It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palu Tsunami - A Ship Has Washed Ashore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
There is an earlier thread from Stormcell www.abovetopsecret.com...

and this link

www.ndtv.com/world-news/indonesian-city-hit-by-tsu nami-after-strong-earthquake-reports-1923897

has been updated :

JAKARTA: HIGHLIGHTS Powerful 7.5 magnitude earthquake strikes central Indonesia Epicentre 78 km north of Palu Indonesia, says US geological Survey One person was killed, 10 injured in a quake in Indonesia hours earlier A tsunami up to two metres high hit a small city on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi on Friday after a major 7.5 quake struck offshore,collapsing buildings and washing a vessel ashore, but officials could provide no information on casualties.

Here is a video

The quake hit as dusk fell and communications were down and the airport closed, making it impossible to assess the damage to life and property, officials said. National Disaster Mitigation Agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said communications had been cut both in the city of Palu, a sleepy but growing tourist resort, and the nearby fishing town of Donggala, closest to the epicentre of the quake 80 km (50 miles) away.

Check Palu on the map it is a large city which is 90% on a very wide floodplain , flat barely 1-2 metres above sea level . It is at the end of a giant funnel shape on the end of the central island of Sulawesi . Maps link : Use Ctrl and 3d near sea level . Serious situation

People are not able to communicate with Palu . The head of the Indonesian geophysics agency said this :

Officials hope to be able to gauge the scale of the damage at daybreak after the strongest of a series of earthquakes that continued late into the evening. More than 600,000 people live in Palu and Donggala. "The 1.5- to two-metre tsunami has receded," Dwikorita Karnawati, who heads Indonesia's meteorology and geophysics agency, BMKG, told Reuters. "It ended. The situation is chaotic, people are running on the streets and buildings collapsed. There is a ship washed ashore." BMKG had earlier issued a tsunami warning, but lifted it within the hour. Amateur footage shown by local TV stations, which could not immediately be authenticated by Reuters, showed waters crashing into houses along Palu's shoreline.

By the look of the footage the tsunami wave shown was a bit more than 1-2 metres , and followed initial inundation .

It is currently night-time in Sulawesi so we will be looking for footage of the vessel amd further reports in the next few hours . The media always downplays the death-toll, damge reports etc in these situations , and this is looking , primarily from the sat images maps , very bad. A worst case scenario since a tsunami warning was lifted , and since there are very few tall buildings anyway amongst the dense sprawl of the city , and since the
majority's proximity to sea level is very close , and since Palu is at the end of a geological funnel , we could be seeing a very serious occurrence here with over half a million people badly affected , if not dead .

Look for the ship/vessel , and day-break reports , check map satellite 3d view recommended

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
That area of the world needs some prayers.

Anyoke know what the phrase was, that the man kept repeating in the last clip?

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

edit on 28-9-2018 by DoctorBluechip because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

This appears to be video from the ship , which seems to be grounded on top of where Palu should be , at one edge of the floodplain . From seeing the surrounding topography , it unfortunately seems to be that Palu may have been entirely devasted by the tsunami, this footage may have been taken at the full height of inundation possibly 15-20 ft, enough to cover nearly everything with water . Footage of earthquake aftermath is available , with severe cracking of roads . Tsunami footage from there may be hard to find because its looking like Palu was near entirely inundated shortly after . This may not be the case however

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I was wondering that too... but it definitely seemed like praying to me.
a reply to: KansasGirl

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

Tried to figure that out...but he also said allahu akbar "God is Great" or rather, in this context, "Oh Dear God".
edit on 28-9-2018 by Namdru because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DoctorBluechip

Washed ashore? i've seen the footage of the tsunami, it was almost certainly thrown ashore.

As for this

The media always downplays the death-toll, damge reports etc in these situations , and this is looking , primarily from the sat images maps , very bad.

Your'e preaching to the choir. i wouldn't be surprised if thousands were dead let alone the damage bill and damages to tourist revenue...take a million and throw in an extra zero...that's just the start.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Ellie Sagan

He is saying "(I) seek the forgiveness of Allah" and something about Palu .

Palu may well have been mostly pulled into the ocean as it appears the tsunami has overtopped all of the city .

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru

Tried to figure that out...but he also said allahu akbar "God is Great" or rather, in this context, "Oh Dear God".

Doesnt sound like i]allahu akbar at all phonetically it sounds like astoo bardem astoo bardem over and over

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Good if you agree. It appears to be worse than that though , there won't be anything left there as far as I can see , there being perhaps over 400 000 dead .

That would mean one of the top 3 deadliest natural disasters since 1900 happened a few hours ago

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip
a reply to: Ellie Sagan

He is saying "(I) seek the forgiveness of Allah" and something about Palu .

Palu may well have been mostly pulled into the ocean as it appears the tsunami has overtopped all of the city .

Thanks for the reply I heard Palu mentioned early on.

This looked savage and in that one clip it looked higher than 1-2 meters.
Hope international relief effort is being mobilized..

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

There's maybe not too much they can do after the scale of it - like in Banda Ache they'll either be left alive , or for the most part ,gone along with everything else . There's so little footage coming out , and it's all come from very lucky vantage points . Some or perhaps most of the post earthquake footage immediately available may have been uploaded by people who have since been inundated
edit on 28-9-2018 by DoctorBluechip because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Good if you agree. It appears to be worse than that though , there won't be anything left there as far as I can see , there being perhaps over 400 000 dead .

That would mean one of the top 3 deadliest natural disasters since 1900 happened a few hours ago

There will be many deaths, that's a given-time will tell however I believe a flood in China in the 30's was the highest, about three million and i think and an earthquake in china...sorry I digress.

But I think we can both agree that this island will take a helluva long time to recover. That wall of water packed one hell of a punch, and given the fact Indonesia has vested interests in tourism, all we do is pray for safety of those who are still missing.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

With map

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru

Did he say allahu akbar? They speak Arabic in Indonesia, do they?

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Maybe - as they're on a ship marked AML

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
My prayers for those who suffered this event. How many things can change in minutes for one's life? Hug your children because you never know the day when mother nature or man reaps disaster. I came to realize that fact back last year when a tornado hit and wiped out every tree in my yard but by the grace of God, my home and family was spared.

Life is precious don't take things for granite that things can happen in the blink of an eye that changes everything.

I watched just a minute of one of the videos and it was enough to know the loss of life will be shocking.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

They speak Arabic in Indonesia, do they?

Well, actually Bahasa, but because of the limited vocabulary they borrow phrases from many other languages.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

They speak Arabic in Indonesia, do they?

Well, actually Bahasa, but because of the limited vocabulary they borrow phrases from many other languages.

Thank you. And I've since read that it's the largest Muslim-majority country in the world, so he probably really was saying "Allah Akbar."

new topics

top topics

join