It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Need Car Audio Advice

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

a reply to: BigDave-AR

I think you are mistaking voltage/wattage and amperage.

Also I've never heard of and electrical line bursting. Could you point me in that direction?

Burst in the timing since but why yes they can physically burst in a puff of smoke. Know I know all too well about amperage,voltage, power, resistance that are all interconnected and the longer the run the higher the loss from resistance the higher the heat loss and voltage drop causing overheating of the wire. Go look at an ampacity vs distance chart buddy.

Ampacity vs distance, that's a new one. It's VOLTAGE OVER DISTANCE.

What we are saying is that the wire causes more impedance the longer the run.

The wire run may cause more impedance, but dont take run length into that account.

If it has X amount of impedance at 1 foot, it has an exponential less amount at 10'.

Don't under-size the wire and burn your car up. Your wiring seems ok after looking at some DC schemes, so you're good there.

It's the wiring. Spend a few more dollars for the next gauge wiring.

I really hope you’re trolling or my faith in mankind just fell a couple notches.

Actually dave according to you chart he might be on to something. according to your chart if my alternator is pumping 300 amps through the initial 20ft wire then I would need a 4/0 gauge

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Also I've never heard of and electrical line bursting. Could you point me in that direction?

Burst in the timing since but why yes they can physically burst in a puff of smoke. Know I know all too well about amperage,voltage, power, resistance that are all interconnected and the longer the run the higher the loss from resistance the higher the heat loss and voltage drop causing overheating of the wire. Go look at an ampacity vs distance chart buddy.

The wire run may cause more impedance, but dont take run length into that account.

If it has X amount of impedance at 1 foot, it has an exponential less amount at 10'.

Don't under-size the wire and burn your car up. Your wiring seems ok after looking at some DC schemes, so you're good there.

I really hope you’re trolling or my faith in mankind just fell a couple notches.

Mine just fell as well, because i actually know what I'm talking about and you know about few wires that make things work. You don't understand electricity at all.
Please explain to me how resistance drops over length?

resistance increases with length, nice try.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Mine just fell as well, because i actually know what I'm talking about and you know about few wires that make things work. You don't understand electricity at all.

according to everything I read its actually the opposite. resistance actually increases over length

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Actually dave according to you chart he might be on to something. according to your chart if my alternator is pumping 300 amps through the initial 20ft wire then I would need a 4/0 gauge

wrong direction in wire gauge, bigger number = smaller wire.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

in one of your previous posts you said it decreases, you might have mistyped it

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

oooooooh lol right

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   

looks like 1/0 will be over kill big time. i knew i was looking at something wrong

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   

That would be constant power handling with a solid test tone I doubt you’d trip a 175amp breaker listening to real world music also the battery helps, I run a 125 on my run to the battery and have never had it trip or the cable even get warm. Mine is a little closer to 2/0 so if you want to be on the safe side you could use your savings on the cap to bump up to 2/0. My issue with dude is him acting like distance is irrevelevant.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   

in one of your previous posts you said it decreases, you might have mistyped it

Well I was wrong in that post. resistance increases the longer the lineset.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

wait dave. 4/0 is bigger than 1/0. i do need 4/0

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   

a reply to: Vector99

wait dave. 4/0 is bigger than 1/0. i do need 4/0

See my last post you won’t be drawing 300amps continuous.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

That would be constant power handling with a solid test tone I doubt you’d trip a 175amp breaker listening to real world music also the battery helps, I run a 125 on my run to the battery and have never had it trip or the cable even get warm. Mine is a little closer to 2/0 so if you want to be on the safe side you could use your savings on the cap to bump up to 2/0. My issue with dude is him acting like distance is irrevelevant.

yeah good points

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Until you drop under 0 and then it goes up 4/0>1/0. You’re the one who claimed distance of the run doesn’t matter and stated that resistance DECREASES exponentially with distance. You had it twisted to begin with.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well, the last comment I guess I have here is don't undersize the wiring. That's where I was going from the start.

1/0 wire on a 300amp is too small.

Don't mind me though.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Until you drop under 0 and then it goes up 4/0>1/0. You’re the one who claimed distance of the run doesn’t matter and stated that resistance DECREASES exponentially with distance. You had it twisted to begin with.

where did I say resistance decreases? I looked back after called out and the only thing I said close to that is voltage drops.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   

where did I say resistance decreases? I looked back after called out and the only thing I said close to that is voltage drops.

Riddle me what this means:

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Meant to say more. will fix it.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Meant to say more. will fix it.

Okay how about we reset (I’ll try to forget you said the current carrying of 1/0 is 150 whether it’s 10’ or 100’) keep in mind the power draw from the amps is very dynamic and the average amp draw will be well below 300amps hence why I said he’d be golden with 1/0 or 2/0 as long as the runs are =/>20’ listening to music also all 1/0 is built the same audio high strand count cabling is generally oversized the AWG standards along with having higher current carrying due to the higher strand count as DC voltage travels via the “skin” of the wire. Also the 150 amps is for constant current capacity @100c it can take MUCH higher peaks in current. I apologize for not explaining myself better and getting bent out of shape.
edit on 10/5/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   

(I’ll try to forget you said the current carrying of 1/0 is 150 whether it’s 10’ or 100’)

I said ampacity, NOT current. The ampacity of a wire doesn't change based on it's length, it's rated a certain amount of amps at 1", 1', or 1 mile. The ampacity of a wire DOESN'T vary.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Wait, you know the difference between amplifier and amperes right?

If you don't that would explain the language barrier.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join