It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fricken high school dress code hypocrisy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Uniforms are just that uniform. It's a method of control ie. "you will wear what we tell you or else". Just like in the forces, wear your uniform correctly or else. Obey, wear the uniform so you all look the same and there can be NO individuality.
As for my wife.
When we were courting I snuck a look into her bottom drawer in her bedroom, she had a policewoman's uniform, a nurses uniform, a navy uniform, hell I thought if she's had that many jobs I had second thoughts about marrying her. Till she explained.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Don't fib, we know you were looking in the top drawer too!

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
I could tell you about a risque parcel my daughter had.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
In our day, we had school uniform; dark coloured trousers, leather shoes, shirt, blazer, tie. I believe there was supposed to be a school cap but no one wore it for fear of looking like something out of "The 5000 fingers of Dr. T". It was too hot to wear in Summer, and too cold in Winter; requiring to be augmented with a skiing jacket, gloves and optional head-gear like a balaclava. Army cadets wore black so it freaked out the teachers when they wore their military uniforms.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Yeah, I was in school HS in mid 90's and our girls athletic shorts (for team sports, especially track and cross country) were about as short as you can get w/o showing private parts - they were MUCH shorter than the THEN cheerleading skirts, but a few years later, those got jacked up about 2-3 inches and went from being pleated to straight cut, so they were SUPER revealing while sitting, bending over, etc. Full shot of the "bloomers" when they sat down and they were allowed to wear them in class on game days. I guess it helps instill a "school spirit". I can say they were one heck of a distraction to teenage boys with a healthy level of hormones.

I have to say that I am a strong supporter of a STRICT dress code in schools, public or private. School is a place for learning, not promoting your body, getting attention from the opposite sex and toying with boys purposefully by the way they sit (oh and teachers, that seemed to happen often and when called out by students, it was harassment).

The thing is a guy can't wear a shirt with the sleeves cut off (not a tank top), just sleeves cut even with side of shirt. That shows off their arms and some guys are proud of the effort they put in to build their bodies - and so do girls, but there seems to be a double standard in this area. How can showing arms (no armpit hair was hanging out or anything) be considered offensive? Luckily we were allowed to wear these while in the gym, at football, baseball, wrestling and track practice but in the school, nope, sent home with a warning, second time discipline.

I wonder how much different a school's atmosphere would be if they changed to a dress code and I don't mean a catholic school girl dress code, that is just as bad IMO. Dress in professional attire (pants, a skirt no higher than the knee, button up shirt that isn't 3 sizes too small and buttoned modestly and maybe a blazer). This type of dress isn't that expensive, especially when it is a uniform for the school, it is bought in bulk and is less expensive than the clothing kids wear anyway.

This would also REALLY help disadvantaged children who don't have the money for name brand clothing. It would help their self esteem b/c there are always jerks who make fun of what people wear or don't wear. It helps create a cohesiveness within the student body (literally and figuratively). If the students want to show their individuality then they can change clothing when off school grounds.

I also think there should be pre-approved haircuts/styles (no crazy colorings, huge spiked do's, etc) as well as piercings and tattoos while participating in school activities (sports).Once out of school (graduation) they are free to do as they wish.

Now I'm sure some will say part of all of this is over the top, but I'm actually really curious as to how it would effect the environment within the school. From the studies I've seen in many schools in Philly that went from no personal appearance or dress codes, to very strict codes (basically what I described) the students reported to actually really like it after a couple weeks and the school ran much smoother, less fights, less discipline problems, more school spirit, higher attendance to school events and better grades. IIRC the girls were the ones who said they liked it the most even though they were the ones who fought it the hardest, even some walking out and threatening to transfer schools.

If our country was serious about education, they would take a good hard look at this and maybe start implementing these changes in baby steps like each quarter, semester, or each year.

Just think about the anxiety a HS teen (especially girls) goes through if they feel they don't have anything they look 'cute' in. That leads to all kinds of issues from skipping classes to entire days, fights if people say something, depression, etc. Give them a standard uniform and all those issues go away.

Anyway, don't girl have a 'think' for guys in uniform & visa-versa?

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
Yeah, I was in school HS in mid 90's and our girls athletic shorts (for team sports, especially track and cross country) were about as short as you can get w/o showing private parts - they were MUCH shorter than the THEN cheerleading skirts, but a few years later, those got jacked up about 2-3 inches and went from being pleated to straight cut, so they were SUPER revealing while sitting, bending over, etc. Full shot of the "bloomers" when they sat down and they were allowed to wear them in class on game days. I guess it helps instill a "school spirit". I can say they were one heck of a distraction to teenage boys with a healthy level of hormones.

Sounds terrible, I would have hated that high school.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Yup its ok to sexualize cheer leaders but if your daughter wears ripped jeans you can forget about sending her to yale. Schools have been run like prisons for a while. People never had a voice before. Now we have social media. Dont you just love american ideology.
edit on 7-10-2018 by JourneymanWelder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: JAGStorm
and another female teacher with triple D breast that doesn't wear a bra!!!

Oh, the humanity.

I know man. Where were these naughty teachers when I went to school. All my teachers looked like fossils.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join