It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court - AKA: How to Keep Up With Major Court Cases Without Being an Attorney

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
With all the interest in the Kavanaugh case, and the Supreme Court in general, I thought it would be interesting to see what type of cases will be coming up for review soon. Here's just a few:

17-1717 "The American Legion v. American Humanist Association (1) Whether a 93-year-old memorial to the fallen of World War I is unconstitutional merely because it is shaped like a cross; (2) whether the constitutionality of a passive display incorporating religious symbolism should be assessed under the tests articulated in Lemon v. Kurtzman, Van Orden v. Perry, Town of Greece v. Galloway or some other test; and (3) whether, if the test from Lemon v. Kurtzman applies, the expenditure of funds for the routine upkeep and maintenance of a cross-shaped war memorial, without more, amounts to an excessive entanglement with religion in violation of the First Amendment."

18-18 "Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission v. American Humanist Association Whether the establishment clause requires the removal or destruction of a 93-year-old memorial to American servicemen who died in World War I solely because the memorial bears the shape of a cross."

18-113 Rodgers v. Florida "Whether waiving a state-law right to have a jury make an advisory sentencing recommendation constitutes a knowing and intelligent waiver of the federal constitutional right to have a jury make all requisite findings for the imposition of death, particularly when the latter right did not exist at the time of the waiver."

18-107 "R.G. & G.R. Harris Funeral Homes Inc. v. Equal Opportunity Employment Commission (1) Whether the word “sex” in Title VII’s prohibition on discrimination “because of . . . sex,” 42 U.S.C. § 2000e-2(a)(1), meant “gender identity” and included “transgender status” when Congress enacted Title VII in 1964; and (2) whether Price Waterhouse v. Hopkins prohibits employers from applying sex-specific policies accord"

18-64 Lucio-Rayos v. Sessions "Whether a criminal conviction bars a noncitizen from applying for relief from removal when the record of conviction is merely ambiguous as to whether it corresponds to an offense listed in the Immigration and Nationality Act."

A good source of information to keep up with cases/issues pending before the U.S. Supreme Court; they even have a plain English/Cases made Simple for us non lawyers. Note: I have no connection to this website/blog except finding it to be a valuable source of information.

Source: www.scotusblog.com...

Should be an interesting few years ahead of us!

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
It’s gonna be awesome when Ginsburg kicks it and Sotomayor’s health forces her retirement while the Dems are absolutely powerless to stop their replacements from being appointed... 30+ years of rule of law and Constitutionality lie ahead of U.S... very well could be the American Renaissance...

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SwissMarked
It’s gonna be awesome when Ginsburg kicks it and Sotomayor’s health forces her retirement while the Dems are absolutely powerless to stop their replacements from being appointed... 30+ years of rule of law and Constitutionality lie ahead of U.S... very well could be the American Renaissance...

I can only imagine how crazy the libs will get if Trump ends up selecting a total of 4 Supreme Court justices!

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: manta78

originally posted by: SwissMarked

I can only imagine how crazy the libs will get if Trump ends up selecting a total of 4 Supreme Court justices!

That's only in the first four years... their heads will explode if Kagen gets "Scalia'd" and he gets a 5th...

I'm looking forward to what the Dems try to do to Barrett when they stand no chance of blocking her and the House is so out of reach their idiotic talk of "impeaching justices" is a bigger pipe dream Trump getting run out of town for "Russian Collusion"...

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Shouldn't be difficult to determine which way a ruling is going:

If Justice K is smiling, it's going toward the right.

If Justice K is crying, it's going toward the left.
edit on 10/7/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: manta78

Thanks for the heads up and the info source!
Much appreciated.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: manta78

Thanks for the heads up and the info source!
Much appreciated.
[/quote

Your welcome!

edit on 10/7/2018 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join