It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ok. UFC 229 live in 4 hours. whats your predictions?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: TinySickTears
you would think after 25 years people would catch on

You think, right? But some people just don't get it.

to be fair a lot of people still do not really understand what they are seeing on the ground and it is not as flashy as most of the stuff on the feet unless you know what you are watching.

i also think a lot of people still just want to see a slug fest and not the best martial artist.

a lot of people are not picking up on the subtle # like the way khabib laces conors(and everyones legs)

at those high levels man it is that subtle # that makes it high level and a lot of people miss it

i was watchig quintet friday and gordon ran absolutely killed it btw.
anyway he was mounted on a guy and was slowly trying to cinch an arm triangle and he had it wrapped with 1 arm/hand and he was slowly walking his other hand up towards the head for the grip. never losing contact with the mat. some point of his hand was always on the mat.
that does not seem like a big deal but that is huge. lower level guys would lift their hand/arm up and try to lock it in fast and lose their base and possibly get swept.

its those little things

dont know if you watched but gordon tapped josh barnett out in under 4 minutes with a beautiful triangle

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

It's like chess in many ways as you are trying to outplay the other guy by several moves.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

It's like chess in many ways as you are trying to outplay the other guy by several moves.

i am still reading comments like wrestling is gay and anyone can choke someone.
hahahahaahha

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Usually made by people who have never been choked.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: rollanotherone

Conor shouldn't have taken that fight. Tony Ferguson is a way better fight for him maybe...

Conor should've retired in 2016. His game got exposed by Nate. Dana is terrible for the UFC. His cash cows are gone. Conor. Done. Howdy Honda Howsy. Gone. Weidman. Done. His little darlings got beat and lost their belts. It's a shame too. The UFC doesn't respect the fighters. Only their money makers.

I'll still watch until I die becasue I believe MMA is one of the last true sports out there. But Dana needs to step down and let Big John McCarthy take over. He'd make an awesome president and could breathe some fresh life into the league.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Conor wasn't chocked. He was straight up being slowly killed. That was a mean neck wrench. I thought for a second Herb would've had to bring the jaws of life to rescue Conor.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone

Conor wasn't chocked. He was straight up being slowly killed. That was a mean neck wrench. I thought for a second Herb would've had to bring the jaws of life to rescue Conor.

that was a variation on a rear naked
not exactly a rear naked choke. not exactly a neck/face crank

pretty good explanation here

link in case it wont embed

www.youtube.com...

WlJfo6pGs_I&t=892s

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I'll still watch until I die becasue I believe MMA is one of the last true sports out there. But Dana needs to step down and let Big John McCarthy take over. He'd make an awesome president and could breathe some fresh life into the league.

i stopped watching mma for about 10 years. watch it casually now but i am getting sucked back in but i dont like a lot of the WWE # so i try to stay away. i follow a couple fighters.

dude you should start watching some jiu jitsu competitions. this is the golden age of jiu jitsu right now.
so many good promotions out there. there are high level competitions all the time.

fight pass is only 10 bucks a month. i got is specifically for EBI. submission only jiu jitsu
now sakuraba is putting on quintet. its awesome man.

quintet is 4 teams each event. combined weight of like 900lbs per team. winner stays on until they lose.

it is great.

you can check out fight pass for free for a week then cancel.

grab it for a week and check out the last quintet which is quintet 3 and the last couple EBI

the last EBI is combat jiu jitsu. i am not in love with it yet but it is growing on me.
its submission only jiu jitsu with open hand pancrase style strikes on the ground.

the EBI absolutes before that...

its great stuff man
ADCC is next year
polaris has great events

if you are looking for another 'combat' style sport to go with MMA, i recommend that

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I've tried watching BJJ matches. I just couldn't do it man. Pure BJJ was too slow moving for me. I think Eddie Bravo (?) Has something like open palm strikes with BJJ fights? I heard it on JRE and it sounded interesting. I've watched the 5v5 full on brawl fights too. Those were pretty awesome to watch.

I prefer watching the mix of styles. I like seeing different elements being used to counter. Watching two Masters in BJJ is like watching the Masters cup. If that's your thing, I respect that.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I've tried watching BJJ matches. I just couldn't do it man. Pure BJJ was too slow moving for me. I think Eddie Bravo (?) Has something like open palm strikes with BJJ fights? I heard it on JRE and it sounded interesting. I've watched the 5v5 full on brawl fights too. Those were pretty awesome to watch.

I prefer watching the mix of styles. I like seeing different elements being used to counter. Watching two Masters in BJJ is like watching the Masters cup. If that's your thing, I respect that.

cool man.
each is own

im telling you though submission only is fairly new. last few years.
no gi
no points

its not like the IBJJF championships or anything like that.

much faster pace and yeah eddie does the CJJ(combat jiu jitsu)
submission only with open hand strikes on the ground.

like i said you can get the fight pass for free for a week to check it out.

dude i am a jiu jitsu maniac and a lot of the Gi, point tournaments like ibjjf stuff bore me too.

i wouldnt lie to you.
no gi submission is damn near a different sport

here is a highlight.... songs suck. dont hate

this is submission only too

garry tonon vs palharis

www.youtube.com...

not for everyone though. i am biased

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Yeah. That was interesting to watch. And the music was fantastic. I need them on a Pandora station. Much better than the "click click boom!!!" Song you hear on TUF.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

There is no proof Jones "snitched".
Stipe is/was not the most dominant champion.

But hey, at least you spelled "Conor" and "losing" correctly.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
another jerk. ok

stipe has more title defenses than anyone in the history of the ufc so that is where my wording of dominant came from

no proof jon didnt snitch either

he denied it so lets go ahead and believe him cause he is such a trustworthy guy

way to pick out the important #

good going

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Conor was simply not good enough in the grapples. He would never beat Khabib.
The fight was one-sided - basically Conor trying to avoid being taken down, but he couldn't.
I enjoyed the fights - there's more to get excited about that the usual boxing match, but a top boxing match up still generates more excitement (unfortunately there are just not that many of them anymore).

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

So you resort to name calling because you're clearly wrong?
That's fine, dude.

But let me point out to you that Demetrius Johnson holds the record you speak of. Second place belongs to Anderson Silva.

Maybe, just maybe if you had considered the weight class in your previous comments.....I wouldn't have typed sh!t to you.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: RoadCourse

no.
i called you a jerk cause thats how your post comes off

whatever man

youre the stat master

good on ya

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Stat master, no.
Casual MMA fan.....also a NO.

For the record. I appreciate you and your threads on MMA here on ATS.
I have checked them all out.
I also appreciate you putting that footage from Twitter on here as well.
Although I had already seen it, it's important for all here discussing it, to view it.
I'd like to type to you, that I agree that I came off a bit wrong on my comment. And for that I apologize.
Please accept.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

its all good sir

i am a dick a lot of the time

all is well

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

check this out

replay of the punch that khabib dropped him with

the tiniest of feints had conor thinking he was going to shoot then he got cracked

streamable.com...

slow motion

streamable.com...

super slow motion

streamable.com...

conor also told whats her face in the unfiltered interview that khabib is a flincher and will flinch and not stand to get hit.

maybe that is why khabib stood right in front of him and boxed with him.

he definitely showed conor whats up. you can see it in his face. conor was done

and you can argue he gave up long before he tapped. if you watch again he just presented his back and gave him his neck with no real defense.

khabib said he does that too.

like with nate

he was tired so here you go end it please

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

if you can watch the fight again watch at the end right after herb pulls khabib off. khabib stands up and starts saying something to conor and conor just looks down and away.

i think as soon as khabib got that single leg at 14 seconds in conor realized he was screwed.

was too afraid of the takedown to really commit to anything

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join