It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia, UK accuse Russia of cyber attacks aimed at undermining Western democracies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: villagesmithie
a reply to: purplemer

I think you are underestimating what Russia is attempting. It's not just sock puppet accounts. There is more intention behind it then that.

There are many players, some working for financial ends, some for political. All have an effect on you and I. All are important to be aware of.

If Russia is such an enemy why would the west sell them uranium. The threat is make beleif. It is being used to pass laws and control mechanism against its own people. Just like 911 was. If you want to loose more of your rights stay asleep

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

I don't think Russia is so much an enemy. They are a different country with different beliefs and goals.

Individuals and countries can disagree on issues, still work for the things they agree on, and work individually for the the things they disagree on.

The Russian system right now has the power concentrated at the top. Disagreeing can get you imprisoned or worse. Even reporting on news can be dangerous. That type of system has a certain kind of efficiency but is not so good for individual freedom.

The US system is moving in that direction. Maybe a coincidence or maybe by design. I see that movement towards more state control being pushed by misunderstanding and fear. If you look at what Russia has been accused of, that is exactly it.

Mean while in the US the things that give people the chance at influencing our course are being demonized. Media, the systems of checks and balances, voting, unions, protesting, all are being portrayed as evil because they don't support the current monarch.

edit on 5-10-2018 by villagesmithie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

The blatant use of chemical weapons are in my opinion an act of war, but where would a war with Russia get us?
The sanctions must be working to some degree though which is why the kremlin are attacking as much as they can with cyber warfare. I think after the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and smaller conflicts elsewhere Russia are able to get away with this kind of behaviour because not to many countries have the stomach and the wallet for a massive war against Russian, and Putin's mad and stupid enough to possibly go nuclear to protect his interests (not his peoples)!!

edit on 5-10-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

War is not a good option in my opinion.

That is one of the reasons Russia's cyber approach is smart on their part. While the US continues to pour more money into military build up, the cyber approach is relatively inexpensive.

What brought down the Soviet Union? It wasn't a military attack it was the economic pressure of the arms race.

The US is on course to similar economic problems. Largely through our own stupidity but magnified by the confusion, discontent and lack of cooperation encouraged by Russia.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: villagesmithie

War is not a good option in my opinion.

That is one of the reasons Russia's cyber approach is smart on their part. While the US continues to pour more money into military build up, the cyber approach is relatively inexpensive.

What brought down the Soviet Union? It wasn't a military attack it was the economic pressure of the arms race.

The US is on course to similar economic problems. Largely through our own stupidity but magnified by the confusion, discontent and lack of cooperation encouraged by Russia.

I think you are correct in everything you say here.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Experts say the WADA perpetrators were Russian hackers operating under the banner "Fancy Bear," with several U.S. officials pointing fingers at the Russian government specifically.
www.cnbc.com...

'Igor, how many times did I tell you not to name our top-secret cyber-spy group 'Fancy Bear'??!?'

edit on 7-10-2018 by turbonium1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The UK and the EU are plotting massive cyber attacks, not against Russia, but against the US to heavily interfere in US elections in the hopes of getting a democrat majority in congress. After Kavanaugh, they smell their doom!

As a secondary objective, it is possible that such massive attacks would be directed against Russia in the coming days and weeks, to create a deception, or even after the US elections, in the event that their main OP fails and that the Republicans win.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
Yet you shoot your mouth off like some programmed sheep,

You see, that's not very nice. In fact, I am quite open to all possibilities. Just not fixed on a worldview that assumes the autocratic Russia is perpetually innocent.

You need to keep to the facts lest people will assume your only means of debate is to troll.

Where's the evidence you were born in Scotland? Don't worry, I believe you. Lighten up and

The beliefs of someone who can't differentiate between accusation and fact is of little consequence, made even more ludicrous when they say "keep to the facts"

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

No need to be so rude, get a grip.

Once again, because you continue to ignore it, there is tons of evidence pointing towards Russia in the Skripal case. What about the CCTV footage I asked you about?

On topic, do you have anything useful (or anything at all) to add about the article I linked to the Russian attempt to hack the OPCW?

You're deflecting (again) and no, there isn't tons of evidence, CCTV footage that shows the alleged assassins walking down a street is not evidence. Additionally, with the article you posted, from the BBC no less, I'll give it some credit, which is rare for me and BBC articles, it uses the word "allegations"

What, CCTV footage of the assassins one of whom has been identified as a GRU Colonel?

Bellingcat

Before this Putin claimed that they were just innocent civilian tourists. How gullible are you?

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

It looks like the second assassin is soon to be named in the Houses of Parliament, and will obliviously be a known GRU agent.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86

The UK and the EU are plotting massive cyber attacks, not against Russia, but against the US to heavily interfere in US elections

Care to maybe add some links to prove that made up story?

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Thanks. Or maybe he was just in Salisbury from Moscow to see the Cathedral spire? Funny that having come all that way he turned left out of the railway station towards Skripal's house rather than right towards the Cathedral though. Perhaps the Shell garage on Wilton Road was more of an attraction?

edit on 8-10-2018 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86

You do realise that the UK is leaving the EU, do you?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Correct:

www.bellingcat.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

The identity of the second would-be assassin is all over the media today, and firmly points the finger at the Kremlin, and GRU. There's just no hiding of the facts now and no way Putin and the Kremlin can blame Great Britian for any of this attempted novichok poisoning and subsequent murder. With this and the hacking attempts at the OPCW, and other places made public by other European countries, its making Putins intelligence agencies look like a skit from Monty Python.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join