It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Have Connected The Brains of 3 People, Enabling Them to Share Thoughts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Well, this is a little scary. Kind of reminds me of the Borg and the collective in the making.

Neuroscientists have successfully hooked up a three-way brain connection to allow three people share their thoughts – and in this case, play a Tetris-style game. The team thinks this wild experiment could be scaled up to connect whole networks of people, and yes, it's as weird as it sounds.

www.sciencealert.com...

Yeah, I don't see this going well. Imagine your love one reading your mind, well, except women, they can already read us guys brains, because, after all , we are simple creatures.

The researchers behind the new system have dubbed it BrainNet, and say it could eventually be used to connect many different minds together, even across the web. But apart from opening up strange new methods of communication, BrainNet could actually teach us more about how the human brain functions on a deeper level. "We present BrainNet which, to our knowledge, is the first multi-person non-invasive direct brain-to-brain interface for collaborative problem solving," write the researchers. "The interface allows three human subjects to collaborate and solve a task using direct brain-to-brain communication."

We are doomed !!!!!!

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
How long until one of those three people claim one of the others mentally raped them with bad thoughts?

(sorry, couldn't help it considering the path we are all on these days).

In all seriousness, I wonder if this really is a good idea. We have issues with the race to thought police as it is, do we really want to make it actually possible?

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot

We are doomed !!!!!!

You are very correct my friend.

This is some scary science fiction stuff!

I wonder how the evil minds of the world are gonna use this to wipe out the mankind.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
How long until one of those three people claim one of the others mentally raped them with bad thoughts?

(sorry, couldn't help it considering the path we are all on these days).

In all seriousness, I wonder if this really is a good idea. We have issues with the race to thought police as it is, do we really want to make it actually possible?

Oh, I hear ya ! I mentally undress and have sex with women all day.

I think we have already arrived to the point were they can profile you without having to read your mind.
The thought police are in place, already doing they're job.

Just look at the current events and top topics. They don't match up.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I will take a hard pass on that... I fully understand how warped I am at a certain level and nobody needs to ever see that.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

I was thinking the exact same thing!

You raped my thoughts!

or did I rape your thoughts!?

Im guilty until proven innocent!!

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

originally posted by: Groot

We are doomed !!!!!!

You are very correct my friend.

This is some scary science fiction stuff!

I wonder how the evil minds of the world are gonna use this to wipe out the mankind.

LOL ! We are just hearing of this, I think it has been going on for awhile.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Who knows where this could lead. Good or bad, it is what it is. Trying to stop it now seems like combing your hair in a wind storm. Cloning and brain interfacing and virtual reality and artificial intelligence and who knows what else is right around the corner. Kinda makes the importance of Kavanaugh seem irrelevant huh?

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Sounds like Maniac on Netflix.

Well on our way to the hive mind.
a reply to: Groot

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

It seems like half the country’s brains have all been wired together already.

I honestly can’t see any harm coming from this. It’s just daisy chaing human brains together. I wonder if they are using RCA’s or USB?

I’ll start worrying when they get to bluetooth.
edit on 1-10-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Is this just the sequel to centipede?

Seriously, if my brain was connected to two other brains I'm going to be the only brain left in the morning.

The other two would just off themselves.

Doesn't sound like a great idea at all.

~puzzled~

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This is actually very cool and could be a Holy Grail some day for effectively communicating with the uncommunicative/unable to communicate such as mutes, catatonics, and people in vegetative states.

I can see this being a massive benefit to people wrangling pulling the plug on a vegetative loved one if they can get in their mind and actually speak to them. As it stands, this is nowhere near possible yet, but these baby steps are quite profound regardless.

At present, this is all they can do, according to the article in the OP (way to sidestep the pertinent info needed for context, OP)

In the experiment set up by the scientists, two 'senders' were connected to EEG electrodes and asked to play a Tetris-style game involving falling blocks. They had to decide whether each block needed rotating or not.

To do this, they were asked to stare at one of two flashing LEDs at either side of the screen – one flashing at 15 Hz and the other at 17 Hz – which produced different signals in the brain that the EEG could pick up on.

These choices were then relayed to a single 'receiver' through a TMS cap that could generate phantom flashes of light in the receiver's mind, known as phosphenes. The receiver couldn't see the whole game area, but had to rotate the falling block if a light flash signal was sent.

Nobody's going to be reading minds with this any time soon, contrary to what OP would have people believe.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
“Imagine your loved one reading your thoughts”

Oh hell no!!

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Think about coma patients, an quadriplegics, and even emotional and mental disorders could benefit.

Then you have " No SECRET left behind " police, where everyone gets " mind SNiffed "

Then you have implanted memory syndrome, true multiple personality disorder, and body switching

Seems for each of the last two there are equal and opposite reactions... Who'd a thunkit.

---

I for one, bow down to own soon to be robotic , ermm, I mean, mechanical overlords, and offer triple A batteries!
edit on 1-10-2018 by Tranceopticalinclined because: bow down as in duck and cover as those Triple A's explode@

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Gee, cats knew how to do this for eons. Humans have lost this trait, so now scientists are trying to reinstate the ability, the governments will jump at this, to make us into puppets that listen to some central person or computer.

Most people would not even consider investigating whom is funding this research and cannot wrap their minds of how it could be used to control us.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
This is probably how the Borg started.

Just saying.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   

We are doomed !!!!!!

We already live in a "Connect, or Become Irrelevant" world. It's not about how you connect to Facebook. It's all about being on Facebook and other social media.

Living in ATS we are dinosaurs. Fortunately, someone wants to recreate the mammoth.

We are Jurassic Park.
edit on 1-10-2018 by Namdru because: being about --> about being on

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I wonder if people could share dreams this way?

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guiltyguitarist
“Imagine your loved one reading your thoughts”

Oh hell no!!

I must have different thoughts than most.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

Think about coma patients, an quadriplegics, and even emotional and mental disorders could benefit.

^^^^^ that would be amazing. Possibly having the ability to communicate with someone in a vegetative state. Besides finally finding out many things that have baffled doctors .

Are they alert? Are they lucid ? Can they hear you? Can they feel pain?

It could also relieve the anguish and burden placed on family members .

You could ask your loved one how they want to proceed.

Should the plug be pulled or not ?

edit on 1-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join