It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We Headed For 'Automated Luxury Communism'?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
www.google.com...

Are We Headed For 'Automated Luxury Communism'?

While improvements in machine learning, artificial intelligence, big data, and robot automation could mean huge advances in medicine, science, commerce and human understanding, it’s also undeniable that there will be consequences as well...

...But what if the prognosis weren’t all doom and gloom?  What if all this automation were instead to provide so much luxury that we enter a post-work era, when humans are required to do very little labor and machines provide everything we need?

The catch of course is like with all forms of communism, it kills innovation, entrepreneurship, and breeds stagnation.

Without profits — or some other strong inherent incentive — what motivation is there to innovate, to adapt, to improve? Many historians agree that communism in Western Europe failed due to stagnation and a failure to adapt, because its constituents were not motivated to produce more than the status quo in any area.

But what if an "incentive" plan where built into this technology driven luxury communismitc system? Instead of everyone being made equal in outcome; have tiered access to the luxury created by the new world economy. The more you contribute to the collective the more luxury you have access to.

Sure that kinda sounds like capitalism; but today our capitalistic system isn't nearly perfect. Those who contribute the most dont always get they highest compansation. Example; I like a good movie as much as the next guy; but it can't be argued that a movie star makes a disproportionate income compared to their contribution.

What if big data where used to really figure out the proper access to luxury as a function of ones true contribution to society as compared to everyone else?

True such a big data set isnt currently available to make such an incentive system possible and fair; but so to does the technology to automate everything not yet exist.... but if these things did exist would the luxury communismitc system work and would it be everything the communists always wanted?

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

The catch of course is like with all forms of communism, it kills innovation, entrepreneurship, and breeds stagnation.

I'm not convinced this is necessarily true, with the current social system and the monkey mind running things in the world yes.

But higher values also create as well. Did Tesla create to get rich? Apparently not but lucky for us someone else stole his ideas.

The real answer you may be looking at here is what if we developed a different cultural reward mechanism that wasn't based on the base mammalian instincts but rather of higher values?
edit on 2-10-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

The real answer you may be looking at here is what if we developed a different cultural reward mechanism that wasn't based on the base mammalian instincts but rather of higher values?

Yea I'd go with that; can big data and technology be used to create a cultural reward mechanism based on higher values? ... or if not "higher values", what if it was used to create a more economical ROI for all. What you get out is directly proportional to what you put into society?

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

You're thinking is limited to the mammalian mindset or what I call the monkey mind.

Do you really think capitalism or slavery built the ancient megalith's??

Or was it a bigger idea?

Why do we need big data if we're not mining things for better quantifiable results?

What if there's a better way, a different attitude or a new mythology?

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I am a mammal; so your critisum is accurate; I am constrained by a mammalian mindset. One where I place my own survival a head of the survival of others. When talking about economics that translates to wanting more stuff than ever one else.... but such is the human condition.

It would be great if we thought a better way; where we humans evolve to having a different more altruistic and/or less selfish attitude. But how do we get there from here? It seems the rise of technology and its use to curb our more mammalian mindset is more likely than us changing it all together.

Or perhaps my vision is a stepping stone to yours. Where we all need to feel fairly treated before we collectively decide to pursue a higher mind of living. Until the collective fairness there will always be the potential for others to do an end-run-around and so most of us will keep our mammalian mindset as a defence.

Pre-fudalisum built the ancient megaliths. In a world where speritialty and basic survival were indistinguishable; their where still leaders of man and those who where little more than slaves. I can't be sure of course but I have to believe those leaders where as flawed and mammalian as we are today ... otherwise we should have evolved past that back than with them.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Why are we so stuck on trying to drag the failed relics of the Industrial Revolution into our future?

Communism will not move us forward because it requires human labor. Capitalism will eventually morph into a constantly updated multi-ledger system that is infinitely scalable.

At this stage of development our basic needs will most likely be taken care of. We would be practically immortal or significantly decreasing the effects of aging. We will be healthier and millions of us will live strewn about the solar system. Communism can't facilitate that.

edit on 2 10 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

Wrote an entire essay about exactly this: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2 10 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

But what if an "incentive" plan where built into this technology driven luxury communismitc system? Instead of everyone being made equal in outcome; have tiered access to the luxury created by the new world economy. The more you contribute to the collective the more luxury you have access to.

I don't see how this is any different from capitalism. You are rewarded based on the value of your labor.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
It sounds a lot like a guilded cage and a terrible fate for humans.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   

The " New " and Improved " Communism ? Might as Well Invent a New Way to Stay Relevant while Trying to Convince People to Enslave Themselves...........Geez ......

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
So for this notion to even begin, would everybody have a living compensation just for living? For being alive? Me Mr. T has no work available in this workless society so what do I do. If there was no ''need'' to do anything in this paradise why would I do anything. If there was no work how would I go about getting more at all.

If I were a bad guy, rather than a lazy good guy I would get more by taking it. If I were a smart bad guy I would invent systems that helped me to take more. It would be dog eat dog. None of any of these social systems we see so much of have managed to create a system that seeks out these ''bad guys'' and keeps them from taking unduly from the rest of us.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   
You can’t run away from the monkey inside no matter how many books you read, what god you bow too, there is no greater values then filling a empty stomach, warming a cold body and reproducing.

I’ll take my base mammalian instincts over some technocratic communism any day.

a reply to: toysforadults

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Communism in Western Europe?

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I kinda like the idea of the post work era, but I think that we should all be encouraged to use our extra time to look at ourselves honestly, and try to better ourselves as people, maybe even a global meditation minute, where once our twice a day we all stop for 1 minute and meditate, then carry on with our day.

Maybe this wake and bake wasn't a good idea 😐

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Similar to 20th century Nazism. Promotions and perks were given for contributions to the Reich. Probably the reason why so many technological innovations came out of it.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
So for this notion to even begin, would everybody have a living compensation just for living? For being alive? Me Mr. T has no work available in this workless society so what do I do. If there was no ''need'' to do anything in this paradise why would I do anything. If there was no work how would I go about getting more at all.

If I were a bad guy, rather than a lazy good guy I would get more by taking it. If I were a smart bad guy I would invent systems that helped me to take more. It would be dog eat dog. None of any of these social systems we see so much of have managed to create a system that seeks out these ''bad guys'' and keeps them from taking unduly from the rest of us.

There doesnt neccessaly need to be a access to the luxury simply for living. Basic needs (simple food, shelter) could be the first tier of luxury and one would need to contribute something in order to achieve it. No contributions no access.

Also this is a post work society; so Mr T would find another way to contribute. Mr T writes a book for others to enjoy for example. He doesn't have too, but if he doesn't find a way to contribute he doesn't have access to the luxury of society.

This needed to contribute insures continued innovation. The better you write you book, the more you entertain others, the more you have contributed ... just as one example.

In post work society contribution becomes something other than the toil we are currently using. Again just as an I thought out example; having and raising enough children to further society could be a contribution ... having to many children that they put to much bearden on society would be a decrease in ones calculated contribution.

Strides in philosophy; the sciences and ect can be seen as contributions. Helping your elderly neighbor walk down the stairs could be a contribution.

It could even be more pressing that one must contribute. If access to luxury was a function of ones true contribution to society as compared to everyone else ... than mathematically speaking there would also be those why are contributing the least. Those people no mater how much they may contribute, being in the bottom bucket could find them selves with no access.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
It sounds a lot like a guilded cage and a terrible fate for humans.

It does start sounding like a dystopia after a while.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I don't see how this is any different from capitalism. You are rewarded based on the value of your labor.

Capitalism involves more than just rewarding labor (individual property rights for example) and doesn't require proper compensation for that labor.

In this society there is no individual property rights; the luxury of society is owned collectively by all in society. It is acces to society's luxury that is given or taken away based on ones true level of contribution.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: FinallyAwake
I kinda like the idea of the post work era, but I think that we should all be encouraged to use our extra time to look at ourselves honestly, and try to better ourselves as people, maybe even a global meditation minute, where once our twice a day we all stop for 1 minute and meditate, then carry on with our day.

Maybe this wake and bake wasn't a good idea 😐

If society deems personal meditation as an important enhancement to society than that can be one of the ways one contributes.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
Similar to 20th century Nazism. Promotions and perks were given for contributions to the Reich. Probably the reason why so many technological innovations came out of it.

Exactly; but instead of a small group of lunatics deciding what is contribution and what are the perks; technology allows all of society to be in on the decision making and perks are handed out fairly and not just to those whom the Reich likes the most.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
And meanwhile people suffer in dead end underpayed jobs and can't even afford a house and a decent meal while working 60 hours a week?
Unless some sort of revolution: not in a million years.
Remember that TPTB are way to conservative and want to keep status quo at all cost.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join