It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Wead Regrets Going Public With Bush Tapes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Doug Wead, who last week made public secret tapes he made of conversations with GW Bush during his campaign for the Presidency, says that he "regrets" the move. The tapes were released the same week that Wead's book was released. He has been roundly criticized from all sides for his callous opportunism and deception. He has directed his attorneys to have the proceeds from his book given to charity.

www.foxnews.com
An old friend of President Bush who secretly recorded their private conversations and released them to the media said he has regrets and is turning the tapes over to Bush.

Doug Wead allowed journalists to hear and broadcast the tapes in the past week as he promoted his new book on presidential parents. But he said he canceled plans to be on "Hardball" on MSNBC Tuesday night to talk about his regrets because "it would only add to the distraction I have caused to the president's important and historic work."

"Contrary to a statement that I made to the New York Times, I have come to realize that personal relationships are more important than history," Wead wrote in a letter to the show's host, Chris Matthews, that MSNBC released to the public on Wednesday. "I am asking my attorney to direct any future proceeds from the book to charity and to find the best way to vet these tapes and get them back to the president to whom they belong. History can wait."

On the tapes, recorded over the course of the two years before Bush became the Republican presidential nominee, Bush discusses strategy for his presidential run and appears to acknowledge past drug use. He says he will refuse to answer questions about using '___', coc aine and marijuana because "I don't want any kid doing what I tried to do 30 years ago."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have to say that I was really stumped by this one. What kind of friend secretly tapes your conversations, saves them until it's time for some publicity and releases them to the public, knowing that the contents would be sensitive, to say the least? I guess we could contact Linda Tripp for insight into that logic.

The truth is, however, that Bush comes off sounding like a sincere human being struggling with his ambitions, his frailties and his ethics--just the sort of impression you get from watching him go about his daily work. Maybe Doug Wead can learn as much from his mistakes as the President has.

Related News Links:
www.theglobeandmail.com

[edit on 05/2/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
It’s very simple Grady he had the idea at the time to use them as collateral later on. But then it makes not sense to me, if he wanted to cause damage to Bush he would have done the espousing of the tapes during the elections times.

Right now to me they are amusing but that is all the are just amusing.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I really believe it was an orchrestrated public relations event.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I think it may have been actually, a strategic move in part by Bush or mabe just by Wead. Bush is currently visiting with leaders of European countries and well you know drugs are more prevailant in that part of the world. Society over there in general is more acceptable to this sort of behavior. They all loved Clinton and now Bush may appear to be more down to earth then previously thought. It shows he is just a man like the rest of them. I`m not saying Bush actually planned this all out but it is possible Wead was going to release the tapes for publicity at some point in time and changed his mind. Mabe he told bush about it because he was sorry and they planned this all out mabe in part for some sort of European sympathy. Mabe Wead was in it all alone. Mabe Bush went to Europe for some good ol chronic. What do you think?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I think Im now sick of the word Maybe. It really sucks that hes planning on donating the money for charity after all that hard thinking and writing just because of some stupid tapes. He may as well kill himself

[edit on 23-2-2005 by CmptrN3rd5]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Interesting. Just seen this on the daily show. If this was a PR stunt it was ingenious well beyond the scope of anything I've seen from this administration. That would mean that Wead being sorry and giving the money to charity would be the cover for the American People.

I don't watch the news much. Did this get any decent air time either in the states or elsewhere? I mean wouldn't this alienate his "values" crowd that alledgedly voted him back in?

Interesting story. Already knew he smoked so that's not too interesting.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
D.Wead may have just got himself in a tight spot so to say. Remember all of those microbiologists that wound up in all sorts of accidents and muders? It would not surprise me if he does'nt wind up dead like them. I can't say with 100% certenity, but I think someone in the Bush admin. might have hand a hand in those and if that is true, Wead just peed in his own whisky. His actions were a sure bet if he wanted to get the Prez. upset.

new topics

top topics

join