It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hayabusa 2 Rovers Send New Images from Asteroid Ryugu Surface...AMAZING!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+50 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Hayabusa 2 rovers send new images from Ryugu surface
www.bbc.com...

The photos reveal new details of the surface of the space rock, which is known as Ryugu.

On 21 September, the rovers were released on to the surface by the "mothership", Hayabusa 2.

Hayabusa 2 reached Ryugu in June after a three-and-a-half-year journey.

The pictures show in clear relief the rugged, boulder-strewn landscape of this striking Solar System body.

The robots, known as Rover 1A and Rover 1B, are now both confirmed to be working on the surface of the space rock.

The 1kg autonomous rovers move about by hopping, using the asteroid's low gravity. Each one contains a motor-powered internal mass that rotates to generate force, propelling the robot across the surface.

Some more pictures from the source:

Also there appears to be a twitter video released as well stating

Rover 1B also sent back the first video footage from the surface of an asteroid.
although it won't play on this news source....

...so, after going through some twitter feeds, here is the .gif of the captures...plus other pictures of the surface HAYABUSA2 TWITTER FEED

And for those who want a shortcut video showing many images including the short movie check this YT clip:

Another cool picture captured:

As Hayabusa2 descended towards Ryugu to deploy the MINERVA-II1 rovers, the ONC-T camera snapped the highest resolution image yet of the asteroid surface!

www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp...

Anyways I think this is really cool and I am looking forward to more images to see what it looks like on the surface of an asteroid

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
This is really awesome! I just hope those looking for things that aren't there do not start speculating that oddly shaped landscape features look like tires, pillars, and garden hoes.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

To me it seems interesting that there seems to be a lot of rock 'rubble' I guess you could say, but it seems the asteroid has enough gravitational property to it to keep it firmly attached to the asteroid and not be ejected.

That's cool!

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

I think I saw a lawn gnome!

Seriously OP that's awesome. Great find.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I saw it, too!!

These pictures are so cool. From the time I was a little boy (some would say I still am--but I digress...), I have loved these sorts of photographs.

Mariner. Pioneer. Voyager. Viking. ...and all the myriad others over the past 40 odd years. Visions of far off places strange, and wonderful, some vaguely familiar looking, and still wonderful.

Miles high dust devils on Mars. A hurricane that could swallow the Earth. Another planet so gaseous that were your bucket big enough, it'd float on water. ...and as we peer further out into the Cosmos, other wonders have begun to make themselves known. Vistas spanning such distances that even light takes thousands, even millions, of years to travel.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   
BullS***

This is fake. The images they take of near Earth objects is like pixel grainy stuff barely legible.

This is a computerized image of something somewhere, but not in space and not thousands of miles away.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

I don't suppose there's any point in asking you for your evidence of this??

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
BullS***

This is fake. The images they take of near Earth objects is like pixel grainy stuff barely legible.

This is a computerized image of something somewhere, but not in space and not thousands of miles away.

You realize these images released are from Japan's space agency and not NASA right?

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Well done thread and I for one thank you for posting..S&F

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Very cool, some of those rocks almost look like they're water worn, river rocks. Maybe worn down over millennia by space dust?

As for picture quality, the Japanese are the masters of technology, if anyone can take hi-def crystal clear pics in space it's definitely them.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing more, hard to believe it's an actual comet hurtling through the void.

I'm pretty sure I see the garden gnome too!
edit on 28-9-2018 by Osirisvset because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Great job OP!

I think everyone on ATS loves these type of posts.
Well maybe not everyone i guess.

Theres always one at every party.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: Masisoar

I think I saw a lawn gnome!

Seriously OP that's awesome. Great find.

If it had a couple of weeds, I would have thought this was my back yard.

Really is a great find of a great shot.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

prove it !

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Fantastic, love the video , so cool to think we have achieved this

great work from JAXA

DOMO ARIGATO MR HAYABUSA ROBOTO

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Amazing! I was half expecting to see Bruce Willis with a drilling rig...

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Very cool images. It must be mentioned that they looks like that because of fish-eye lens.

Here's one of the images adjusted for lens correction and angle: twitter.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Kinda looks exactly like we thought it would. Still an amazing feat.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Sweet, thanks for sharing!!

Honestly, I was hoping there would be some sphagetti there though.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masisoar
This is really awesome! I just hope those looking for things that aren't there do not start speculating that oddly shaped landscape features look like tires, pillars, and garden hoes.

It would be funny if it had picked bits of space debris of old booster rockets, O-rings, bolts and cables, looking like someone had fly-tipped the contents of a flat-bed truck.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Hey look. Rocks!

Rocks Everywhere.

But seriously. That's a hell of an accomplishment.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join