.
Taco meat is great to put up, as it eliminates all your cook time when wanting Tacos or Nachos. Just warm it up and eat! So easy.
I also like to do Beef stew, just beef cubed, ham, and BBQ Pork.
Honestly, I would much rather spend one or two days canning it up, to have a couple months worth of food ready with little to no cooking.
I didn't have a whole lot of luck this year, with corn, as we had no rain. I had hardly any ears on our stalks.
I did get to put up salsa, and even made one jar labeled Dangerous! Ghost peppers and some Caribbean pepper that is suppose to be 400,000 on the hot scale. (Hubby is insane and likes this stuff) I make up a big batch of salsa, put it in jars, then add different peppers to each jar.
(Thankfully, I learned that using a sharpie on the lids will survive in the pressure cooker. AWESOME)
As I sit here, I have 4 jars of Sauerkraut in the pressure cooker. I fermented it, then jarred it up.
Now, you don't really need to use a pressure cooker for it, you can water bath, but I am just used to it now, and use it for everything.
It is really great if you want to can Chicken. I throw 2 or three whole chickens in there, (with water) and let them rattle for an hour, hour and a half. All the meat is off the bone! Then I just can it up, with the water/broth that was in there and pressure cook the jars. This makes great chicken noodle soup or pot pies!
So, did you garden and or can this year? Any tips or tricks? Good recipes?

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I didn't grow or can anything but I bought a crap ton of cans and mylar'ed up 500 pounds of rice

edit on 7-10-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This year nothing, just moved back to the states so need to wait till I am back in the house come December, so this spring I will be experimenting with peppers, and of course the standard tomatoes, cucumbers, and lettuce.

At least till I find a new place further out of the city so I can plant a good sized plot of land where I will get more specific with what I grow.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Impressive canning!

How long will canned meat last? Never done that.

I do a bit of pickling for different veggies and quail eggs...no canning though.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

That is a lot of Rice!
One of my favorite, easy dishes: 1 pint of my canned beef, 1 cup rice cooked. Gives me 2 days of lunch and tastes amazing with just a little soy sauce.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Northern lights and cherry lime haze and mortgage lifter tomatoes and white widow and train wreck

Smiley smiley

Aw....edit....thank you for the nice round of applause, ladies and gentlemen

Mortgage lifters.....they're thee best tasting ....thinskinned.....big......funny shaped but big, did I say big enough times idk.....easy slicing .....stays together after ya slice em......no slime in the middle....tow maters this side of the Mekong Delta !

edit on 7-10-2018 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Technically, canned properly, forever, although it would lose nutritional value, from what I've read. I think the longest I have had a jar, then eaten was 5 years. Tasted fine, didn't get sick.

Oh, one trick when canning meat, put vinegar on a paper towel, and wipe around the top before putting the lid on. It will remove the fat/grease, so you have a better chance of sealing when canning.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Wasn't sure what some of that was. Til I asked the hubby. He sure knew right away

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I grew my ammo collection to the thousands and filled my ammo cans full. Does that count?

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

Well, besides just prepping, if you use it to hunt, you could can the venison. So sure!

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Lol I came in here to make that joke
But you me.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
We grew tomatoes which we made into sauce and froze in quart size ziplock bags.

Also grew Thai and habanero hot peppers some which were dried and toasted, then ground into pepper flakes.

Others were smoked, or dried and bagged for the freezer.

Made a couple quarts of habanero/carrot sauce too, and some smoked habanero salt which is amazing.

We've got our spicy fix locked in for the winter.

Also drying about a pound of volunteer 'hen of the woods' mushrooms that popped up in the yard a couple days ago.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Technically, canned properly, forever,

I have a really hard time wrapping my head around this... do you have data to back this up other than "you've never gotten sick"... some people just have iron guts because they've eaten so much trash their whole life. (not saying you, but you get what I mean)

Is it really as simple as... no air ever get's to it so nothing can grow or go south? How quickly after a 5 year old jar of cooked chicken is open does it go bad?

I'm genuinely curious so please enlighten me.

At the very least wouldn't exposure to UV have some effect?

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I and my son grew two types of melons, tomatoes and peppers that I canned. I tried to grow beans but the rabbits were eating my sprouts. Had to keep my sons 4H chickens put up as they tore up the tomatoes if they saw a red one.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

I understand you questioning this. I can't find the original butFound on a steamboat

I wouldn't try 100 years. Couldn't. LOL

But I trust my ball blue book, and my grandma and grandpa.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Yeah, I had a few mishaps with my dang chickens. I really wanted to put just my ducks in the garden this year, but couldn't get them to go through the gate, without several chickens getting in, so I gave up. I had some monster tomato worms that made them very happen when I found them.
Gross!

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
What a cool thread. We've recently moved to the country with a nice home on 1-1/2 acres. Bought a tiller to grind a little garden plot about 24' square. I've piped water from a well (we also have city water) to a bibb/faucet over to the plot. We grew a lot of tomatoes & peppers & onions. My wife makes a delicious salsa and also freezes peppers to use on this & that for the year. Will grow more next season.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CADpro
How great for you! It is so nice to be able to grow your own!

One of the last things I have to do, is get the rest of the peppers out of the garden. I'm thinking of drying some, and freezing the rest.

One of the great things about having my garden, fenced off in the chicken run, is that at the end of the season, I take down the middle fence, and boy do they clean it up well. Scratching, digging, eating leftovers. All I usually have to do is pull corn stalks, and till it up. Funny watching the hubby do it, with 25 chickens following him like the pied piper.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I've never canned anything, although I recognise it as a valuable skill and one I should learn in the event of the SHTF.

We like to grow though, this year we did tomatoes, cucumber, pumpkin, strawberries, and a few other assorted herbs.

We don't eat it unfortunately, as there's cats about that like to spray stuff, we grow more to teach the kids and put some extra colour and foliage into the garden.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I have lot of experience with canning and preserving, but I didn't get around to doing any as of this time this year. I did see, I sh!t you not, canned seal penis. A friend picked it up in Alaska.
I'm sure it he got it just for a novel conversation piece.
I hope things never get so bad that anyone has to eat it to survive.
It would be an interesting topping option on a pizza menu.

edit on 7-10-2018 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join