It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pressure Cookers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
So, on a lark, the other day I went to town and bought a small electric pressure cooker (instant pot) (it's part of a larger story, but I won't bore you with that now). Now, I have other traditional stove top pressure cookers which I use for canning (mostly), but this is the first one of these new fangled electric ones I've bought. This thing is the most remarkable cooking device I've ever owned, hands down! I'm actually stunned at what it will do.

Back in the 90's, the inventor Ron Popiel (of RonCo fame) marketed some sort of a roaster device and his catch phrase was "Set it...and Forget it". Well, I never bought that, but I did remember the phrase. Ever since, I've been searching for a device which was truly capable of just that...setting it and forgetting it. This thing is it!

So let's see, since I bought it a week ago yesterday I've made the following:

1. Sweet Italian sausage, green peppers, tomato, onions and Pheasant breasts
2. Deconstructed Shish Kabobs with beef ribeye, Jerk seasoning and cinammon
3. German Pork Chops with sauerkraut, caraway, garlic and apples
4. More Sweet Italian sausage, tomato sauce, onion and garlic
5. German Sauerbraten (marinated beef, vinegar, ginger snaps and mustard)
6. Mexican chicken breast with serrano, jalapeno, salsa, onions and garlic (for tacos)

Every single thing I've made in this pot has come out absolutely FANTASTIC!! I mean, almost too good to be true. And, the pot truly is "Set it, and forget it". It's FAST too. Just stick the stuff in there and it's done perfectly in about 15 minutes. Ordinarily dishes which would take hours to prepare are done in just minutes.

When I got the thing I was mostly hoping just for a time saver. When I get home it's usually late and there's chores to do which makes it even later. Prepping a big meal really isn't in the cards most nights. I'd hoped for something which would prepare even "just average, but edible" food. Wow...boy have I been surprised. The food which comes out of this thing is FAR from 'just average'...it's AWESOME!

The German pork chops with sauerkraut, caraway and apples in particular were the best pork chops I think I've ever eaten in my life! I have a love-hate thing with sauerkraut, but I gobbled this stuff up like there was no tomorrow! The thing almost hurts my feelings in some ways; I've got all these cooking gadgets and with this thing you just toss everything in there, put the lid on it and push 'start'. The only other thing you need to do (and quickly) is get a fork, spoon and plate...and be hungry! (note - no knife required!).

I am impressed, and thought I would share.
edit on 9/29/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I love crock pots and tossing everything in there, but have never owned a pressure cooker before.
I was looking at a stove top one yesterday and am glad I didn't buy it now after reading this.

From my limited understanding of pressure cookers,the idea is you don't open it until it is done.
After reading this,I am going to go with an electric one and my mind is made up.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing.

Ya know... I can't cook myself... but the way you describe this pressure cooker, I almost feel like I might be capable of pulling it off!!

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Pressure cookers rule. You need to get a bigger one if you are feeding a big family.

I can put a solidly frozen 8 lb turkey breast in mine and in less than an hour, and be eating a super moist turkey dinner. It's amazing. I don't even bother thawing things anymore.

Wait till you make beans in it.

I can't reccomend a better kitchen gadget than this.
edit on 29-9-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

There are plenty of Facebook groups that deal solely in recipes for electric pressure cookers, it's about the only reason I have gotten on Facebook within the last couple of years. My instant pot and air fryer are my favorite cooking accessories apart from my grill.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Pressure cookers rule. You need to get a bigger one if you are feeding a big family.

I can put a solidly frozen 8 lb turkey breast in mine and in less than an hour, and be eating a super moist turkey dinner. It's amazing. I don't even bother thawing things anymore.

Remember growing up and Mom telling us to not touch the pressure cooker LOL while she was cooking. We were notorious for spending all day outside as kids and coming in ready for whatever she had on the menu.

Ive never used one but my Mom and Grandmother both used their stovetop versions for the best green beans Ive ever had,and occasionally black eyed peas or pinto beans. They were so good, gets the flavor of the salt pork or ham like they set all day simmering. Now all I need is a good piece or two of cornbread and a slice or two of raw onion and thats a one of my favorite meals. Whats the brand? might have to get one of these with fall coming up.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Remember growing up and Mom telling us to not touch the pressure cooker LOL while she was cooking. We were notorious for spending all day outside as kids and coming in ready for whatever she had on the menu.

Ive never used one but my Mom and Grandmother both used their stovetop versions for the best green beans Ive ever had,and occasionally black eyed peas or pinto beans. They were so good, gets the flavor of the salt pork or ham like they set all day simmering. Now all I need is a good piece or two of cornbread and a slice or two of raw onion and thats a one of my favorite meals. Whats the brand? might have to get one of these with fall coming up.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Got the jumbo sized Instant Pot last Christmas and we've used it at least twice a week ever since. Everything from pot roast, beef stew, rice, mashed potatoes, artichokes etc. in a fraction of the time it used to take. I even quit buying packs of frozen burritos for work and batch my own killer chile colorado burritos with it. I'll never go back to the old way!

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

was just looking into the instant pot one... it's even got a setting for porridge lol
not to mention cake!! very versatile!

i'm getting one asap!

I'm assuming you can make fried rice with egg in this thing too.

edit on 3748x6737America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago9 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

edit on 3251x6732America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago9 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

They come with a nice basic recipe booklet but you can find a recipe for virtually anything online. If I want to try something new I usually just voice command on my phone "Instant Pot ______" and you'll get a dozen or more variations. It's actually made me look forward to the days it's my turn to cook - I actually have skills beyond the barbecue now!

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I use a big 7 Quart Stove Top Cooker for Canning Only - One of the most awesome machines I own. That's how I look at them, as a processing machine. I have never cooked with one - I would not like to have the food in direct contact with aluminum. But those Instant Pots seem to be Stainless Steel... Maybe you'll take another wack at that Coq Au Vin....

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

It's the Instant Pot. I bought the 3 quart one. I like it so much I've now got a 6 qt. one coming!

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Newt22

...Maybe you'll take another wack at that Coq Au Vin....

Hey, that might actually be worth a try!

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Yeah, I keep hearing making beans in one of these is the absolute bomb! I love making beans (of all kinds). I haven't made them yet, kind of afraid to actually. I'm almost afraid that might be the final straw for my beloved crock pots. And I do love my crock pots!

This thing is absolutely amazing! The chicken for tacos I made last night is so good I can't stop eating it. I had a partial package of chicken breasts in the freezer I'd forgotten about. Just rinsed them off and dumped them in the pot (still frozen solid), chopped up a half a left over onion, cut up a tomato I had sitting on the counter, dumped in the rest of a jar of Pace hot salsa, some taco seasoning, threw in a couple smashed cloves of garlic, some black pepper and that was it. Set it for 20 minutes and BOOM!

One of the things I've noticed with this thing is you don't have to use hardly any salt. In fact, I've not added salt at all to anything I've cooked so far, and that's fantastic. I love salt (too much), so anything that helps cut down on salt intake is an instant winner. I figured if it needed salt I'd add it later, but nothing has.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

You'll be stunned at how well it works! Like you, I love my crock pots, but boy, I'm not sure they won't be obsoleted by this thing.

Yes, you just put everything in there and turn it on. No stirring required. Some dishes require two stages for some of the more delicate ingredients.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important dish of all I made in my list above! I made Corned beef and cabbage that was absolutely the best I've ever made. The whole corned beef was too big to fit in my lil' guy so I just cut it in half, and scaled everything down. Over the top good! This was a two stage dish, and it was done in 30 minutes (compared to hours and hours on the stove). Better corned beef than you can buy in a NY Deli! Gone...instantly! It was so freaking good, the next morning I got up and stuck the other half in the pot and made another one to cut up for sammiches. And let me tell ya, those sammiches ROCKED!!

ETA - And get this...I put the corned beef on, went and took a shower, got ready for work, and by the time I was done I had corned beef ready for slicing for sandwiches! That's how fast this thing is.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I have a stove top pressure cooker. The darling of the pressure cooker is the artichoke- 15 minutes

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Ive been waiting to hear this from an actual consumer!
Looks like ill be buying one when i go out shopping today!

Thanks

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Bought an Instant Pot last year. It functioned normally for about six times.

Since then I've had nothing but problems with it maintaining pressure despite following the manufacturer's directions.

P O S .

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
I have a stove top pressure cooker. The darling of the pressure cooker is the artichoke- 15 minutes

might have to get one for that alone,love artichokes, but they take forever the old way

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I would recommend people realize this is very effecient, you are losing very little energy, thus rapid cooking. If you dont understand that going in you could have a tendacy to overcook your meat. This is bad, you effectively break down any connective fats and tissue that holds the meat together, which makes it super tender, but utterly flavorless. Stick to the recommended setting or recipes specific to the product, even if the timing seems to short to you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join