It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Need To Get A New Phone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
My old LG flip-top finally died.
It was not fancy at all by modern standards.
I need to get a "smart" phone for my new job.
I have no idea what the difference is between an iPhone, an Android, or anything else available.
Everything I have researched says that each is better than the other.
It's just about impossible to find a cheap old clam anymore and they are approaching the antiquated zone.
Who's got the most bang for the buck?

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Completely subjective question, i personally like iphone

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I've looked into this a little bit.

No way in hell I'm paying a grand for a damn apple X.

Apple was way ahead of everyone a few years ago but today they are nothing special.
Even Samsung is overpriced in my opinion.

There are several other brands that make excellent phones for much less money.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Motorola would be the phone i would buy other than iphone, and i dont blame you i would never pay that for a phone either i have iphone 7

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Husband has a Note 8 mainly because he likes the stylus and note-taking functions on it.

Basically do your research, decide what you want in a phone, see what's available and then look for the best deals and specials you can get on it since they are mostly all so very similar in function anymore.
edit on 2-10-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Definitely don't get the new iPhone unless you like wasting money on the new shiny fad. If you're going for iPhone, opt for something older that won't break the bank. Chances are it'll do everything required for your work.

Depending on how computer literate you are, iPhone may be easier to adapt to. I find the people who prefer Android are somewhat tech savvy.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Any cheap (100-200), android phone is best. Its easy to transfer files from computer to phone. Almost like a USB.
Iphone requires itunes and only transfers if you have itunes.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I like iPhones. They are easy to use and are made by an American company. Samsung is based off of Apple’s IP stolen by the Chinese so I wouldn’t support Samsung for doing the wrong thing. Never reward bad behavior.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
You could just deliver all your correspondence(s) personally .. .. as needed.

Smart...

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Avoid the i-phone like the plague and get a android phone , one that you can change the battery in and will not be out of date in a year like the iphone x that my sister got last year for $ 1500 yip uk prices are 30% dearer ,

Nokia do good cheap phones 4g lte $ 100 or so and parts if you break should be looked into , but dude that lg clamshell was so 2004
you like getting your moneys worth

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I'm going to have to replace my Iphone 6 soon I hate replacing them and have only done it 3 times in the last 10 years, was talking with my brother who is an average user his current phone is a Samsung but he has had Iphones before. I asked him he said he preferred the Iphone among other things he says his charger connector is loose and he has to mess with it to get it to start charging. My daughter has an Iphone 8 and loves it We are notoriously tough on phones we travel for a living in and out of locations etc. Even though I had mine in an Otterbox case I must broke it some how was taking it out of the case to clean it and the phone came apart like a deck of cards LOL I smooshed it back together but know its on its last leg.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Alternatively, try a carrier pigeon.

As for smart phones, I appreciate the OP needs it for work, but do I fancy carrying an all-purpose mini lap-top in my pocket for times when I'm not on a lap-top or desk-top?

No. Because they are the times when I need release from the bloody lap-top or desk-top. I WILL retain my humanity, dammit!

***shakes fist at nobody in particular***

edit on 2-10-2018 by ConfusedBrit because: more drivel

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ConfusedBrit

Eh, I finally wound up with a smart phone.

It generally does not consume me. In fact, I don't even carry mine much of the time.

We carry my husband's when we're out, and it mostly stays in his pocket.

Neanderthal of us, and primitive to talk to each other face to face instead of texting across the table, I know.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It isn't required to get an iPhone. I have an iPhone 6 with a very large screen because I like to do gaming and watch shows and surf the web on my phone all the time. The large screen is great. There are so many situations where you are using your fingers to navigate and need more room, or just want a bigger screen.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
dp
edit on 02pmTue, 02 Oct 2018 22:27:53 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
My old LG flip-top finally died.
It was not fancy at all by modern standards.
I need to get a "smart" phone for my new job.
I have no idea what the difference is between an iPhone, an Android, or anything else available.
Everything I have researched says that each is better than the other.
It's just about impossible to find a cheap old clam anymore and they are approaching the antiquated zone.
Who's got the most bang for the buck?

Moto G5 Plus is a great phone, and not expensive

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
iphones are rubbish and not worth the ridiculous amount of money they're expecting for them... look into huawei phones, MUCH better phones, much better specs and overall probably the best phone i've ever owned.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   

A decent cheap smart phone is the Samsung S5 and it isn't a brick sized thing either. It'll do whatever the clam did and you can add a 128GB SD card for music or movies. The speakers aren't bad and it's waterproof as well. $135 on Amazon. I've got the S9 after having Samsungs, HTCs and Nokias and prefer it over all previous phones barring the legendary Nokia 3210. I don't like iTunes so won't have iPhones.

Stick to a major brand for a better class of snooper. With Samsungs, LGs and iPhones you'll only have the NSA and private companies storing everything you ever do. If you go for a cheap Chinese android, you'll have the NSA, private companies AND the Chinese storing your data!! I bought one off Amazon years back and it was found to be stuffed with enough malware to make the news.

ETA - have you noticed everyone always thinks their own phone "is the best?" Me included...

edit on 10.3.2018 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyteeny
iphones are rubbish and not worth the ridiculous amount of money they're expecting for them... look into huawei phones, MUCH better phones, much better specs and overall probably the best phone i've ever owned.

Never heard of them but at first look might be an issue of which ones can be used on my ATT plan in the US. Going to research it more though after your ringing endorsement.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

A decent cheap smart phone is the Samsung S5 and it isn't a brick sized thing either. It'll do whatever the clam did and you can add a 128GB SD card for music or movies. The speakers aren't bad and it's waterproof as well. $135 on Amazon. I've got the S9 after having Samsungs, HTCs and Nokias and prefer it over all previous phones barring the legendary Nokia 3210. I don't like iTunes so won't have iPhones.

Stick to a major brand for a better class of snooper. With Samsungs, LGs and iPhones you'll only have the NSA and private companies storing everything you ever do. If you go for a cheap Chinese android, you'll have the NSA, private companies AND the Chinese storing your data!! I bought one off Amazon years back and it was found to be stuffed with enough malware to make the news.

ETA - have you noticed everyone always thinks their own phone "is the best?" Me included...

Used to think that way but in my old age like trying new stuff

Have no doubt that the only reason I continue to get an Iphone it was the first one I got so everything is transferable easily and havent had any major issues, but Im open to suggestions. Like with my Ipad used it alot for work and personal use etc. Then got Fire HD tablet it does everything I need it to do at a fraction of the cost, rarely even touch my Ipad anymore would love to find the same in a smart phone, definitely going to research it more before my phone goes kaput

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join